The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

android auto help

bamanuke

Production/Transit
Local time
12:54 PM
Reaction score
can't figure out how to get Android auto to display. not tech savvy at all. samsung galaxy A7 connected to the usb c, bluetooth connected to both. several hours messing around with it and searching the forum. super frustrated. have to travel to Atlanta in the morning and would like the map (osmand+) to display if that's possible. any help would be appreciated

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:54 AM
Reaction score
Start with downloading andriod auto if you haven't already. Then connect phone to the Grenadier via Bluetooth. Have wifi enabled too. Make sure the phone is unlock. Connect phone via USB cable. You will only need to do this the first time. Now launch on grenadier AA. It should open up and you will be able to set it up.

bamanuke

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Start with downloading andriod auto if you haven't already. Then connect phone to the Grenadier via Bluetooth. Have wifi enabled too. Make sure the phone is unlock. Connect phone via USB cable. You will only need to do this the first time. Now launch on grenadier AA. It should open up and you will be able to set it up.
thanks! i did not. reading the manual indicated that it would come up on the screen once I connected the device. appreciate the guidance!

bamanuke

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
didn't work. got message that the download(Android Auto) is not compatible with the device (Samsung Galaxy A7 android tablet, purchased new 2 days ago).

IGL

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:54 PM
Reaction score
Hi Bamanuke, to avoid this kind of frustration, I purchased the ottocast A2Air Pro Wireless Android Auto-Adapter and very happy with it.

Attachments

• ottocast A2Air Pro Wireless Android Auto-Adapter.jpg
    ottocast A2Air Pro Wireless Android Auto-Adapter.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 11

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:54 PM
Reaction score
didn't work. got message that the download(Android Auto) is not compatible with the device (Samsung Galaxy A7 android tablet, purchased new 2 days ago).
Android Auto doesn't work with tablets, only phones

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Bamanuke, to avoid this kind of frustration, I purchased the ottocast A2Air Pro Wireless Android Auto-Adapter and very happy with it.
MY 24 vehicles at least in the USA come with wireless AA.

Reactions: IGL

Jackattack13

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine intermittently connects automatically. Fiances Apple connects every time, no issues. Kinda irritating. Most times I have to go to Phones and select the AA icon for it to connect.

bamanuke

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
must be time to get a new phone. I believe the one (Android) that I have, was purchased ~2016 and is not compatible with AA. Needless to say, navigating Atlanta yesterday wore me out. Thank goodness for "phone a friend"!

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:54 PM
Reaction score
must be time to get a new phone. I believe the one (Android) that I have, was purchased ~2016 and is not compatible with AA. Needless to say, navigating Atlanta yesterday wore me out. Thank goodness for "phone a friend"!
You have a 2016 android phone!! Hang on to it, they'll want to buy it back for their museum 📱

TrevorS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My phone is a Samsung A8, running Android 9. I didn't expect it to work wirelessly, but it didn't work (didn't offer the Android Auto option) when connected via USB either. I used the cable that came with the phone and one other high quality cable. My wife's newer phone worked fine.
Question: Does the cable have to be USB C to C, or should the other socket also work?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My phone is a Samsung A8, running Android 9. I didn't expect it to work wirelessly, but it didn't work (didn't offer the Android Auto option) when connected via USB either. I used the cable that came with the phone and one other high quality cable. My wife's newer phone worked fine.
Question: Does the cable have to be USB C to C, or should the other socket also work?
If memory serves me correctly, the wired Android Auto (at least in the MY23s) only worked on the USB-C port... Android Auto was and optional add-on to Android 9 (came default with Android 10); so there may not be full compatibility. Finding recent threads across the internet RE: Android Auto in Android 9 are hard to come by, but what I'm finding is that wireless AA may not work in Android 9, at least not with any reliability.

I can't speak for the Grenadier specifically, but in other vehicles we've had, wired AA was very picky about what cable you are using, and even using a high quality, name branded cable hasn't correlated to a reliable connection all the time unfortunately.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I assume you have downloaded android auto from the play store onto your phone, (I didn't think it was factory install till android 10), but yes you must use the USB C port for cable connection.

TrevorS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes - I downloaded the app. I bought a quality C to C USB cable. Still no luck The on-screen instructions only mention BlueTooth for the Android Auto setup.

TrevorS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If memory serves me correctly, the wired Android Auto (at least in the MY23s) only worked on the USB-C port... Android Auto was and optional add-on to Android 9 (came default with Android 10); so there may not be full compatibility. Finding recent threads across the internet RE: Android Auto in Android 9 are hard to come by, but what I'm finding is that wireless AA may not work in Android 9, at least not with any reliability.

I can't speak for the Grenadier specifically, but in other vehicles we've had, wired AA was very picky about what cable you are using, and even using a high quality, name branded cable hasn't correlated to a reliable connection all the time unfortunately.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I bought a USB C to C cable (it's actually from Apple). But it still didn't work.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Make sure your phone wifi is on. It still needs it for AA

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply. I bought a USB C to C cable (it's actually from Apple). But it still didn't work.
Just a long shot, unpair your wife's phone, then try setting yours up again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom