The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Back at the dealer for 5 weeks - and counting

Local time
2:17 AM
Reaction score
So - After 6 weeks, I finally have the Ineos back. The heater now works, but;
- the radiator cooling fan comes frequently, at times when the engine surely cannot be too hot. I plan to investigate with my thermocouple thermometer on the rad top hose.
- the info screen keeps bonging with no active warnings shown. A 1 mile return trip this afternoon produced 4-5 bongs each way. The screen briefly flashes a warning that disappears before I can read it.
- the info screen keeps flashing up that I have only 4,750 miles before the next service is due. Do I really need to be reminded of this every 5 minutes?

I need to do some offroad driving to remind myself why I even have this vehicle.
Oh yeah - and I have a cracked windscreen caused by a stone or some other object. This one is not Ineos' fault.
What is the length of time in which you can ask for a refund (Sales of goods act 1979)? Seems like a few here have maybe hit the requirement (if it didn't timeout.)

Reactions: PBD

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:17 AM
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing.

Apparently mine took many attempts ……..
Car has now been back at the dealer for 2 weeks, the heater is still blowing cold and I'm once again getting "Sick of Waiting". No tow bar on the loaned demonstrator and petrol consumption is awful!

Local time
Reaction score
Update - the Ineos dealer 'fixed' the vehicle and I collected last Friday, after a full 6 weeks with the dealer. I have had the vehicle back for three days, and the heater fault caused by air in the coolant
system has reappeared. No heater. So, in the 6 weeks, it appears that all the dealer has done is to address the symptoms - not the root cause.

To say that I am disappointed would be a gross understatement. Buying and owning this vehicle, for which I put down a reservation fee over 2 years ago, should have been a hugely enjoyable experience.

Not so with this vehicle.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:17 PM
Reaction score
Update - the Ineos dealer 'fixed' the vehicle and I collected last Friday, after a full 6 weeks with the dealer. I have had the vehicle back for three days, and the heater fault caused by air in the coolant
system has reappeared. No heater. So, in the 6 weeks, it appears that all the dealer has done is to address the symptoms - not the root cause.

To say that I am disappointed would be a gross understatement. Buying and owning this vehicle, for which I put down a reservation fee over 2 years ago, should have been a hugely enjoyable experience.

Maybe a BMW independent garage would be able to cope better?

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

@Halliwell Jones Chester Have you any experience of the heater fault yet and have you team got any prior experience from working on the BMW power train elsewhere that might help solve these problems?

@shawtrav Is your Grenadier petrol or diesel?

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@JOB @shawtrav

Sorry to hear your respective continuing issues.

My heater is working, temperature gauge is normal (constant 90 degrees) and all warning lights have gone. So, on the face of it, mine is fixed.

However, given the issues we've been having, I have been checking the radiator and bottom hose after both short trips and long trips (including stopping at motorway servcies mid journey). Every time, the bottom half of the radiator and the bottom hose are completely cold - not even luke warm.

I've reported back to my agent and they are working it through with INEOS.

This could be down to the ambient temperature and the engine not needing to be further cooled, but I'm sceptical.

Could I ask that others do a similar check and report findings here. It would be helpful if someone from warmer parts of the world could report whether their bottom hose is getting hot.

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:17 AM
Reaction score
So - After 6 weeks, I finally have the Ineos back. The heater now works, but;
- the radiator cooling fan comes frequently, at times when the engine surely cannot be too hot. I plan to investigate with my thermocouple thermometer on the rad top hose.
- the info screen keeps bonging with no active warnings shown. A 1 mile return trip this afternoon produced 4-5 bongs each way. The screen briefly flashes a warning that disappears before I can read it.
- the info screen keeps flashing up that I have only 4,750 miles before the next service is due. Do I really need to be reminded of this every 5 minutes?

I need to do some offroad driving to remind myself why I even have this vehicle.
Oh yeah - and I have a cracked windscreen caused by a stone or some other object. This one is not Ineos' fault.
The car has a speed warning system. Is this active? This could be the bongs. So deactivate it.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@JOB @shawtrav

Sorry to hear your respective continuing issues.

My heater is working, temperature gauge is normal (constant 90 degrees) and all warning lights have gone. So, on the face of it, mine is fixed.

However, given the issues we've been having, I have been checking the radiator and bottom hose after both short trips and long trips (including stopping at motorway servcies mid journey). Every time, the bottom half of the radiator and the bottom hose are completely cold - not even luke warm.

I've reported back to my agent and they are working it through with INEOS.

This could be down to the ambient temperature and the engine not needing to be further cooled, but I'm sceptical.

Could I ask that others do a similar check and report findings here. It would be helpful if someone from warmer parts of the world could report whether their bottom hose is getting hot.
If the car was here I would check this. I can check later when I run the loan car, but as that is a) petrol and b) not displaying HVAC issues, I'm not sure what benefit the results will give. Is your car petrol or diesel by the way? In old money, it sounds like your car has a sticking thermostat?

Also an observation I made during the summer was how hot the engine bay gets given the rubber bonnet seal and limited airflow through the engine bay. I have noticed our car and this loan vehicle show to be up to 90 degrees and our diesel shows full oil temp in the offroad display within 5 miles of running.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If the car was here I would check this. I can check later when I run the loan car, but as that is a) petrol and b) not displaying HVAC issues, I'm not sure what benefit the results will give. Is your car petrol or diesel by the way? In old money, it sounds like your car has a sticking thermostat?

Also an observation I made during the summer was how hot the engine bay gets given the rubber bonnet seal and limited airflow through the engine bay. I have noticed our car and this loan vehicle show to be up to 90 degrees and our diesel shows full oil temp in the offroad display within 5 miles of running.
I have the same with engine up to temperature within 5 minute. Have had some heavy offroad driving, fully loaded in 40c heat and has not overheated. Parking out in the full sun of Southern Africa the engine bay gets extremely hot and the fans start working immediately that you start the engine. All good so far with the engine cooling 👍🏼

Highwayman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Mine is diesel and the thermostat was checked when it was in the garage

Local time
Reaction score
The car has a speed warning system. Is this active? This could be the bongs. So deactivate it.
Pretty sure its not the speed warning - happens at all speeds, sometimes even before I have opened the car door.

Local time
Reaction score
Maybe a BMW independent garage would be able to cope better?
I have suggested this to the dealer - and touched a raw nerve. Clearly they believed that I had questioned their competence, and they'd be correct - I'd sooner let my local plumber work on the car, rather than them.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone notice that the engine temp goes to mid-way on the temperature gauge nearly immediately? I have never had a vehicle where only after 10 seconds, the gauge reads 50% temp... it normally takes a good 2-3 minutes for all my previously owned vehicles to get anywhere near reg running temp.

Local time
2:17 AM
Reaction score
Lots of folks on this forum that know their way around an engine...is it time to build some sort of checklist:

Symptom: cabin heater and aircon only work intermittently, thermostatic temperature control does not work at all
- Petrol or Diesel
Assuming the engine is already at operating temp:
- Check temp of upper radiator hose (to the touch, infrared, ?)
- Check temp of lower radiator hose
- Check/record coolant level
- Record engine temp
- Turn AC on and check for cold air on different settings (upper then lower vents)
- Turn Heater on and check temp on different settings

Just a thought

Also, where is the location of the heater control valve?

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So, I have now advised both Ineos and their dealer Endeavour Automotive that I am rejecting the vehicle, and I will return it to the dealer later this week. I await their response.
I can't disagree with your actions. Be very interesting to hear their response.

6 weeks would test the patience of a saint and it's not an inexpensive vehicle either.

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So, I have now advised both Ineos and their dealer Endeavour Automotive that I am rejecting the vehicle, and I will return it to the dealer later this week. I await their response.
I’m sorry to hear this but I can’t help but agree that you’re doing the right thing.

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Snap1

Back
Top Bottom