The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas BMW B58 Breakdown Video

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:53 PM
Reaction score

A video of the breakdown of a busted B58 BMW engine. Don't know enough about engines to comment, thought some might find it interesting.

SPOILER ALERT:
Looks like the car went through water and got water into the engine. Engine no compress water....

$21k for an engine. I assume Ineos is getting a better deal than that, but something to keep in mind if you have to replace the engine out or warranty/insurance.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
I love these morons for the entertainment. I sometimes exercise predictions with my son: Will he/she get through without damage or not?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:53 PM
Reaction score
It's never the engine's fault ;)

Cavaleiro

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
During the high water in the Eifel, I was unfortunately able to observe many attempts of neighbours that rarely went well. Some of the people in the video might have had a chance with a slower passage and therefor less bow wave.

When the Unimog of the fire brigade ended here with engine damage in the flood I knew, even with the Defender I wouldn't have a chance and didn't even try.

Cavaleiro

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Air intake shall be above the waterline - always. Drivers fault.

The usual increased air intake does not always result in increased wading depth. The whole thing must also be made watertight and requires more adjustment. I don't think Ineos says that the wading depth increases with Snorkel, does it?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The snorkel option is ONLY for taking CLEANER air at a higher level - it has nothing to do with allowing greater wading depth
Indeed. Never exceed wading depth specified. However most water in engine get the "air"way - not through Air hoses / tubes. The snorkel at Grenadier - is to reduce dust in air.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Most of them didn't fail due to a water strike, but due to failing electronics.

Many of the cars stopped somewhat later at the end of the ford. With a real water strike the engine is likely to get stuck quite rudely and would IMHO not let the car roll out smoothly.

But even 'only' a ruined electronic might be the death sentence for the entire car. There is no way any more to diagnose which ECUs, cables or sensors are defective as the entire OBD system has simply been knocked out.

And this was nothing less than a total economic loss. It would cost a fortune to exchange the entire electronics, sensors and cables - if possible at all.

Last edited:

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Does somebody know what hight the differentials primings (don´t know if this is the right word) are?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
You probably mean the breathers / air vents?

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
yes you are right the word is axis ventilation. I thought about the priming of pumps to get the air out of the system.
Should have translate it before writing..

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
In that context I have often heard 'breathers'.

I don't know the height. But a youtube video suggests to mount an own solution with an extension tube which ends just directly under the bonnet. Not too complicated a DIY solution.

Last edited:

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Isn’t the ability to turn off the cooling fans important too, to keep the blades from deforming from turning from a fan to a propeller?

A wrangler has 33in/85cm of fording depth, what is the number for the Grenedier?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
According to an Ineos document (don't remember which one) the 'wading' mode does exactly that.

Local time
3:53 AM
Reaction score
Wading mode turns off the fan. The wading depth is 800mm with or without the raised air intake.
That's right. The "raised air intake" has no impact on wading depth, because it is not a true "snorkle" - i.e. it is not water-tight.

It is my understanding that - by definition (if one is being technically correct) - a "raised air intake" is just for pulling in cleaner air, whereas a "snorkle" is fully sealed so as to prevent water intrusion. But we're all lazy and use the terms interchangeably. I just think people like saying "snorkle".

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I think so as well. I first thought it's the same, but the official Ineos documents all say 'raised air intake' which seemed suspicious to me.

And voila, after some research: knowing full well that it's not a snorkel, they worded it exactly that way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom