The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Abbreviations on this forum ...

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:37 AM
Reaction score
Some hours ago, somebody asked: “what does OP mean”, and the answer was “Original Poster”. Honestly, I didn’t understand either. Easy? Not really, OP can mean a lot of things, Google it!

A long time ago I worked a very short period in Morocco, and they were speaking about a 4R … only days later I understood they were speaking about a R4 (model of a Renault car), if you want to know why they inverted the way of saying … I can explain 😊

I am not fault free, yes, I sin sometimes (thanks God I am human), but I try to avoid abbreviations. It lasted about one week before I understood “IKZ” when I got my second job in 1985, and only years later I understood I shouldn’t be ashamed of not knowing it.

Only two days ago I understood what some people on this forum meant with IA … of course …” Ineos Automotive”! Obvious, … but I am already several months member of this forum, but was too lazy to try to understand.

Let’s make a test:
LR, USA, UK, Stu, … The last abbreviation is the only one I can live with (you may begin to laugh, but wait …)
CSR, AEV, EPA, IA, FT, BTW, VAT, VW, HMRC, BIK, OZ, VED, N1, FYI, IG, PC, DCPU, PTO2, HMRC, PR, GMC, D4, B58, SEP, MEP, B57, ATO, LCT, GVM, AT, BMW, AFAIK, EV, FC, DFC, 4x4, bhp, TS6, L322s, BW, MOT, 4WD, … should I go on? All are abbreviations used on this forum!
By the way, I was a very good consultant in TPM, FMEA, FMECA, RCM, SPC, IKZ, TQC, VCA, … That’s why I am now able to buy a Grenadier 😉

I went through the forum rules of Stu to find an abbreviation, and … fantastic, apart from an “OK”, (this isn’t an abbreviation), NOTHING. This is a clear respectful behavior toward what he calls “This is an international forum”.
And this forum is meant to be an international forum. I don’t expect non-native English speaking people to understand easily English abbreviations, I am myself an non native English speaker, therefore I expect everybody to be “non-lazy” and … or to avoid abbreviations or to explain it in “every” new thread on this forum.

So, my advice, wish, order, hope, expectation, … everybody puts at least once in a post (at least in every thread) what is meant by an abbreviation. 😊... and if you aren't lazy: don't use abbreviations at all! (y)

I hate abbreviations, they make reading so difficult ☹

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
KMT !

Kiss my teeth.

I have a question that has been irritating me for years with all these abbreviations and text speak. What the fcuk does WTF stand for ??

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm very happy to comply with your 'order', as long as you promise to stop hijacking other threads with irrelevant commentary and stories, because AFAIK (as far as I know) you’re one of the main offenders. 😬
I hope he stays undeterred, always very entertaining!

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I hope he stays undeterred, always very entertaining!
I had to look up the word "undeterred" (not an abbreviation but, eh, English isn't my mother tongue) ... Thanks ... (y) ;) but I will somehow restrain myself a little bit, Michael has a point :unsure:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:37 PM
Reaction score
Years ago there was a newspaper story about some surfers at the famous Bondi beach who went swimming after a storm which had caused raw sewage to washed back on the beach from a deep sea outflow. They were also described as swimming "undeterred" but the newspaper headline spelt it differently ...:cool:

TD5-90

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I had to look up the word "undeterred" (not an abbreviation but, eh, English isn't my mother tongue) ... Thanks ... (y) ;) but I will somehow restrain myself a little bit, Michael has a point :unsure:
You know what? Me either ;-) My English is getting worse every day...
I'm going to be an old idiot, progress every day: Today I locked myself out of the house for the first time in my life.
But 'nuff OT (for now at least ;-) )

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today I locked myself out of the house for the first time in my life.
It happened already several times in my life, but I am much older than you ;)
I have a spare key of the front door hidden under the carpet :eek:, well, at another place, but I don't think a thieve will easily find it, not impossible, but almost.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Some years ago, I worked for IBM in an NGN project. They used a lot of TLAs, so I was sometimes a bit confused. But TBH, I learned what they mean ASAP. In particular, the VOIP library API was overloaded with them. The project was designed to comply with HAC requirements and to run on ASCII/POSIX systems as well as on proprietary EBCDIC mainframes. Externally, POTS were to be supported as well. Besides this, we had to comply with some ABIs of other vendors. Our guidelines were mostly documented in RFCs and backed by ISO standards. In particular the URL RFC (RFC1738) was a hard read but was key to understand the URLs BNF. Data was stored in miscellaneous RDBs on professional RAID-NAS and backed by redundant UPS.

AFAIR, they were all more or less English based, but though I am German, I must admit that they speeded up email writing and sometimes even discussions.

Legend (in the order of appearance):
  • IBM: International Brotherhood of Magic ;-)
  • NGN: Next Generation Network
  • TBH: To Be Honest
  • ASAP: As Soon As Possible
  • VOIP: Voice over IP
  • IP: Internet Protocol
  • API: Application Programming Interface
  • HAC: High Availability Cluster
  • ASCII: American Standard Code for Information Interchange
  • POSIX: Portable Operating System Interface
  • EBCDIC: Extended Binary Coded Decimal Interchange Code
  • POTS: Plain Old Telephone System
  • ABI: Application Binary Interface
  • RFC: Request For Comments
  • ISO: International Standards Organization
  • URL: Uniform Resource Locator
  • BNF: Backus Naur Form
  • RDB: Relational DataBase
  • RAID: Redundant Array of Independent Disks
  • NAS: Network Attached Storage
  • UPS: Uninterruptible Power Supply
  • AFAIR: As Far As I Remember
And the most important one: TLA: Three Letter Acronym :ROFLMAO:

🥳

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
@emax IBM - International Business Machines - is how we in the States know that acronym

Back
Top Bottom