The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Are there side curtain airbags for the rear passenger seats or only the front seats?

Local time
5:25 PM
Reaction score
I have tried to find this out on my own but have not been able to figure it out. I see there are six airbags in total with two side curtain airbags, I know some side curtain airbags cover both the front and rear windows for each side. Does anyone know if there are side curtain airbags for the rear passengers? If not this is a deal breaker for me, I used to want a Jeep Gladiator but when I found out the rear passengers have no airbags at all I decided it was not a vehicle I would ever buy. If there are no side curtain airbags for the rear passengers then I'll just get the new Ford Ranger Raptor which has a total of nine airbags including some for the occupants in the back seats.

Last edited:

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:25 AM
Reaction score
I have tried to find this out on my own but have not been able to figure it out. I see there are six airbags in total with two side curtain airbags, I know some side curtain airbags cover both the front and rear windows for each side. Does anyone know if their are side curtain airbags for the rear passengers? If not this is a deal breaker for me, I used to want a Jeep Gladiator but when I found out the rear passengers have no airbags at all I decided it was not a vehicle I would ever buy. If there are no side curtain airbags for the rear passengers then I'll just get the new Ford Ranger Raptor which has a total of nine airbags including some for the occupants in the back seats.
I need to know this. I assumed it was front+rear side curtains from a comment in one of the current Scottish test drives... but now I cant remember which video had that comment!?!? Any have any ideas? If no rear side curtains thats a basic no-no I have two young kids... surely its covered by airbags to sell in the EU... isn't it a standard requirement?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:25 AM
Reaction score
I need to know this. I assumed it was front+rear side curtains from a comment in one of the current Scottish test drives... but now I cant remember which video had that comment!?!? Any have any ideas? If no rear side curtains thats a basic no-no I have two young kids... surely its covered by airbags to sell in the EU... isn't it a standard requirement?
I did some digging ; amongst the manure I found this
"Almost every new car sold in Europe is equipped with front and side airbags, but in the European Union in 2020[118] and in the United Kingdom, and most other developed countries there is no direct legal requirement for new cars to feature airbags."

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I did some digging ; amongst the manure I found this
"Almost every new car sold in Europe is equipped with front and side airbags, but in the European Union in 2020[118] and in the United Kingdom, and most other developed countries there is no direct legal requirement for new cars to feature airbags."
Wait what? No legal requirement to feature airbags? That cannot be right - UK/EU both have laws stating 'minimum' airbag requirements to meet several safety regs (or was that only referring to side airbags?)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Wait what? No legal requirement to feature airbags? That cannot be right - UK/EU both have laws stating 'minimum' airbag requirements to meet several safety regs (or was that only referring to side airbags?)
Wikipedia
"
The Euro NCAP vehicle safety rating encourages manufacturers to take a comprehensive approach to occupant safety; a good rating can only be achieved by combining airbags with other safety features.[117] Almost every new car sold in Europe is equipped with front and side airbags, but in the European Union in 2020[118] and in the United Kingdom, and most other developed countries there is no direct legal requirement for new cars to feature airbags.

Ecuador requires dual front airbags in new car models since 2013.[119]

Since January 2014, with the exception of micro vehicles, all new cars made or imported in Argentina must have front airbags.[120]

Since 1 January 2014, all new cars sold in Brazil must have dual front airbags.[121]

Since July 2014, all new cars sold in Uruguay must have dual front airbags.[122]

Since December 2016, all new cars sold in Chile must have dual front airbags.[123]

Since 1 January 2017, all cars made or imported in Colombia must have dual front airbags.[124]

Since 1 January 2020, all new cars sold in Mexico must have dual front airbags.[125]

On 5 March 2021, the Indian Ministry of Road Transport and Highways mandated that all new vehicle models introduced in India after 1 April 2021 have dual front airbags; the regulation also requires that all existing models be equipped with dual front airbags by 31 August 2021.[126] India also mandated that all passenger vehicles sold after October 2023 must have a minimum of 6 airbags.[127]"

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
I think there are rear side curtains fitted. I seem to remember a comment about the lack of 3’rd row being because of the difficulty in fitting side curtain airbags, amongst other things. Let me have a look through some transcripts and I’ll try and work it out.

Local time
Reaction score
I think there are rear side curtains fitted. I seem to remember a comment about the lack of 3’rd row being because of the difficulty in fitting side curtain airbags, amongst other things. Let me have a look through some transcripts and I’ll try and work it out.
Ok I appreciate you searching, I remember being very excited for the Jeep Gladiator and being disappointed so I hope that doesn't happen with the Grenadier since I think it's an even better vehicle for overlanding.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have tried to find this out on my own but have not been able to figure it out. I see there are six airbags in total with two side curtain airbags, I know some side curtain airbags cover both the front and rear windows for each side. Does anyone know if there are side curtain airbags for the rear passengers? If not this is a deal breaker for me, I used to want a Jeep Gladiator but when I found out the rear passengers have no airbags at all I decided it was not a vehicle I would ever buy. If there are no side curtain airbags for the rear passengers then I'll just get the new Ford Ranger Raptor which has a total of nine airbags including some for the occupants in the back seats.
Side curtain airbags cover the entire side of the passenger compartment and come down from above the windows
The two front seats have side airbags at torso height
The front airbags are steering wheel and above glove box
North America gets knee airbags in front as well

Local time
Reaction score
Side curtain airbags cover the entire side of the passenger compartment and come down from above the windows
Ok awesome! I feel relieved about that because I think this is one of the coolest off-road vehicles of all time and a future classic. Very glad I don't have to get an IFS pickup truck instead. I feel this is a very safe vehicle indeed being designed by Magna Steyr and weighing 2,740 kg/6,040 lbs. I will be making an order and I'm excited to finally drive one and take the family camping.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I feel this is a very safe vehicle indeed being designed by Magna Steyr and weighing 2,740 kg/6,040 lbs.
I know a surgeon who drives the full sized Hummer , as he reckon physics is on his side (and he's seen a lot of trauma...)
Good thinking - until you meet a road train.

Local time
Reaction score
I know a surgeon who drives the full sized Hummer , as he reckon physics is on his side (and he's seen a lot of trauma...)
Good thinking - until you meet a road train.
Humm must look up inelastic collisions .

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:25 PM
Reaction score
Are their airbags embedded into the front seats themselves? If so, are the seat covers airbag compatible?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
1676309237722-png.7803198

Local time
Reaction score
Are their airbags embedded into the front seats themselves? If so, are the seat covers airbag compatible?
I'm pretty sure there is no vehicle and never has been one that has front airbags for the passengers in the rear seats, only side airbags that block the windows. Front airbags are not really necessary for the back seats and could actually be dangerous for kids since front airbags explode out with a very strong force while side curtain airbags just extend down very quickly basically.

Local time
Reaction score
Regardless of where, if a seat has a built-in airbag, the seat cover will still need to be capable of breaking away.

AIRBAG SEAT COVERS\
The aftermarket seat covers I bought for my Tacoma 10 years ago had velcro closures on the side to allow the side airbags to deploy. This is a long time known solution

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:25 PM
Reaction score
I believe that Jeep Wranglers don't have curtain bags. Only front passenger seat bags.

Local time
Reaction score
I believe that Jeep Wranglers don't have curtain bags. Only front passenger seat bags.
They have side curtain airbags only for the front seats but none for the rear seats, same with the Gladiator.

Back
Top Bottom