The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bicycle Carrier on spare wheel

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:45 PM
Reaction score
Hi,
did anyone mount a bike carrier on the spare wheel (or maybe on the ladder?)?
Not for off-road use or long term travel, only for the 200 km/miles into the next mountains.

Any comments?

Adventures

I think, I will try this one: https://www.eckla.de/produkt/der-eckla-grizzly-heckfahrradtraeger-4x4/

View attachment 7844071
Personally if you have a tow ball, I'd go for a tow ball mounted one. It's more of a permanent attachment which you could at a later time use on a longer journey.

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
I am currently making a single bike mount for the ladder with parts from loloracks.com. I have their 4 bike hitch mount rack already, but this will allow me to go solo and not have to attach the big mount.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Personally if you have a tow ball, I'd go for a tow ball mounted one. It's more of a permanent attachment which you could at a later time use on a longer journey.
+1 for tow ball (if have one). I for one would not want to add any more weight onto the rear door, also the further the weight off the back the more the force is increased.
Could be fine but not for me.

Adventures

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
The First Grenadier
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Eric,
thanks, yes I have a tow ball, but I consider:
- you need an extension of the tow ball because of the spare wheel (together with the tow ball carrier more expansive)
- opening of the rear door should be easier with the spare wheel solution

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Eric,
thanks, yes I have a tow ball, but I consider:
- you need an extension of the tow ball because of the spare wheel (together with the tow ball carrier more expansive)
- opening of the rear door should be easier with the spare wheel solution
Ah, on mine I can move the spacing of the wheel holder and upright. I needed to after coming from the Discovery. So no spacer needed. But yes I can only open the small door with it in place.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Haven't tried my tilting BuzzRack one yet. I also have a spare drop plate etc which would push the ball out a good 4"

Local time
Reaction score
I use a yakima, like above, but I have a model where I can offset the upper part to compensate for an offset tire. I also replace the mount extension with one fabbed from stainless, otherwise it can rust together if left on.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Added a 1up tray to the ladder

Attachments

• IMG_5052.jpeg
    IMG_5052.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5051.jpeg
    IMG_5051.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5050.jpeg
    IMG_5050.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5049.jpeg
    IMG_5049.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5024.jpeg
    IMG_5024.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5021.jpeg
    IMG_5021.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5019.jpeg
    IMG_5019.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 76

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Accidentally got some extra pics in there somehow. Glad they were truck pics😀

Local time
Reaction score
How can you fit it on the Grenadier?
I just tried and unfortunately the mount is designed in such a way that the part in the middle blocks the Yakima adapter plate.
That's the unit I use. On my fj60, I re manufactured it by welding on a longer stainless steel square mounting tube, so I could mount wide 35's. (if you live in a salty area, you're gonna wanna grease the slip fit of the rack to mount bar, as it will rust on and then eventually fail.)

The center section of the tire mount isn't structural, it's just to make mounting the tire easier. From the looks of it, you can remove that, drill 3 holes and bolt the yakima mount to the tire mount an use the yakima post as the tire guide. How attractive it turns out depends on how good of a fabricator you are. It's something you won't see until you pull a tire off. It won't bother me. :)

Gtzdckhs

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
That's the unit I use. On my fj60, I re manufactured it by welding on a longer stainless steel square mounting tube, so I could mount wide 35's. (if you live in a salty area, you're gonna wanna grease the slip fit of the rack to mount bar, as it will rust on and then eventually fail.)

The center section of the tire mount isn't structural, it's just to make mounting the tire easier. From the looks of it, you can remove that, drill 3 holes and bolt the yakima mount to the tire mount an use the yakima post as the tire guide. How attractive it turns out depends on how good of a fabricator you are. It's something you won't see until you pull a tire off. It won't bother me. :)
Thanks! I will try this way and will post an update. I am also assuming it is not a structural part and only serves as guidance.

Where would you drill the three holes and for what purpose?

Local time
Reaction score
I like both of these ideas (rack on the spare and the 1Up on the ladder). I already had the 1Up Heavy Duty Double rack w/ the EZ Pull, so I was committed to using it on the Grenny. An $18 seven inch hitch extender from Amazon was required in order to fit two bikes. And once the bikes are off, the EZ Pull makes it simple to lower the rack by 45 degrees so that both doors can be opened. The rack is still mostly in the way though when trying to reach in the back. The RakAttach 2.0 would solve that issue, but hard to dump yet another $500 bucks just for some extra convenience.

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I attached a Lolo Racks single bike carrier to my ladder to carry my mountain bike.

1000005087.jpg

minidok

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score
The bike will be hooked on at its front wheel and is getting support from the lowest step of the ladder. Am I right?

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The bike will be hooked on at its front wheel and is getting support from the lowest step of the ladder. Am I right?
The handle bars hang on the top hooks. The bottom wheel is secured on the bottom mount.
van_bike_rack_1.jpg

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Can you fit 2 bikes on there comfortably?

terdrocket

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I doubt 2 mountain bikes would fit due to handlebar widths

Back
Top Bottom