The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Are there side curtain airbags for the rear passenger seats or only the front seats?

Local time
6:04 PM
Reaction score

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:04 AM
Reaction score
Ok so it's even worse than I thought Jeep needs to step their safety up and I think they will since they are being pressured by the Bronco to improve.
Due to the ridiculous 70 year old design of the Wrangler body there is nowhere to build in side curtain airbags
I didn't read the article because it was obvious from the picture.
It would need a complete redesign of the structure which would kill the whole product.
Sales are dropping since 2018 but that could be because 2018 was a new model year
While customers keep buying why change.
If they wanted to sell it on the global market they would have to change things

1677017953554.png1677018195308.png1677018236733.png

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Due to the ridiculous 70 year old design of the Wrangler body there is nowhere to build in side curtain airbags
I didn't read the article because it was obvious from the picture.
It would need a complete redesign of the structure which would kill the whole product.
Sales are dropping since 2018 but that could be because 2018 was a new model year
While customers keep buying why change.
If they wanted to sell it on the global market they would have to change things

View attachment 7803949View attachment 7803950View attachment 7803952
Side airbags = deployed from the seat back, inflate between the passenger torso and the door card to mitigate side impact (I believe we have these for driver/passenger only)
Curtain airbags = deployed from the car ceiling, inflate between passenger head and vehicle windows, mitigate side impact and window fragmentation (I understand these protect passengers in both front and rear rows)

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Side airbags = deployed from the seat back, inflate between the passenger torso and the door card to mitigate side impact (I believe we have these for driver/passenger only)
Curtain airbags = deployed from the car ceiling, inflate between passenger head and vehicle windows, mitigate side impact and window fragmentation (I understand these protect passengers in both front and rear rows)

That was definitely a curtain airbag as you could see it dropping from above.
I had to freeze the video 50 times to get the best snips

Norb-TX

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
Ok so it's even worse than I thought Jeep needs to step their safety up and I think they will since they are being pressured by the Bronco to improve.
But technically, all Wranglers are convertibles, do convertibles have curtain airbags?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:04 AM
Reaction score
Went to my dealer today, and I saw only the word airbag on the middle "pole" above the seatbelt of the driver (between the two doors). I don't know if this airbag exteds as well forwards as backwards, and the Hedin dealer guy didn't know it either, see picture below. Same at the passenger side of course!

20230223_104550.jpg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Went to my dealer today, and I saw only the word airbag on the middle "pole" above the seatbelt of the driver (between the two doors). I don't know if this airbag exteds as well forwards as backwards, and the Hedin dealer guy didn't know it either, see picture below. Same at the passenger side of course!

View attachment 7804062
scroll up and you will see the pictures I put up a couple of days ago showing the curtain airbag deploying

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well anyway, as I am very concerned with the safety of my passengers, airbags or no, I will put some stickers in my car.
The first two I "found" in my almost previous car, the other two I "found" while travelling.

Please remember the well known European Salduz law: "At no point can you be forced to incriminate yourself". This law is not valid anymore for British people!
fasten seat belts.jpg

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I know a surgeon who drives the full sized Hummer , as he reckon physics is on his side (and he's seen a lot of trauma...)
Good thinking - until you meet a road train.
Still good thinking. From the road train driver.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I know a surgeon who drives the full sized Hummer , as he reckon physics is on his side (and he's seen a lot of trauma...)
Good thinking - until you meet a road train.
I recently had a high speed head-on accident and only had a front airbag. I made a textbook face plant into the airbag, with no brain damage, no concussion, no broken bones on the head, no bruising or cuts on the face (I had nasty injuries elsewhere though - only 8 broken bones, severe bruising, associated trauma, etc!). The car was destroyed and if a few things were different I would be dead.

He died and I lived. Main factors was my airbag, the SmartBar bullbar (my car crumpled his just got smashed, even with a steel bullbar) and I did not expose my door to his car. I had impact injuries and also injuries from the explosive wave that goes through the car (150 to 180kph combined speed of impact). Other factor was two large cars collided, a Toyota Troop Carrier and a Nissan GU Patrol - a battle of equals.

Not sure your surgeon mate is as safe as he thinks. I hope he never has to endure such a test, it is not fun as he sees in his job.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure your surgeon mate is as safe as he thinks. I hope he never has to endure such a test, it is not fun as he sees in his job.
People arm themselves with helmets, high walls , vicious dogs , guns , minders and the like to feel "safe"
The world is a dangerous place. People think they are invincible - until they're not.
Sometimes certain measures help you sleep better, Which in people who do critical jobs from truck driving to surgery , is a good thing.
You were very very lucky to escape your incident without devastating consequences.
I've worked as a coroner's pathologist in the past , and the shocking sights I've witnessed are not erased from one's memory , and they sure colour one's degree of risk taking.

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The German Automobile Club ADAC provides rescue cards for all kinds of vehicles which show the position of all airbags and whatever else would be good to know for someone trying to cut you out of a wrecked vehicle. You are encouraged to keep those under the driver’s sun shield for the rescue team. There is none for the Grenadier yet but I hope it‘ll come soon.

Back
Top Bottom