The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

BFG KO2 - A Great Tire

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:04 AM
Reaction score
@Nocrays
Yes there are unsealed roads in Germany, but mostly not for daily use.

We call this "Feldweg" used by agricultural vehicles. There are also a few unpaved connecting roads between smaller towns, but they are rare. And in the Alps you can still find such roads here and there, and if you're lucky you're even allowed to drive on them.

It is better in Italy and France. And there are some eastern countries where you can sometimes cover large distances off-road, e.g. in the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Romania and Bulgaria.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@CheJ
> Agree. ARH Tiger being the most recent example of shithouse procurement.

Absolutely. But I don't wonder: A French cooperation couldn't simply yield any better.

Just look at their cars.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
> lots of space for dirt, gravel, corrugated and no roads.

You mean in Australia ... ?

Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
While at. a recent Grenadier event they had both the Bridgstone and the K02 off the rim side by. side the K02 was significantly heavier than the Bridgstone. Also the steel rim was weighed quite a bit more than the same size alloy .

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
There was a posting somewhere which said that the KO2s are (or were) produced with different rubber mixtures.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:04 PM
Reaction score
There was a posting somewhere which said that the KO2s are (or were) produced with different rubber mixtures.
See previous page of this thread

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
Too many variables for me. To quote Dr Karl (popular Australian science broadcasting legend) - the plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes", not "data".

4WD's are hugely popular here, and I'd estimate 80% are running BFG A/T's. Importance? Dunno. Could just be group-think, or the fact that they're reassuringly expensive? I run them on the 110.

BFG A/T's are black, round, with a hole in the middle. Also tough, and air-down well. Many use other (probably very similar) tyres. Though last year, when 3,500km from home (still not far enough to pass the state boundary), it sure was good to pull into a cattle station with a staked tyre and find a rack of them, new and in my size.

Last edited:

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Too many variables for me. To quote Dr Karl (popular Australian science broadcasting legend) - the plural of "anecdote" is "anecdotes", not "data".

4WD's are hugely popular here, and I'd estimate 80% are running BFG A/T's. Importance? Dunno. Could just be group-think, or the fact that they're reassuringly expensive? I run them on the 110.

BFG A/T's are black, round, with a hole in the middle. Also tough, and air-down well. Many use other (probably very similar) tyres. Though last year, when 3,500km from home (still not far enough to pass the state boundary), it sure was good to pull into a cattle station with a staked tyre and find a rack of them, new and in my size.
Dr Karl. The Australian celebrity most likely to be on the cover of High Times magazine :)

It is a bit of group think but there is some logic to it. If I go for a Maxxis, Nitto or whatever then I’m taking a risk because they’re not a known quantity for most people. Better to pay a little it more and go for what the wise old heads are using.

I did the same thing for my tools as my old man’s hand me downs broke over time. I just looked at what tradie mates were using and took “inspiration” :)

The alternate is thinking you’re an expert when you’re probably not. I’ll leave that sort of experimentation til the time when I have enough experience to know what to look for.

Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
“The alternate is thinking you’re an expert when you’re probably not.”

Definition of “expert”…

Cross between a “has been” & a “drip under pressure”.

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:04 PM
Reaction score
Regards grip on wet roads… if this is a primary concern then I’d suggest fitting road tyres?

It’s a truck after all, so I try to drive my A/T shod 110 within safe limits, when on wet roads. You can’t have everything.

Local time
Reaction score
I can relate. In the late '80s I had the ATs and a few years later the MTs on a different vehicle. The latter were awful in the wet. Both were heavily promoted, (like K&N) but didn't live up to the hype -for me-. So I've never bought the brand since. Not really fair, and may be missing out on a great tire but ... there it is. From what I've read and in conversations, folks often have quite different experiences with the same tires. 🤔

I'll prob try the Bridgestone or swap out whichever ones supplied when new.
The Bridgestone on the IG has been developed for the IG (according to IG website), but it looks very similar to the stock tires on my wife’s 2019 4Runner Offroad. Even has the same name. These tires are much lighter than KO2s (in any load rating) due to thinner sidewalls and less rubber in the tread (no big lugs). We found the Bridgestone to be a good road tire (light is good for fuel economy, and it has low rolling resistance). It was not a good tire for us Offroad: it lacks traction on dirt / gravel, and in the rocks, and we had a puncture to sidewall under minimal stress (this is a common complaint). We replaced them with the KO2 in load range C, with the 3 peak mountain snowflake (this is the softer rubber that is “winter rated”). Very happy with the change. My wife is thrilled with the increased traction on dirt/gravel (we live 4 miles down a dirt road, and drive other dirt roads daily), and on rocky trails. I no longer have to take over the driving when the trail gets steep. You can feel that - on road - the car accelerates a tiny bit slower due to increased tire weight, but she has no complaints on wet pavement, and nor do I (E rated KO2s on my Tacoma). I’ve driven in heavy rain 3 out of the last 5 days - I don’t notice a lack of traction that some complain about. These are anecdotal reports - so I’d suggest tracking down good systematic reviews.

There are a handful of really good AT tires in the market - I don’t think much separates the top tires, and all should work well for most users. Endless debates between top tires are probably not worthwhile. There is a big difference, however, between a road-biased tire like the Bridgestone on the IG, and any top-end AT tire, so one should choose the tire that best matches one’s intended use.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have noticed a number of comments on here where men say they are in the car while there wife is driving? I didn't even know that was possible. Certainly won't be happening in my Grenadier. Maybe I am getting old.

Local time
1:04 AM
Reaction score
The Bridgestone on the IG has been developed for the IG (according to IG website), but it looks very similar to the stock tires on my wife’s 2019 4Runner Offroad. Even has the same name. These tires are much lighter than KO2s (in any load rating) due to thinner sidewalls and less rubber in the tread (no big lugs). We found the Bridgestone to be a good road tire (light is good for fuel economy, and it has low rolling resistance). It was not a good tire for us Offroad: it lacks traction on dirt / gravel, and in the rocks, and we had a puncture to sidewall under minimal stress (this is a common complaint). We replaced them with the KO2 in load range C, with the 3 peak mountain snowflake (this is the softer rubber that is “winter rated”). Very happy with the change. My wife is thrilled with the increased traction on dirt/gravel (we live 4 miles down a dirt road, and drive other dirt roads daily), and on rocky trails. I no longer have to take over the driving when the trail gets steep. You can feel that the car accelerates a tiny bit slower due to increased tire weight, but she has no complaints on wet pavement, and nor do I (E rated KO2s on my Tacoma). I’ve driven in heavy rain 3 out if the last 5 days - I don’t notice a lack of traction that some complain about. These are anecdotal reports - so I’d suggest tracking down good systematic reviews.

There are a handful of really good AT tires in the market - I don’t think much separates the top tires, and all should work well for most users. Endless debates between top tires are probably not worthwhile. There is a big difference, however, between a road-biased tire like the Bridgestone on the IG, and any top-end AT tire, so one should choose the tire that best matches one’s intended use.
Agreed. We're on the same page.

First, on the KO2, I don't be surprised if it proves to be an excellent all round choice for the Grenadier. And furthermore, that more technical knowledge went into that oem decision than I'll ever have.

As for best individual match, yes application - and for me - also, cost/value and "preference" for lack of a better word.

Our current truck (1 ton with camper) I kept the optional oem "AT" (but really highway biased) tires rather than doing new takeoffs for true ATs. Despite numerous uncomplimentary reports on the truck forums I ran those oem tires for 3 years and they did everything I asked for (and there was a fair bit of gravel) but I did often take 2 spares. In this case "good enough" was in fact, enough.

For a few reasons I replaced those for Toyos. Ran 2 sets but they rock chipped (ran A LOT of gravel back then) and they didn't last as long as I'd like. Reviews are generally positive but often lack details, like vehicle weight (we're >5.5 tonnes) and typical road surface mileage.

Now, I run the Toyo CTs and like them. Funny it was mentioned, but my wife feels very confident in the rain - which is important to us - and they have worn well on highway and off. Prob too heavy for the Genadier tho, [EDIT and the Gren not heavy enough for them.]

When we get closer to delivery, we'll have a better idea on how we'll actually use the Grenadier. Then I'll make sure we use a quality tire, highway or AT. And, ideally, a second set for winter :D

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, everyone I know who lives in the mountains has winter tires. Lots of good choices, but my favorite is the Nokian Hakkapeliitta:

Nokian_LT3_01-10-2022_1.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
I have noticed a number of comments on here where men say they are in the car while there wife is driving? I didn't even know that was possible. Certainly won't be happening in my Grenadier. Maybe I am getting old.
Aww go on Dave let her drive you to the pub

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hear you DaveB.....but I have promised my wife an occasional drive of the G.

Why?

Believe or not my wife has agreed that HER new company car lease in December will be the Grenadier!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'm the opposite, older I get the more I like being driven. I'm sick and tired of doing all the driving - in the city. Open road, I'm liking to nap more. 😝
I'm admiring that level of honesty 👏

Local time
Reaction score
Australian Army runs BFG ATs on it’s fleet of G-Wagens, if that’s the sort of endorsement you’re after.
And had a faulty batch of tyres. The whole fleet was grounded after a blow out on the highway when they were first released. They were speed and load restricted and not allowed on the highway till all the tyres were replaced. Just goes to show that brands are not always everything.

Back
Top Bottom