The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

3D GUIDES AND REPAIR MANUALS

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
so maintenance is every 20,000km

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:12 PM
Reaction score
so by the 300 days stated I'm guessing the car is 65 days old since transport mode was turned off?
I've got a query against that - 17th March 2023. I think it was still in Hambach. It didn't arrive at my dealers until 28th April 2023.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:12 AM
Reaction score
View Gary’s profileGary Pearson
Gary Pearson 7:43 PM
Hi Jeremy The main owners’ manual is available on the website now as a pdf. If you’re looking for the detailed CAD elements that we’ve referred to in previous Press then these will be released later as they will be finalised once all markets are live (America launches 2024). That said, if there are specific jobs you’re looking to do them let me know what they are and I’ll see if I can get them for you from Aftersales. I asked them today and they said they will have some parts ready for individual customers who need them. Best regards Gary
This might be a reasonable response if the owners manual was better, but it is very light on in terms of detail on things like electrical systems, basic service specifications etc. some time in 2024 is not ok for this stuff

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This might be a reasonable response if the owners manual was better, but it is very light on in terms of detail on things like electrical systems, basic service specifications etc. some time in 2024 is not ok for this stuff
Considering the number of warnings it contains, the fact that the jacking point for the rear axle is not only wrong but dangerous is another fact that speaks to the quality of the document; as does the fact the recommended engine oil is not available anywhere for an individual owner.

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Im trying to get air/oil filters or even the part number or BMW part number .

The part number for the oil filter was #11428583898 but I believe it has been superseded by #11427826799

I've used realoem for the BMW part diagrams and selected two random diesel vehicles with a B57 engine. The realoem site doesn't appear to be updated beyond 2020 however.

The third attachment is from bmwpartsdeal.com
As you can see, the filter almost fits everything under the sun!

oil_filter_B57_01.jpg oil_filter_B57_02.jpg
oil_filter_B57_03.jpg

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Considering the number of warnings it contains, the fact that the jacking point for the rear axle is not only wrong but dangerous is another fact that speaks to the quality of the document; as does the fact the recommended engine oil is not available anywhere for an individual owner.
Precisely. Driving out into remote areas with insufficient sustainment procedures is something normally for the military.

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
  • Thanks Gary. Any idea when the online workshop manual will be available? I've asked about the locations for the footwell pre-wired outlets and I have been given copies of the mini-guide electrical picture. I want to add a dash-cam; if I do it myself, I can spend a day doing it, where an auto-electrician or workshop will be keen to complete in a couple of hours or less, to retain a profit margin. The access to workshop data was a massive part of the USP for me; I want to be able to maintain it now, (if I can be bothered, Chandlers are very tempting), but in 10-15-20 years time, when the usual main dealer wants to concentrate on the next shiny trinket.
  • APR 25 Gary Pearson sent the following message at 1:13 PM
    Gary Pearson 1:13 PM
    Hi Jeremy, I asked the team that has that on their list and the manual should go live this week It’s very much an important part for us as well so we’re keen to put it in your hands Gary
  • Jeremy Edwards sent the following messages at 1:18 PM
    View Jeremy’s profileJeremy Edwards
    Jeremy Edwards 1:18 PM
    Thanks Gary. Do you know how I will get access? Web Portal? Passwords? It’s a novel problem; getting data from any other manufacturer is a “no”, unless you become an agent and spend a vast fortune on dedicated kit.
  • APR 28
    Jeremy Edwards 11:34 AM
    Any news? I will have stuff to bolt to the Grenadier and would like to do it once, properly.
  • MAY 7
    Jeremy Edwards 9:38 PM
    Just to reflect on my previous message; any update? I have enquired via the website and no response at all from there.
  • MAY 11Gary Pearson sent the following message at 7:43 PM
    Gary Pearson 7:43 PM
    Hi Jeremy The main owners’ manual is available on the website now as a pdf. If you’re looking for the detailed CAD elements that we’ve referred to in previous Press then these will be released later as they will be finalised once all markets are live (America launches 2024). That said, if there are specific jobs you’re looking to do them let me know what they are and I’ll see if I can get them for you from Aftersales. I asked them today and they said they will have some parts ready for individual customers who need them. Best regards Gary
  • Jeremy Edwards sent the following messages at 10:23 PM
    Jeremy Edwards 10:23 PM
    Thanks Gary. The current concern is the power feed in the nearside footwell and the ease of whIch I can get a cable from the front windscreen top to the rear screen top and into the rear door, all for a front/rear dash-cam. If there is a trim sub-manual, that would be helpful, as I will need to lift/replace a few bits; knowing how they are fastened makes it less likely I will damage them.
  • View Jeremy’s profileJeremy Edwards
    Jeremy Edwards 10:35 PM
    Are you seriously holding the full release over until 2024? I suggest that is less than ideal and a significant departure from the previously published intentions. There are already early drivers of the released Grenadiers on the fora wanting to do an oil replacement and filter change, so I would prioritise the service procedures and the ability to order service consumables.

• MAY 12
    Jeremy Edwards 10:41 PM

As I had a client meeting nearby, I visited Chandler's at lunchtime and asked about them installing my dashcam. They will come back to me, but at this point, they have no more clue than I do. I was alarmed that the workshop manual is not released to them either. I gather they will be talking to Lee on Monday for guidance."

I am getting a little fed up about the response on the 3D manual, so above is the complete transcript of my LinkedIn messages between April 24th and today. Chandlers have not got back to me as Ineos have not got back to them.
  • Not a happy bunny

Really appreciate the information Disappointing to say the least. I'm sure I.A. knew the demographics of their client base and targeted this with a sales pitch of cad drawings and service info being readily available. Going by this many of us will be touring the boondocks having pulled our vehicles apart to fit them out mainly with the assistance of each other via the likes of this forum. It's the detailed service information I'm mostly concerned about when away from a dealer and then I'm not confident at present that the dealer with have this information either. Maybe dealers will have service part numbers available (fluids and filters as a min) for when I take delivery circa this August as I'm guessing most service items will be bmw other than diff/trans fluids and not sure who knows the fluids in these. Hoping I'm wrong and dealers are all set up with freely available service info and parts availability. 😁

Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
As a US customer, this is the issue that makes me the most nervous about this vehicle. I don’t want another car that I can’t repair because they make it so difficult to get repair info. Even while its in warranty, I don’t want to drive 2 hours to the nearest dealer repeatedly to have them try to fix problems (which is generally what happens).

We have a powerful lobby against the right to repair, and I fear might fall subject to it since they went with the dealership model (the very people who want to retain control over repairs). I think it was around 2014 that Massachusetts passed its pretty robust right to repair law (first to do it, maybe only one to date). All the big auto makers saw the potential floodgates opening in other states, and rushed to put together a memorandum of understanding whereby they voluntarily agreed to follow some provisions of the Mass law to avoid laws being passed elsewhere. Of course, it’s not enforceable - at all. And they’ve never really complied very well. Indy’s routinely have to send cars to the dealer for issues they can’t access. Now they’re back at it trying to avoid compliance even with the Mass law by saying that giving out telematics info needed to repair cars is a national security risk.

I hope Ineos lives up to its word on this, but I’ve got serious doubt they will. And, I’m not sure they ever said the info would be free. Probably a subscription. I hope others with this concern will voice it to Ineos. I’m afraid the days of fixing our own cars (and everything else for that matter) in the US are coming to an end.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
For Australian owners and "soon to be" owners.. .
A glimpse of what's likely: bear with me!
While the "right-to-repair" been establish the federal bureaucracy has further established the Australian Automotive Service and Repair Authority (AASRA) to determine amongst other things who is a "fit and proper person" to undertake such repairs. To access most manufacturers' data one has to firstly be vetted by AASRA ..e g. a bona fide tech at a recognised workshop, apprentice etc etc
I am wondering whether Ineos in their early enthusiasm to provide data to owners, have fallen foul of this fairly recent development as well as owing a duty to protect the dealers' income streams. It's a fine line to tread!
My understanding of all this has come about because I was simply trying to get the genuine instructions for fitting a genuine OEM towbar kit to a late model Subaru. I can get access to the Subaru tech portal for $25 a day. but I have to provide "credentials"!!! Mind you the info is sort of available on the USA techinfo.subaru com/ website albeit for slightly diff. model etc. Sensing my exasperation a kindly Subaru dealer parts person suggested if I have a mechanic mate to offer him a slab of beer to gain access to the right-2-repair com.au/subaru site!
I'm working on it.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update on the battle in the US:

One of the issues there seems to revolve around telematics, but as we don't have this functionality then the argument doesn't really stand up:

"“Open access to vehicle manufacturers’ telematics offerings with the ability to remotely send commands allows for manipulation of systems on a vehicle, including safety-critical functions such as steering, acceleration, or braking,” an NHTSA spokesperson said in a prepared statement. “[Bad actors] could utilize such open access to remotely command vehicles to operate dangerously, including attacking multiple vehicles concurrently.”

Last edited:
Reactions: PBD

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
While the "right-to-repair" been establish the federal bureaucracy has further established the Australian Automotive Service and Repair Authority (AASRA) to determine amongst other things who is a "fit and proper person" to undertake such repairs.
What about classic cars? I'll be damned if anyone other than myself works on mine!

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What about classic cars? I'll be damned if anyone other than myself works on mine!
It's only if you want access to modern car info. e.g Issues with high voltage OH&S for battery cars and hybrids. Also there's concerns with security of keyless entry etc. Apparently a tow bar counts as a safety item!!

Reactions: Max

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
While the "right-to-repair" been establish the federal bureaucracy has further established the Australian Automotive Service and Repair Authority (AASRA) to determine amongst other things who is a "fit and proper person" to undertake such repairs. To access most manufacturers' data one has to firstly be vetted by AASRA ..e g. a bona fide tech at a recognised workshop, apprentice etc etc
I am wondering whether Ineos in their early enthusiasm to provide data to owners, have fallen foul of this fairly recent development as well as owing a duty to protect the dealers' income streams. It's a fine line to tread!
My understanding of all this has come about because I was simply trying to get the genuine instructions for fitting a genuine OEM towbar kit to a late model Subaru. I can get access to the Subaru tech portal for $25 a day. but I have to provide "credentials"!!! Mind you the info is sort of available on the USA techinfo.subaru com/ website albeit for slightly diff. model etc. Sensing my exasperation a kindly Subaru dealer parts person suggested if I have a mechanic mate to offer him a slab of beer to gain access to the right-2-repair com.au/subaru site!
I'm working on it.
Then there's the quiver of special tools...I know that the BMW boys here on the Sunshine Coast have a special tool room with selves after selves...voiding warranty will be in the mix...I am pretty good with light bulbs :cool: I have swapped engines in my series 2 and repaired, and serviced but this time around it is a different level...Back to the brake light globes for me... edit: LEDS

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
15,000 km
Yes, until I contacted my dealer some week ago for the first 15000 km oil change, and he said: 20000 km!
And in the meantime I had an early warning popping up since end of August or beginning of September that I had to do the maintenance within x kilometers and within that any days.

And he did reset my car computer so that wouldn't get the message anymore ...

Therefore, what is it , 15000 or 20000?

I am not very scared, but it is weird!

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
15,000 km
Yes, until I contacted my dealer some week ago for the first 15000 km oil change, and he said: 20000 km!
And in the meantime I had an early warning popping up since end of August or beginning of September that I had to do the maintenance within x kilometers and within that any days.

And he did reset my car computer so that wouldn't get the message anymore ...

Therefore, what is it , 15000 or 20000?

I am not very scared, but it is weird!
The first service, which includes an oil change, is usually due at 12,000 miles (19,200kms).

2wheelfish

Production/Transit
Forum Supporter
Local time
9:12 AM
Reaction score
Don’t want to start an oil discussion, but I’ll probably do an oil/filter change at around a 1000 miles on my own just for my peace of mind. New engines may not need this, but I’m old school and it’ll let me sleep.

Back
Top Bottom