The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bonjour de Toulon - France

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
It's a bit cheeky that the guy stubbornly posts in French, since he understands English.

Please make the effort to post in English, if no other reason then you will get a much better response to your thread or post if the main bulk of the community members can understand it.“

I will put him on the ignore list as I don’t understand him anyway
Talking of that ignore list. How do I disable it? I seem to have some people on ignore but certainly don‘t remember clicking any buttons to enable it. Thanks.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:28 PM
Reaction score
It's a bit cheeky that the guy stubbornly posts in French, since he understands English.

Please make the effort to post in English, if no other reason then you will get a much better response to your thread or post if the main bulk of the community members can understand it.“

I will put him on the ignore list as I don’t understand him anyway

If we want that this forum represents ALL (future) Grenadier owners, we should be more tolerant concerning posting in other languages, otherwise this forum will stay mainly the "UK, Australian, USA" forum.

It isn't because you understand some English that you can write a decent sentence. I understand quite some German but can't write a decent phrase, or even have a good conversation.

South-America could be an interesting market for the Grenadier, but most South Americans don't speak English: do we want them on "our" forum? I would vote: YES.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I disagree.

If we want that this forum represents ALL (future) Grenadier owners

we should practise a common language.

The web offers all tools and as we can see, the translation shown above is excellent.

And everybody which doesn't understand french will have to utilize a web-translator otherwise. So with respect to 'precision' there is no difference in doing this from start or posting in french or Kisualheli or whatsoever and let the others do the translation. Same result - be it precise or not.

The difference is however, that a translation by the poster is work for one person, but leaving this to others is work for a dozen persons.

We have seen Manuel from Spain taking the effort and there was nothing unclear and was very much appreciated - at least by me.

I consider it strange that others chime in and overtake what could easily be done by the poster as well: the translation - which is unavoidable for many. So why shouldn't that be done from start?

It has to do with respect, imho.

Last edited:

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I disagree.

The translation shown above is excellent. And everybody which doesn't understand french will have to utilize a web-translator. So there is no difference in doing this from start or posting in french and let the others do the translation. Same result - be it precise or not.

The difference is however, that a translation by the poster is work for one person, but leaving this to others is work for a dozen persons.

We have seen Manuel from Spain taking the effort and there was nothing unclear and was very much appreciated - at least by me.

I consider it strange that others chime in overtake what could easlily be done py the poster as well: the translation - which is unavoidable for many. So why shouldn't that be done from start?

It has to do with respect, imho.
OK, I agree partially, what I disagree completely is being rude on the forum.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
do we want them on "our" forum? I would vote: YES.
That is polarizing.

We want them, just like we want Germans, Spaniards, or whatever mother tongue someone has. And there's generally no problem with that either. Especially not if the person in question can apparently handle English with the help of the free tools available.

So I think your question is misleading. No one wants to exclude someone just because they have a different native language.

Ich wäre ja sonst gar nicht hier.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
what I disagree completely is being rude on the forum.
As far as I am concerned, I hopefully wasn't.

blueTdi might have been a bit sloppy. Or may be a bit pissed, who knows?

But I'd just call it 'distinct'. It's just the core problem of different languages: to find the right word if things seem critical. And thats' the point where I completely agree with you: tolerance. Translations often fail if you want to express things precisely. And tolerance, and some reading skills can help with that, I think.

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
emax has said everything.
I am not intolerant with the forum if I hide for me the posts of someone whose contributions I don’t understand. He can post whatever and as often he wants, but I must no longer see it and be irritated. It is not rude to anyone it is just my preference. That is what a ignore list is for.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
we should practise a common language.

The web offers all tools and as we can see, the translation shown above is excellent.

I agree with @emax in several ways, none more than suggesting it is easier for the poster to translate his post as opposed to each of us having to cut and paste into a different website. In that sense, if the worry is that something might be lost in translation, include the original text and the translation.

I would also like to express that I want as many people as possible with respect to different cultures and languages and locations. While the primary English speaking nations are well represented, it would be a disservice to us all to “ignore” anyone in our community. This forum/club is The GLOBAL Grenadiers and that’s what makes it awesome. All seven (realistically six) continents should be well represented.

—-

Je suis d'accord avec @emax à plusieurs égards, rien de plus que de suggérer qu'il est plus facile pour l'affiche de traduire son message au lieu que chacun de nous doive couper et coller dans un site Web différent. En ce sens, si vous craignez que quelque chose ne se perde dans la traduction, incluez le texte original et la traduction.

Je voudrais également exprimer que je veux autant de personnes que possible en ce qui concerne les différentes cultures, langues et lieux. Alors que les principales nations anglophones sont bien représentées, ce serait un mauvais service pour nous tous "d'ignorer" quiconque dans notre communauté. Ce forum/club est The GLOBAL Grenadiers et c'est ce qui le rend génial. Les sept (en réalité six) continents devraient être bien représentés.

Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
And even less people speak french, spanish, kisuaheli or chinese.

A lingua franca is the common choice all over the world to communicate with each other. And I consider it a matter of politeness to join in.

To each his own. But I will definitely not follow topics that I can only understand with the help of translators for half a dozen languages.

Even the Tower Of Bable failed because they did not use a common language.
mmm... Surely people should be free to post in their own language, and any who understands should be free to reply in the said language. It's sad that you refuse to use google translate, but encourage others to post in a language they don't understand using google translate. This to me is impolite. I must say that I am english, but I grew up in a multilanguage world french, english and the local langua franca.

I disagree with the tower of bable analogy, the tower was built by those who had the same language, god saw this and that they were proud, so he dispersed the languages.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was a very early user of Skype when it was “invented” in 2003 in Europe, and became a very active forum user (got even a badge; I had also a blog about Skype user statistics and so on).

After some time, the forum became so big , that they could open some “other language” subsections. Skype had at some moments more than 70 million users online! In August 2006 there were 100.000 registered usernames on the Skype forum.

Of course, I understand that we will never have the huge amount of Grenadier users and Grenadier forum members like Skype had. Therefore, it is probably not interesting to open other language sections, although …

The markets and laws concerning cars (safety, pollution, and so on), are quite different between Australia, the US, Western Europe, Africa, etc.

Perhaps we could, once the member mass is big enough, open subsections per region: quite some African countries speak French, Latina-America is mainly Spanish, … I wouldn’t rule it out!

But I agree, it is much too early!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As the original Australian Diggers once said when fighting in France. "Up the Old Red Rooster and More Piss" You must have heard of that Froggie?
?

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
LOL you tell 'em Les. In the spirit of international relations...

It's from a patriotic poem and toast of the Australian military. The recital ends with "Up the old red rooster" to which all gathered respond "More piss!” (eg drinks). It's kind of a dig at the formal toast in an officers mess.
Its origins AFAIK are undocumented, but presumably "Up the Old Red Rooster" refers to the Gallic Rooster (eg Vive la France)... which dates it back to the WW1 ANZAC deployment and defence of France.
"Diggers" being Australian/New Zealand infantry and "Froggie" of course meaning Frenchman.

Last edited:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
mmm... Surely people should be free to post in their own language, and any who understands should be free to reply in the said language. It's sad that you refuse to use google translate, but encourage others to post in a language they don't understand using google translate. This to me is impolite. I must say that I am english, but I grew up in a multilanguage world french, english and the local langua franca.

I disagree with the tower of bable analogy, the tower was built by those who had the same language, god saw this and that they were proud, so he dispersed the languages.
I have to agree with emax...I will not be bothered using translate and just move on in the forum...pretty simple equation that one person translates, if they wish to be part of the big picture...and I welcome that...I do respect choice and choose not to bother...happy motoring

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
LOL you tell 'em Les. In the spirit of international relations...

It's from a patriotic poem and toast of the Australian military. The recital ends with "Up the old red rooster" to which all gathered respond "More piss (eg drinks)!". It's kind of a dig at the formal toast in an officers mess.
Its origins AFAIK are undocumented, but presumably "Up the Old Red Rooster" refers to the Gallic Rooster (eg Vive la France)... which dates it back to the WW1 ANZAC deployment and defence of France.
"Diggers" being Australian/New Zealand infantry and "Froggie" of course meaning Frenchman.
I think that one of the Australian Army Divisions in France during WW1 adopted (stole) a local Red Rooster as their Unit mascot and thats what started it all.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was a very early user of Skype when it was “invented” in 2003 in Europe, and became a very active forum user (got even a badge; I had also a blog about Skype user statistics and so on).

After some time, the forum became so big , that they could open some “other language” subsections. Skype had at some moments more than 70 million users online! In August 2006 there were 100.000 registered usernames on the Skype forum.

Of course, I understand that we will never have the huge amount of Grenadier users and Grenadier forum members like Skype had. Therefore, it is probably not interesting to open other language sections, although …

The markets and laws concerning cars (safety, pollution, and so on), are quite different between Australia, the US, Western Europe, Africa, etc.

Perhaps we could, once the member mass is big enough, open subsections per region: quite some African countries speak French, Latina-America is mainly Spanish, … I wouldn’t rule it out!

But I agree, it is much too early!
Coming together...uniting...inclusion are just a few ways to say what the Grenadier forum is doing...I was quite stunned to see the common thread of what age are the Grenadier participants take such diverse and interesting angles...the common thread is what will keep us together...losing sight of that segregates...that's not what it is about...hopefully we will unite and wave and have a beer together...with sign language if we have to(y)

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
I think that one of the Australian Army Divisions in France during WW1 adopted (stole) a local Red Rooster as their Unit mascot and thats what started it all.
Bugger me, Les - let’s at least tell them it’s their national symbol then, not something we nicked from a barnyard.

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Bugger me, Les - let’s at least tell them it’s their national symbol then, not something we nicked from a barnyard.
Perhaps we could paint a Red Rooster as a symbol on the conning tower of our submarines, .... just for fun.

Back
Top Bottom