The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

17" vs 18" wheels

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:29 PM
Reaction score
Do the 18” alloys have some sort of beadlock? or maybe it’s an option, very useful if you are running very low psi on sand.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:29 AM
Reaction score
If anybody is doing a lot of sand you probably know exactly what you need and that is tyre specific, big floating tyres but for the alrounder and you are tackling sand here and there 17s with the KO2s at the right pressure will have the right footprint lengthwise with little tyre squirm. My favorites back in the 16 days were skinny 175/16 Road track Majors at around 15/20 psi on my MQ Patrol 1980 SD33 with no turbo and towing an International Scout over the main blow at Fraser Island Qld Aust with 7 guys on board, start at the bottom in the gear you are going to be in at the top, usually, that was the answer. I wasn't towing the Scout for fun it was a breakdown.

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
Do the 18â alloys have some sort of beadlock? or maybe itâs an option, very useful if you are running very low psi on sand.
I think the standard 18 inch alloys would not be bead locked. In Australia they are not allowed on licences road vehicles so doubt they would be offereing them as standard wheels. There are many alloys that have that fake bead lock look.

I run 18 alloys atm but will probably opt for the 17” alloys as I don’t like the fake bead lock look.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
1:29 PM
Reaction score
Fakes on an Grenadier ? o_O

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For me, that's btw. a reason not to employ a roof mounted spare. Even a bonnet mounted spare is not easy to handle.
Work smarter not harder...Ive found it easier to lift a wheel, with the help of a sling, onto a roof than attempt to line up the lugs on a rear door and get a wheel nut on before the shaking in my arms makes the task impossible.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220805_184532.jpg
    Screenshot_20220805_184532.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 45

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Of course the really smart way...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220805_190339_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220805_190339_com.google.android.youtube.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As someone using this vehicle on the road 90 + % of the time. Thinking that 18” on steel rims will work best for me. Any thoughts to the contrary?
18" steel with a not so aggressive tyre, maybe a Bridgestone Dueller and if you wish to have better mileage run them at a higher pressure. This will lessen the footprint, so you have to be aware in wet conditions but the upside is stiffer sidewalls with less tyre squirm for better driving ability through the bends...happy motoring

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:29 PM
Reaction score
As someone using this vehicle on the road 90 + % of the time. Thinking that 18” on steel rims will work best for me. Any thoughts to the contrary?
It depends on if you want comfort or handling and what the off roading is like for the other 10%
17" is slightly more comfortable on and off road but 18" will give better handling on road. You can select the Bridgestone tyres. for better on road and OK if only doing easy off road.
I guess you have to be really honest when selecting wheels and tyres and particularly if the 90% on road is really 95% and the offroad is really just green laning/dirt roads.
Or if the 90% is really 80% and the offroad is hard core rock hopping

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It depends on if you want comfort or handling and what the off roading is like for the other 10%
17" is slightly more comfortable on and off road but 18" will give better handling on road. You can select the Bridgestone tyres. for better on road and OK if only doing easy off road.
I guess you have to be really honest when selecting wheels and tyres and particularly if the 90% on road is really 95% and the offroad is really just green laning/dirt roads.
Or if the 90% is really 80% and the off-road is hard core rock hopping
Whilst staying with 17" wheels - I think I have changed my combo of wheels/tyres at least 10 times on the configurator!!

I love the look of the BFG's with the steel wheels but the Bridgestone A/T have been "fine tuned" for the Grenadier.

I dont think the BFG's are only for "hard core rock hopping". I do not plan any "hard core rock hopping" insofar as that being the reason for taking out the Grenadier.

I don't overly like the look of the Bridgestones but I know that only 10-15% of my km's will be off-road and almost all of that will be on marked gravel/dirt roads albeit, many at altitude, where in rain things can get slippery/boggy.

Re: road noise and handling: does anyone have experience of driving BFG's & Bridgestone Dueler on bitumen

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Both Dave and Max confirm my thoughts. 18” would be the better option in many ways. Any off-road trips would be of the ‘none damage’ version so relatively mild compared to folk from Australia, SA & parts of the US along with those ‘Hard core’ Europeans using the vehicle entirely for its design purpose.

Last edited:

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Whilst staying with 17" wheels - I think I have changed my combo of wheels/tyres at least 10 times on the configurator!!

I love the look of the BFG's with the steel wheels. I dont think the BFG's are only for "hard core rock hopping". I do not plan any "hard core rock hopping" insofar as that being the reason for taking out the Grenadier.

I don't overly like the look of the Bridgestones but I know that only 10-15% of my km's will be off-road and almost all of that will be on marked gravel/dirt roads albeit, many at altitude, where in rain things can get slippery/boggy.

Re: road noise and handling: does anyone have experience of driving BFG's & Bridgestone Dueler on bitumen
Over 80,000 miles on 18” BFG A/T on road almost exclusively. Very very happy with them. I do however like the look of the higher sidewall on the 17”

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And until someone gives the wheel weights we won't even know the fun facts of the matter!

Is this still the case ~ no info on the various wheel/tyre options?

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The tyres way the same and it is available from the tyre manufacturers site.
The alloy wheels typically way about 1.5 to 2.5 kgs less than steel ones.
So the actual weights are irrelevant

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well let's get the facts and then we'll actually know... 🙄

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
we have to be aware that there are potentially thousands of people around the world asking them unnecessary questions.
this blocks up the system and drowns their resources.
Who cares what the wheels weigh?
They weigh what they weigh, pick the ones you like and move on.
What brand are the sockets in the roof???
Who cares, when you finally get a vehicle go down to your local Jaycar or whatever and buy some plugs to suit.
So many of these questions and comments are just rubbish.
I called my local dealer and the receptionist didn't know what colour the cup holders are in my utility wagon!!
Get a life, get a job, get a hobby!

• Use respect and courtesy when you have a different opinion than other members. People often come to this forum with questions about the Grenadier, they are looking for advice on how to buy, the ordering process and technical specifics. I encourage everyone to participate in the various discussions this creates, there may be several correct answers or maybe no right answer -- only suggestions, and thats ok. Disagreeing with other members is perfectly acceptable as long as you state your opinion or mere conjecture and use a respectful tone in your writing, the experience will be better for everyone if we remember this. If you have an opinion and someone else has the polar opposite then please be tolerant, trying to force someone to see your point of view rarely works face to face and almost never does virtually. As stated earlier the forum language is primarily English, however this may be a second or even third language for some of the members and this must be borne in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
we have to be aware that there are potentially thousands of people around the world asking them unnecessary questions.
Who cares, when you finally get a vehicle go down to your local Jaycar or whatever and buy some plugs to suit.
I called my local dealer and the receptionist didn't know what colour the cup holders are in my utility wagon!!

You forgot to say that it is unacceptable that they don’t know the color of your cup holders and that you are thinking of pulling your reservation.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
C’mon Dave, be a sport. Fantasy football is all we have until the season gets underway.

Local time
Reaction score
Having picked up both combos i.e. one in one hand one in another the BFGs are far heavier then the Bridgestones and the steel wheels are heavier then the alloys.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Both Dave and Max confirm my thoughts. 18” would be the better option in many ways. Any off-road trips would be of the ‘none damage’ version so relatively mild compared to folk from Australia, SA & parts of the US along with those ‘Hard core’ Europeans using the vehicle entirely for its design purpose.
Drove RTW on 19” alloys, with excellent (but now discontinued) Cooper Zeon LTZs. Carried two spares in the Australian style. Experienced two punctures and cracked one rim. Had some other rim damage due to how I was securing the spare carried on the roof rack. Replaced four of the six tyres in Russia and two more in the US.

As a former EU resident I’d say alloys/ATs are good for everywhere you’re likely to go, including longer range trips such as Morocco/The Magreb and Turkey/Transcaucasus. Not sure about the really high northern latitudes though.

I’ll be ordering steelies/BFGs and carrying a persuader for field repairs in outback Oz and South America. Not sure I’ll bother with the second spare however.

Back
Top Bottom