The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary Switches Max Watts?

owenrd07

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
Looking at wiring two 80W each ARB lights on the front bumper to either switch Ext 1(10amp) or Ext 8 (25amp). My question doing the Amp to Watts conversion is, are the switches connected to 12volt or 24volt? If 12v I think I would need to connect to Ext 8 to because I think the lights would need about 14 amps. Im assume 12v but wasnt sure and thought this would be the best source to find out.

Also, looking at the Amp draw from an ARB dual compressor for under the hood. I think I would need to direct wire it and wouldn't be able to wire to an auxiliary switch unless I went to the Ext 4 and shared the one the winch uses. I think the ARB air compressor draws 31 amps max load.

Thank you for the help. I got my eneos this weekend. The dealer mentioned several people are getting the Leitner Low Profile roof racks and really liking them. I was supposed to get the short roof rack with my build but they didnt have any.

Thank you for the feeback

baders

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:11 AM
Reaction score
Like most cars, Ineos has a 12v system. Two 80w driving lights will be too much load for the EXT 1 10a circuit.

For the compressor, you will need to use a suitable relay for that current.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:11 PM
Reaction score
Easiest way take the number of watts, divide by 12.5 (volts), multiply by 1.25 (safety factor) and that's what fusing you need (or, in the case of "will XYZ circuit handle this", the load rating for the circuit). Amps = Watts/Volts

For your lights you would have a combined 12.8A load, and should be fused at 16A (and, since fuses protect wires not equipment, the wiring for any circuit you add should be rated higher than the fuse).

Everything is 12v, and an ARB dual will draw up to 62A (thus the dual feed lines are fused at 80A). Ideally this should go straight to the battery (or an appropriately fused distribution point), and thus the ARB twin has a separate wire for turning the compressor "on", that is simply a trigger wire and could be powered by any of the switches

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:11 AM
Reaction score
Also, looking at the Amp draw from an ARB dual compressor for under the hood. I think I would need to direct wire it and wouldn't be able to wire to an auxiliary switch unless I went to the Ext 4 and shared the one the winch uses. I think the ARB air compressor draws 31 amps max load.

The twin ARC air compressor uses two 40 amp MaxI Fuses (image below is from the twin ARB portable model). In combination that is 80 amps, exceeding the circuit ratings under the bonnet/hood.

The maximum 31 amp draw is probably each compressor, not both (but I have not checked). EDIT: @anand has by the looks of his post.

If you have a spare stud on the busbar, that can be used, otherwise direct to the main battery. Wire the compressor so it can only turn on when the engine is running to avoid draining the main battery - because of their high current draw.

IMG_8909.jpg

Last edited:
Local time
5:41 AM
Reaction score
Under the bonnet, next to the jump start terminal you can attach the 2 x 40A maxi fuses, that is what I did for my 2 single arb compressors mounted between the chassis and the sill panel on a bash plate I fabricated, I used 8 AWG wire to make the 2 seperate looms for full redundancy, the 10 AWG wire that arb supply with their compressors in my opinion is not adequate.
Single ARB compressors are waterproof as long as you have a raised air intake, ARB twin compressors are not waterproof due to them being fan cooled.
If you mount an ARB twin compressor under the bonnet it will have a limited life due to under bonnet heat and water splashing etc.
Use flame proof tape if you make a loom.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you mount an ARB twin compressor under the bonnet it will have a limited life due to under bonnet heat and water splashing etc.
For what it's worth, dozens of brands make under the bonnet mounts for the ARB twin for all sorts of vehicles with no reduction of life. I've had an ARB twin under the bonnet for years in both the Sprinter and my previous Tundra.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:11 PM
Reaction score
(and, since fuses protect wires not equipment, the wiring for any circuit you add should be rated higher than the fuse).

I have added a Driving Light and connected it to the 25 amp EXT 5 switch circuit. Since this light originally came with its own 15 amp fuse, I have installed a 15 amp inline fuse between the under-hood end of the OEM EXT 5 power wire and the beginning of the wire that came attached to the Driving Light. Considering that the Driving Light wire is probably not rated as high as the EXT 5 switch wire, did I do the wrong thing for overall circuit protection?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have added a Driving Light and connected it to the 25 amp EXT 5 switch circuit. Since this light originally came with its own 15 amp fuse, I have installed a 15 amp inline fuse between the under-hood end of the OEM EXT 5 power wire and the beginning of the wire that came attached to the Driving Light. Considering that the Driving Light wire is probably not rated as high as the EXT 5 switch wire, did I do the wrong thing for overall circuit protection?
No you should be fine because the driving light wire is fused with the proper smaller fuse

owenrd07

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
3:11 PM
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I found both uplifter (auxiliary switch) wires on the driver's side under the hood. I can post some pictures if you cant find them.

Back
Top Bottom