The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas BMW B58TU2 petrol engine revision for 2022 will we get this version?

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:32 PM
Reaction score
I came across this article regarding a new version of the B58 petrol v6 version B58TU2

https://bimmerlife.com/2022/04/22/bmw-b58-inline-six-receives-technical-update/

This version of the B58 seems to have introduced several very beneficial updates, one in particular is the addition of a secondary port fuel injection system that should help reduce carbon build up on the intake valves. This is a common issue with engines that only have direct injection have and which port injection together with direct injection resolves or drastically reduces

Anyone know if we will get this version or at least get it for North America release?

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:32 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for the update @Xrford (y) Very interesting. Indicates that with all the media fanboy hype on electric vehicles, BMW are still ensuring their ICE line is being continuously improved..

t can't say the same for the article ... I wonder sometimes who writes this stuff e.g.

"The Valvetronic fully variable valve control system for the intake side has been democratized to the exhaust side of the cylinder...""
(my emphasis)

Really??? ""democratized" wonder if the Vanos got a vote on this?? How about ..."... has been relocated..."
end of rant 🤬

EDIT: Can't help myself ...I notice that the author is Alex Tock. so (trigger warning Dad joke) " Sorry Alex, while the article is informative, you score a "D" from me: in other words "no tick for Tock" :cool::rolleyes:

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:32 PM
Reaction score
Perhaps it's just a poor auto translation that someone's not proof read fully?

I do wonder about labelling something like "the cylinder head and exhaust manifold are now one integrated component" as a beneficial update?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Since Ineos was supposed to have configured (modified?) the B58 for the Gren, I wonder if it's worth the time investment to update the new spec. Provided BMW can and will still provide Ineos with the pre-updated engine, it might be the path forward for the immediate future. The article did note the increase in HP (+40) and torque (52) which I'm certain would help move along a 6,000 pound truck.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:32 PM
Reaction score
I came across this article regarding a new version of the B58 petrol v6 version B58TU2

https://bimmerlife.com/2022/04/22/bmw-b58-inline-six-receives-technical-update/

This version of the B58 seems to have introduced several very beneficial updates, one in particular is the addition of a secondary port fuel injection system that should help reduce carbon build up on the intake valves. This is a common issue with engines that only have direct injection have and which port injection together with direct injection resolves or drastically reduces

Anyone know if we will get this version or at least get it for North America release?

I can at least confirm that I was told by my agent yesterday, that they now fit the very latest and most up to date B57 from BMW. It has amongst others an improved DPF implementation. But I don't know details about the improvements.

Alas, I have no information about the B58.

Deepblue

#00274 - Swiss Vehicle (SD1-1/63)
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Since Ineos was supposed to have configured (modified?) the B58 for the Gren, I wonder if it's worth the time investment to update the new spec. Provided BMW can and will still provide Ineos with the pre-updated engine, it might be the path forward for the immediate future. The article did note the increase in HP (+40) and torque (52) which I'm certain would help move along a 6,000 pound truck.
Maybe I just take this as an opportunity: the longer I have to wait for delivery of my grenadier the more likely a new version of BMW engine with more power will come with it. Or would you say I‘m too optimistic… 🤓

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
More power - completely new certifying.

I don't think so.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe I just take this as an opportunity: the longer I have to wait for delivery of my grenadier the more likely a new version of BMW engine with more power will come with it. Or would you say I‘m too optimistic… 🤓
Having driven the diesel twice I was very happy with the power, torque and acceleration.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Having driven the diesel twice I was very happy with the power, torque and acceleration.
I assume you got that impression from Perth as the course in Brisbane didn’t give any real demonstration of power torque or acceleration- it was simply too short and tight a course to do so. A bit hard when you don’t go over 15km/hr.

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the update @Xrford (y) Very interesting. Indicates that with all the media fanboy hype on electric vehicles, BMW are still ensuring their ICE line is being continuously improved..

t can't say the same for the article ... I wonder sometimes who writes this stuff e.g.

"The Valvetronic fully variable valve control system for the intake side has been democratized to the exhaust side of the cylinder...""
(my emphasis)

Really??? ""democratized" wonder if the Vanos got a vote on this?? How about ..."... has been relocated..."
end of rant 🤬

EDIT: Can't help myself ...I notice that the author is Alex Tock. so (trigger warning Dad joke) " Sorry Alex, while the article is informative, you score a "D" from me: in other words "no tick for Tock" :cool::rolleyes:
I think it means that the fuel gets to vote in a referendum, as to whether or not it will be ignited in a transformational explosion. 😁

YIPPE

GG #00286
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I assume you got that impression from Perth as the course in Brisbane didn’t give any real demonstration of power torque or acceleration- it was simply too short and tight a course to do so. A bit hard when you don’t go over 15km/hr.
Had the impression in Sydney (Cessnock) myself. Had a great straight, mind you loose dirt. Hit 70km in a very short strip. Lost grip on take off but acceleration was unbelievable (coming from a 43kw 300tdi discovery, anything is haha)

Local time
Reaction score
From the article: "The B58TU2, as BMW refers to it, develops 380 horsepower in Europe and 375 in the U.S., along with 383 pound-feet of torque."

Sadly - and I hope this doesn't make you too crabby 😁 - the 8HP51 version of the ZF 8-speed transmission that is paired with the B58 engine in the Grenadier, has a max torque rating of 369 lb. ft.

So even if we got the TU2 version of the B58 (instead of the TU1 version) - we are not going to see power numbers like that. Ineos would have to detune the engine quite a bit (or change trannies). I don't know what guidelines are followed by vehicle manufacturers with regard to how close they will let an engine come to the max torque rating of the transmission, but right now, the B58 in the Grenadier makes 332 lb ft. of torque, while the max torque rating of the transmission is 369 (about 11% higher).

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From the article: "The B58TU2, as BMW refers to it, develops 380 horsepower in Europe and 375 in the U.S., along with 383 pound-feet of torque."

Sadly - and I hope this doesn't make you too crabby 😁 - the 8HP51 version of the ZF 8-speed transmission that is paired with the B58 engine in the Grenadier, has a max torque rating of 369 lb. ft.

So even if we got the TU2 version of the B58 (instead of the TU1 version) - we are not going to see power number like that. Ineos would have to detune the engine quite a bit (or change trannies). I don't know what guidelines are followed by vehicle manufacturers with regard to how close they will let an engine come to the max torque rating of the transmission, but right now, the B58 in the Granadier makes 332 lb ft. of torque, while the max torque rating of the transmission is 369 (about 11% higher).
Good point. Thanks for ruining my day. 🫤

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes. Perth had around 5kms of tar only but I managed to really push it
1672868830368.png

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can’t lie. It helped.
Happy Rainbow GIF by Tiny Tina's Wonderlands

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
1:32 PM
Reaction score
I have read in another thread that Ineos has confirmed the N. American variant will launch with the B58TU version

https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/b58tu-variant-confirmed-petrol-engine-variant.12398740/

this version is what the Toyota supra uses and it is tuned to 382hp/369lb-ft of torque. In IG tune it is derated to 282hp/332lb-ft to allow what I am, assuming is a flater torque curve, with the focus on low rev torque using lower octane fuel.

I suspect the B58TU2 version was introduced to facilitate passing more stringent emission testing coming in the near future rather than any consequential performance gains which leads me to believe this engine will make its way into the IG in the near future but not at launch. IG will need to meet those same emission levels eventually which would thus require the same technical updates the B58TU2 provides and will most likely be derated as well to meet IG performance goals and driveline constraints as needed.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
In my study of cars over the past 50 years, the more they squeeze the original block/head, the more problems arise.

Back
Top Bottom