The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Airline Rails & Track

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
2:47 PM
Reaction score
For those of you with side and load rails fitted, the clips are available on Amazon. £12 for 6 and they’re identical to the ones on the Grenadier.

The vehicle comes with four and I’m planning to fabricate a table and work surface to hang off them..

Attachments

• 27EAB14F-852E-41AE-A9D9-9841F91FD8BD.jpeg
    27EAB14F-852E-41AE-A9D9-9841F91FD8BD.jpeg
    736.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 1FBC1FBF-9375-45FC-8A2B-E1467D67E8AD.jpeg
    1FBC1FBF-9375-45FC-8A2B-E1467D67E8AD.jpeg
    999.4 KB · Views: 92

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:47 PM
Reaction score
Not at the moment, or I did not found. It´s approx. 1.5m x 1.8m done of 5mm Aluminum plate. A lot of holes
and slots to fix parts and let water drain of. It´s to be mount on the normal two roof racks. I used it a few times on my Touareg I, this was a little be tricky because the roof rack was not in one line, it was in the middle higher than at the side. Now much more easier (and the platform done at a smith shop was for less than 200€, but still 10 years ago).
Now I want to install the airlinerails, because it´s much more comfortable and safer to fix Boxes, jerry cans, etc.
I think I have even somewhere a sketch of it…… Let me look.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:47 PM
Reaction score
A link for German speaking user

www.airlineschienen-shop.de

https://www.airlineschienen-shop.de/

I want to use my old, self constructed aluminium roof platform, this I will pimp up with airline rails and fittings…. keep you informed.
Lots of people use roof systems that they make themselves
In Australia it brings up issues of load ratings, road legal and insurance approvals.
As you can see it is related to European ISO standards
There is a standard to which all have to manufactured and tested to.
Lots of cases where insurance companies have rejected claims because of modified or overloaded roof racks

1676834646391.png

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The prices for airline rail fittings are insane, I've seen. 6.80€ for one (!) simple screw with nut is unacceptable.

But I finally found a source with realistic prices.

I bought 10 pcs. of these. You can chose the length and then see the price. Mine are 25mm which means the thread length. If you tighten the nut there are about 15 mm left to add another nut plus some something to fit under it. The quality is good, it fits very well. The material is stainless steel, the nuts are nyloc types. And 40 kg load (80kg breakforce) is a reasonable specification.

Here is the shop:

They also sell on Amazon where they cost quite a bit more but still acceptable prices:

I like these fittings because you can mount almost anything with them. If you take two of them and drill two 8.5 mm wholes into a piece of steel or an aluminum profile, you bolt this profile to the fittings and then modify it to your likings. For example, by drilling a thread into it or by riveting or welding something to it.

For example like so or even much sturdier with massive profiles (he just shows a somewhat lightweight aluminum square tube) .
That's btw. exactly the supplier where I bought mine (which I found out after purchasing):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrBDtqUOVYA

Last edited:

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:47 AM
Reaction score
I bought some rail from Amazon to play with. But mine is beveled on the side, like a flattened capital A. How wide is the flat part on the L rail on the IG? I assume the round holes and channel underneath are he same, but the exterior.

Is there an official drawing? I have found some stuff, but nothing with the radius of the channel.

Local time
Reaction score
I found some L track bits I want but I cant seem to find any US suppliers atm. Seems the company is German, but I haven't been able to give them a call yet. . .

One is a single stud quick release panel fitting, i'm thinking 2 to hold a small table with a removable aluminum strut down to the flange fitting listed below it.

single stud qr panel fitting
allsafe 110099-20

single stud qc flange fitting
allsafe 110059-10

1697254924727.jpeg

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:47 AM
Reaction score
I found some L track bits I want but I cant seem to find any US suppliers atm. Seems the company is German, but I haven't been able to give them a call yet. . .

One is a single stud quick release panel fitting, i'm thinking 2 to hold a small table with a removable aluminum strut down to the flange fitting listed below it.

single stud qr panel fitting
allsafe 110099-20

single stud qc flange fitting
allsafe 110059-10

View attachment 7829598
Hi Bimmerteck, I looked at their catalog from Germany. Exceptional quality. Let us know if you find an US supplier and if not, how easy is it to order a couple parts from Germany. DaBull

Local time
Reaction score
Hi Bimmerteck, I looked at their catalog from Germany. Exceptional quality. Let us know if you find an US supplier and if not, how easy is it to order a couple parts from Germany. DaBull

Yeah, I had lots of experience with various L track in a previous life fixing high priority coolers into lear jets for rapid transport and the photo below made me cringe. It's about the worst way I can possibly think of to use the track on the side of a gren.

1695803051737-png.7827988

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
It's about the worst way I can possibly think of to use the track on the side of a gren.
You wait , some GoPro wearing YT influencer will use it to abseil down a cliff one day.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah, I had lots of experience with various L track in a previous life fixing high priority coolers into lear jets for rapid transport and the photo below made me cringe. It's about the worst way I can possibly think of to use the track on the side of a gren.

Can you elaborate? For static use with light loads when outdoors I've found them very useful as a "sky hook" already.
I don't understand your concern...

Local time
Reaction score
Can you elaborate? For static use with light loads when outdoors I've found them very useful as a "sky hook" already.
I don't understand your concern...
The basket and the table there are hanging on rings, while it technically works I could just imagine my toddlers bumping that table with my hot coffee running through camp in the morning and hot coffee going everywhere. There is no tension on the rings and nothing is actually anchored to anything.

Black sheep's design is slick but rather cold in a very clean waterjet cut steel type of way. I like its attachment much better with it's support tied to the lower L track mounts, and the way it collapses flat.

I'm just used to L track fittings really solidly fixing things into place and with several points of contact they can be really sturdily fixed into place. You can mount all sorts of things with a simple triangulated aluminum mount, tables, cameras, light machine guns, well you get the idea

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Three US suppliers listed here, if you have not already checked them.

Last edited:

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

This looks more like a sales-display. Pure nonsense in real life.

Back
Top Bottom