The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Alu-cab grenadier

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:56 AM
Reaction score
I just couldn't bring myself to cut out the roof of a car I just spent A$120,000 on for the sake of somewhere to sleep.

Buy a rooftop tent, buy a small camping trailer, buy a tent, sleep inside
I wouldn't do it either but can see the appeal that it allows you to stand up inside the vehicle.
More suited to the 2 seat utility or better yet a long wheelbase troopy.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
6:56 PM
Reaction score
Fiber components only make sense if the force application is really perfect.

And in flat applications, point loads are critical.

Local time
9:56 AM
Reaction score
Why reduce the roof design load capacity just to sleep inside the car when there are far better roof design options that don't! (like alloy hard shell)?

Horses for courses as they say.

More stuff on the roof reduces aerodynamics, raises CoG. A RTT is the easy play here, and there are lighterweight examples than there were 10yrs ago, but there's just something about a Troopy-inspired, Maltec-esque(without all the downsides) poptop, where you're inside the vehicle and comfortable whenever you want to be, especially via a heater and in foul weather. It was little fun in nasty sideways rain sitting inside my G or my Autohome Columbus RTT, waiting for the rain to stop so that I could move from vehicle-RTT or vice-versa without getting completely soaked/miserable.

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Obviously its not fit for your purpose. Still it has very little to do with why alter the automotive engineering of the Grenie roof by cutting out main support cross members to be able to stand up inside. I'm sure after market 4x4 accessory fitters (or home hackers) won't have as much experience or knowledge as Magna Steyr, let alone couldnt insure let alone loose warranty.

Local time
Reaction score
Obviously its not fit for your purpose. Still it has very little to do with why alter the automotive engineering of the Grenie roof by cutting out main support cross members to be able to stand up inside. I'm sure after market 4x4 accessory fitters (or home hackers) won't have as much experience or knowledge as Magna Steyr, let alone couldnt insure let alone loose warranty.

Not fit for whose purpose?

You're aware of the very well-respected LC/Troopy/Rover aftermarket, yes?

Of course any aftermarket upgrade, at least in the USA, falls under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Unsure of regulations in non-USA countries.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Not fit for whose purpose?

You're aware of the very well-respected LC/Troopy/Rover aftermarket, yes?

Of course any aftermarket upgrade, at least in the USA, falls under the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. Unsure of regulations in non-USA countries.
Great product for the Troopy/Defender... BUT: the LC/Troopy and Classic Defender are structurally very different from the Grenadier in terms how their respective roof "assembly" contributes to the rigidity of the body structure overall . The Alucab approach to fitting its product to the Troopy/Defender (i.e. literally get the angle grinder and cut the top off the "sardine can") is not "fit for purpose" when applied to the Grenadier because of how the roof skeletal frame structure of the Grenadier is integral to the torsional rigidity of the body as a whole and contributes significantly to its 490kg static roof loading limit. My observation FWIW is that any Alu-Cab modification will require many many hrs of engineering rework to provide an equivalent structural integrity model which will allow them to get a certificate of compliance equivalent to that pertaining to the original ...or not!....... lots of "food for thought"!

Local time
Reaction score
Great product for the Troopy/Defender... BUT: the LC/Troopy and Classic Defender are structurally very different from the Grenadier in terms how their respective roof "assembly" contributes to the rigidity of the body structure overall . The Alucab approach to fitting its product to the Troopy/Defender (i.e. literally get the angle grinder and cut the top off the "sardine can") is not "fit for purpose" when applied to the Grenadier because of how the roof skeletal frame structure of the Grenadier is integral to the torsional rigidity of the body as a whole and contributes significantly to its 490kg static roof loading limit. My observation FWIW is that any Alu-Cab modification will require many many hrs of engineering rework to provide an equivalent structural integrity model which will allow them to get a certificate of compliance equivalent to that pertaining to the original ...or not!....... lots of "food for thought"!
Great points. I would argue that there cannot possibly be equivalent structural integrity with Alucab on any vehicle today. That said, It might just be much harder to do come close to what Grenadier has

Local time
Reaction score

Points well taken.
Whoever engineers a proper lifting roof conversion for the IG will have to "Build it on Purpose." ;)

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes its true, the after market conversations industry is huge. There are also many examples that completely ignore the original engineering design. For example YouTube is littered with videos of roof racks being ripped off due to over loading, in total ignorance of static or dynamic roof load ratings Structural integrity is there for a reason even if not obvious.

Just like so many off roaders dont really examine their insurance policy not being entirely covered for extreme off road conditions and vehicle damage. Good luck with hack sawing up your $120k+ (aus) investment.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes its true, the after market conversations industry is huge. There are also many examples that completely ignore the original engineering design. For example YouTube is littered with videos of roof racks being ripped off due to over loading, in total ignorance of static or dynamic roof load ratings Structural integrity is there for a reason even if not obvious.

Just like so many off roaders dont really examine their insurance policy not being entirely covered for extreme off road conditions and vehicle damage. Good luck with hack sawing up your $120k+ (aus) investment.
100%
Pretty sure I posted this a year or so ago but..........
A 4WD club I used to be in had an information night with insurance companies.
If you had any damage on your vehicle, that wasn't reported to your insurance company, regardless of if you were making a claim or not, then your insurance was void.
If you were undertaking any kind of competition or event you were not covered
If the vehicle was being used outside of the manufacturers specifications or design, you were not covered.
If you had made any modifications, that were not reported to your insurance company, you were not covered.
If certain modifications, say to electrical system, were done by a person not qualified or certified to do that work, you were not covered.
If anything was done that did not comply to the Australian design rules for vehicles, or road worthy laws, you were not covered.

As a simple example this vehicles driving lights are mounted in an illegal location and so the vehicle is not road worthy.
The insurance company could easily refuse to honour any insurance claim
1677876093706.png

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Ah , vehicle insurance!
Force majeure vs Pacta sunt servanda (agreements must be kept) is like the current situation in Ukraine.
The outcome is not easy to define.
Best to be prepared and even then , to make wise decisions when moving.

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes totally. That's good information worth sharing. Its this kind of information that's great about 4x4 Clubs.

Local time
Reaction score

A little credit here Ozy, eh? I'm VERY well aware of lots of shoddy shops/installers/hacks in the automotive world; come across many of them in 30+yrs in the trade thus far. Heck, even the internet-famous manufacturers/shops often fail to install their own products correctly! It's a real shame, and frustrating as heck.
You can find a lot of crazy stuff on YT. I'm glad you enjoy watching the carnage, but I don't forsee that anyone here is a YT hack type or wants to become one.

BTW, as some of you might not realize, all of the insurance regulations you have in Oz; we don't have those over here in the "WildWest" of the USA;

If you had any damage on your vehicle, that wasn't reported to your insurance company, regardless of if you were making a claim or not, then your insurance was void.
<You don't have to report an accident to your insurance. Sadly, there are so many drivers driving without insurance! And it screws the insured when there's a collision> :mad:

If you were undertaking any kind of competition or event you were not covered.
<You can partake in any competition or event you want, however most policies have some sort of fine print about not covering "racing, etc." Which is why many at the tarmac racetracks who are engaging in "driver education" with their street cars and smack into a barrier, will have a private tow company tow their vehicle out of the racetrack and onto a public street and make a false insurance claim. NOT saying this is right at all, but what many do.>

If the vehicle was being used outside of the manufacturers specifications or design, you were not covered.
<You can do whatever the heck you want with your own vehicle.>

If you had made any modifications, that were not reported to your insurance company, you were not covered.
<You can do whatever the heck you want with your own vehicle. You can also increase the value of your vehicle by documenting bolted-on upgrades, and advising your insurance company of such, and they'll insure you at a higher value/cost.>

If certain modifications, say to electrical system, were done by a person not qualified or certified to do that work, you were not covered.
<SADLY, you can choose whoever you want to work on your vehicle. The good shops get to clean up these messes. A real bugger that!>

If anything was done that did not comply to the Australian design rules for vehicles, or road worthy laws, you were not covered.
<No USA design rules for vehicles. There are road worthy laws per each of the 50 States, things like can't have exhaust noise above XdB, or can't have tires sticking outside of the fenders without fender flares/mudflaps.>

As a simple example this vehicles driving lights are mounted in an illegal location and so the vehicle is not road worthy.
<These lights would be permitted as long as they aren't blinding oncoming drivers. Even State snowplow trucks drive with lights in this position, but aimed down onto the ground.>

It'll be interesting to see what a well-respected firm like Alu-Cab finds in their Grenadier roof conversion R&D.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A little credit here Ozy, eh? I'm VERY well aware of lots of shoddy shops/installers/hacks in the automotive world; come across many of them in 30+yrs in the trade thus far. Heck, even the internet-famous manufacturers/shops often fail to install their own products correctly! It's a real shame, and frustrating as heck.
You can find a lot of crazy stuff on YT. I'm glad you enjoy watching the carnage, but I don't forsee that anyone here is a YT hack type or wants to become one.

BTW, as some of you might not realize, all of the insurance regulations you have in Oz; we don't have those over here in the "WildWest" of the USA;

<You don't have to report an accident to your insurance. Sadly, there are so many drivers driving without insurance! And it screws the insured when there's a collision> :mad:

We had the same problem so now when you pay your yearly vehicle registration it includes compulsory third party insurance
So even if the owner chooses not to insure their vehicle anyone they hit is covered.

If you were undertaking any kind of competition or event you were not covered.
<You can partake in any competition or event you want, however most policies have some sort of fine print about not covering "racing, etc." Which is why many at the tarmac racetracks who are engaging in "driver education" with their street cars and smack into a barrier, will have a private tow company tow their vehicle out of the racetrack and onto a public street and make a false insurance claim. NOT saying this is right at all, but what many do.>

<You can do whatever the heck you want with your own vehicle.>

<You can do whatever the heck you want with your own vehicle. You can also increase the value of your vehicle by documenting bolted-on upgrades, and advising your insurance company of such, and they'll insure you at a higher value/cost.>

<SADLY, you can choose whoever you want to work on your vehicle. The good shops get to clean up these messes. A real bugger that!>

<No USA design rules for vehicles. There are road worthy laws per each of the 50 States, things like can't have exhaust noise above XdB, or can't have tires sticking outside of the fenders without fender flares/mudflaps.>
ADR's mean that a car manufacturer only has one set of standards to work to to ensure the vehicle is Ok to sell all over Australia
That is one of the biggest problems Ineos has had in the US. Making sure they comply to all different state rules.

<These lights would be permitted as long as they aren't blinding oncoming drivers. Even State snowplow trucks drive with lights in this position, but aimed down onto the ground.>
The main issues with the driving light positions is they block some of the drivers view out the front
They block police view through the windscreen
Nothing is allowed above the bonnet line to protect pedestrians and limit their injuries when they get hit by a 3 tonne brick doing 100kmh

It'll be interesting to see what a well-respected firm like Alu-Cab finds in their Grenadier roof conversion R&D.

Local time
Reaction score
We had the same problem so now when you pay your yearly vehicle registration it includes compulsory third party insurance
So even if the owner chooses not to insure their vehicle anyone they hit is covered.

ADR's mean that a car manufacturer only has one set of standards to work to to ensure the vehicle is Ok to sell all over Australia
That is one of the biggest problems Ineos has had in the US. Making sure they comply to all different state rules.

The main issues with the driving light positions is they block some of the drivers view out the front
They block police view through the windscreen
Nothing is allowed above the bonnet line to protect pedestrians and limit their injuries when they get hit by a 3 tonne brick doing 100kmh

Wow, so the uninsured continue to get away scot-free, while us responsible ones shoulder more costs! :mad:

Copy that. It would be easier here in the USA if everyone played by the same rules.

Back
Top Bottom