The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alu-cab grenadier

TSnider

Reservation Holder
Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
One of my major deciding factors to buy the Grenadier is if I can cut the roof off. Alucab will be receiving a prototype vehicle to play with and should know if they can covert it or not before too long. INEOS is letting them use a prototype because those vehicles have to be crushed anyway.

If Alucab decides not to make a roof chop kit, then I will pass on the Grenadier. I am ready to move from a RTT to something to be able to hide inside of when the cold/rain arrives.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
Let us know about the result, please. And the Alucab prices ...

TSnider

Reservation Holder
Local time
8:30 AM
Reaction score
You got it. I do a lot of Alucab stuff on my channel, I attend the Overland Expos and have met the US crew as well as the guys from South Africa. I am a huge unsponsored fan of their products. I will keep you guys posted, as I will be bothering them regularly about it.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
You got it. I do a lot of Alucab stuff on my channel, I attend the Overland Expos and have met the US crew as well as the guys from South Africa. I am a huge unsponsored fan of their products. I will keep you guys posted, as I will be bothering them regularly about it.
I saw a video where the Alucab guys drove one of the original prototypes and they said they were looking at the CAD files already.
They said the roof switch panel might be an issue

Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
Im not even sure I need a pop top I wish they just made a high roof version, another 10-12” of height in the back would make a ton of difference, I could live in that.

internal

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:30 PM
Reaction score
yes please, I'm eagerly awaiting the conversion for the Grenadier and hope it doesn't take as long as it did for the LC 76...

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
I saw a video where the Alucab guys drove one of the original prototypes and they said they were looking at the CAD files already.
They said the roof switch panel might be an issue
Maybe I’m not totally understanding how the conversion is done but I was under the impression they only cut the vehicle roof from behind the drivers seat and use an adhesive between the roof tent and the vehicle roof from there to the front. If that’s the case the switch panel shouldn’t get in the way but I’m just guessing as I haven’t seen the schematics and I’ve never seen an alucab Thor conversion from the interior.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:30 PM
Reaction score
The videos I've seen show the full roof being removed (but maybe different models Thor/Hercules are installed differently):
Untitled.jpg
but then the original roof/courtesy lights are installed in a new console:

Untitled.jpg
So, I'm guessing, the full Ineos Grenadier top panel could either be replicated in the Alucab roof console, or it maybe could be incorporated in. The fact that the roof light wiring needs extending may need more of the same - or better still some form of plug in extension harness?

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
The videos I've seen show the full roof being removed (but maybe different models Thor/Hercules are installed differently):
View attachment 7794268
but then the original roof/courtesy lights are installed in a new console:

View attachment 7794269
So, I'm guessing, the full Ineos Grenadier top panel could either be replicated in the Alucab roof console, or it maybe could be incorporated in. The fact that the roof light wiring needs extending may need more of the same - or better still some form of plug in extension harness?
Yeah I think maybe the Thor is the only one that does a cut there, I found this picture in the Thor manual:

8159CF8F-7695-4FA5-8EA8-D1F17A1BCF39.png

Local time
7:30 AM
Reaction score
Still don't get why no one does a Carbon Fiber roof. It is easy enough to build an epoxy resin infused roof stronger and lighter than the aluminum versions. Once you have the mold, costs go down dramatically with volume since it can be popped out of the mold prefinished for most part.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:30 AM
Reaction score
Still don't get why no one does a Carbon Fiber roof. It is easy enough to build an epoxy resin infused roof stronger and lighter than the aluminum versions. Once you have the mold, costs go down dramatically with volume since it can be popped out of the mold prefinished for most part.
They are extremely expensive, have to be bonded to the sides and don't support roof loads very well

jeremy_matrix

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
And only real advantage to carbon is weight, which is important yes, but many other factors = carbon is more challenging.

Local time
Reaction score
Fibers can be engineered for any weight loading and strength. The roof loading is nothing compared to loads on sailboats with massive masts and sail loads. Cost is high upfront but again once a mold is created, production in numbers is relatively cheap since labor is a small component. I am not saying it is cheaper than aluminum roof but alucab is not exactly cheap so I am guessing that the carbon version can be had for a reasonable premium. Fabric engineering is a very precise science and materials have come a long way and continue to evolve exponentially better.

TCMColorado

Reservation Holder
Local time
10:30 AM
Reaction score
For most manufacturers in the automotive aftermarket there is an absence of skill/experience when it comes to composites. The roof of a tent conversion would be the perfect application for carbon fiber. Lighter than metal and easily formed to any shape required. It could be more durable as well with the right combination of fibers and resins. It is misconception that carbon fiber is weak and easily broken. But working with composites takes very specific knowledge and equipment and this is an investment that is hard to justify for a small company.

Local time
Reaction score
For most manufacturers in the automotive aftermarket there is an absence of skill/experience when it comes to composites. The roof of a tent conversion would be the perfect application for carbon fiber. Lighter than metal and easily formed to any shape required. It could be more durable as well with the right combination of fibers and resins. It is misconception that carbon fiber is weak and easily broken. But working with composites takes very specific knowledge and equipment and this is an investment that is hard to justify for a small company.
I agree completely. This is more in the domain of someone like ZoneRV that has a massive composites business

Back
Top Bottom