The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

bmw/ ineos - s58 engine (running costs out of warranty)

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
3:17 PM
Reaction score
As I understand it.

BMW engine warranty 4 years 50,000 miles

INEOS engine warranty 5 years 60,000 miles

This is for North America.

For the rest of the world the numbers differ.

Lets come back to this after a few years.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:17 AM
Reaction score
In EU and UK 5 years unlimited km !

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:17 AM
Reaction score
many think this engine is a HR. one of the best engines that BMW has ever made. YO even used it in one of their cars as well.

but if this engine is so great why can you buy a pre-owned bmw that has one for such a great savings? (there's no mad rush to gobble these up) plus there's no denying that pre owned bmw prices crater something awful.

if peeps are afraid of (out of warranty) high cost repairs in a BMW why wouldn't they feel the same way with the ineos?
I am starting to suspect this sad sack is actually being paid by someone to try and undermine the Grenadier, because it is hard to understand why someone who didn’t like them would voluntarily spend so much of their time on a forum dedicated to them unless they were paid?

RMLC?

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have been driving German vehicles of different brands and types for more than 40 years, usually between 30.000 and 50.000 kilometres per year. There were brand new and expensive ones like several Mercedes ML and old, used ones like Volkswagen T2 / T3 / T4, Audis, BMW. In all these years I had two severe engine problems, one was my fault, wrong maintenance on a VW T2 build 1975 with 200.000 km and the other was probably also bad
maintenance of a Mercedes /8 200D, at km 700.000 (I was the owner #5). This, obviously my personal statics, makes me quite optimistic for the livetime of the fine BMW 6 cylinder engine, I do not expect any severe problems in the course of my personal residual lifespan and am planning to inherit it, once the time has come. Keep faith in this masterpiece of German engineering.
Take a look under the hood of the latest Toyota Supra 6 cyl. Toyota must have faith.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
does that mean I can take it to YO and have them fix it with YO 58 parts?
This is answered in the north american Q&A section by INEOS Americas

And by YO I'm assuming that you're referring to TOYOTA (3 year 36,000 mile warranty)

Local time
6:17 PM
Reaction score
This is answered in the north american Q&A section by INEOS Americas

And by YO I'm assuming that you're referring to TOYOTA (3 year 36,000 mile warranty)

the danbury hub is stated as tri-state autos. there's no bmw dealership in danbury.

I googled tri state auto and came up with this. they operate as an automotive consultant/broker

https://theautochamps.com

which may or may not be the company working with ineos. I don't think they repair or fix cars.

sne

Local time
Reaction score
Take a look under the hood of the latest Toyota Supra 6 cyl. Toyota must have faith.
Obviously, yes. However B58 version tuned to 430 HP if I read correctly, certainly a tougher challenge for the component reliability compared to Grenadier spec.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
the danbury hub is stated as tri-state autos. there's no bmw dealership in danbury.

I googled tri state auto and came up with this. they operate as an automotive consultant/broker

which may or may not be the company working with ineos. I don't think they repair or fix cars.
?

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
As an owner of a 2010 335d with the M57 diesel engine, I can definitively say that ownership costs could put the unprepared in the poor house!

That being said, the constant litany of failures and shockingly expensive replacement parts have all been confined to everything but the engine.
The engine is rock solid reliable, and mine is tuned to 350+ hp and 600+ torques. Never a problem other than 1 walnut blasting. The tune eliminated that problem in the future by coding out EGR.
The tune also gained me about 4 mpg too. 40+ on the highway.

The engine is so nice and the car such a maintenance nightmare that I might just shove it off in the weeds and put the engine in something else. (like a Gren)

Local time
Reaction score
As an owner of a 2010 335d with the M57 diesel engine, I can definitively say that ownership costs could put the unprepared in the poor house!

That being said, the constant litany of failures and shockingly expensive replacement parts have all been confined to everything but the engine.
The engine is rock solid reliable, and mine is tuned to 350+ hp and 600+ torques. Never a problem other than 1 walnut blasting. The tune eliminated that problem in the future by coding out EGR.
The tune also gained me about 4 mpg too. 40+ on the highway.

The engine is so nice and the car such a maintenance nightmare that I might just shove it off in the weeds and put the engine in something else. (like a Gren)

wait..what.....is this positive or negative?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

This isn't comprehendible.... What are you talking about?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Let’s just stop here and now for 12 hours.
Calm down and think over why it is so important to share your unique point of view with so many others for the fifth time in a circle.
And I mean not one person. If it is so important to show others that you are right and they are wrong this topic is really not important enough. Search for another one. As a wise person said here “go find you a life” (or similar)

Local time
Reaction score
This isn't comprehendible.... What are you talking about?

one of the hubs grenadier selected as the pick up location for when you get your grenadier is located in danbury CT. they didn't give much more info at the time of the order other than saying the location was "tri state ..auto" or something along those lines. a large car dealership name was given as the intermediary or pick up location.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
one of the hubs grenadier selected as the pick up location for when you get your grenadier is located in danbury CT. they didn't give much more info at the time of the order other than saying the location was "tri state ..auto" or something along those lines. a large car dealership name was given as the intermediary or pick up location.

Ahh ok that makes more sense, but why would there need to be a BMW dealership there? Ineos dealerships are standalone and not tied to BMW dealers in any way (unless the same umbrella also happens to have a BMW dealer)

Local time
Reaction score
Ahh ok that makes more sense, but why would there need to be a BMW dealership there? Ineos dealerships are standalone and not tied to BMW dealers in any way (unless the same umbrella also happens to have a BMW dealer)

well, I would think IG would partner with somebody that would provide more of a service than just handing the car to you.

I used bmw as an example because it has a bmw engine. if Toyota could fix potential problems and have their version of parts, and is in the IG network that would be more beneficial cost wise down the road if needed.

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
wait..what.....is this positive or negative?
Kinda both...?

The car is fantastic, but I can see why resale values are so low.
Costs an arm and a leg to maintain.

But, I have high hopes for the reliability of the engine in the Gren.
Although I have only had the diesel, from what I've gathered; the 58 petrol engine is just as much a gem.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:17 AM
Reaction score
well, I would think IG would partner with somebody that would provide more of a service than just handing the car to you.

I used bmw as an example because it has a bmw engine. if Toyota could fix potential problems and have their version of parts, and is in the IG network that would be more beneficial cost wise down the road if needed.
The agents are able to provide service and parts. Depending on the agent they are often a part of another brand dealership as well. Mine is ironically a Jaguar/Land Rover dealer.

Back
Top Bottom