The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

17" vs 18" wheels

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
5:20 PM
Reaction score
Over 80,000 miles on 18” BFG A/T on road almost exclusively. Very very happy with them. I do however like the look of the higher sidewall on the 17”
Ditto. I’m on my third set of 18” BFG ATs and close to 300,000 over 22 years on my Defenders 18” alloys. Wouldn’t run anything else but that’s my personal opinion.

But I don’t like the fake bead lock 18” alloy offering so looking at the 17s fir my Grenadier.

After the Defender I reckon the G with 17”s will feel like a sports car🤣

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
LikeAfter the Defender I reckon the G with 17”s will feel like a sports car

Defender versus Responder.
It will definitely feel like a sports car. A Grenadier is a front-line responder not standing on the back foot defending the post. Don't get me wrong, I love the old girls and have a series II with BFG ATs under her but now the next generation has arrived...happy motoring

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:20 AM
Reaction score
Freewheeling hubs are something I would be interested in but haven't heard or read anything yet? I suspect an aftermarket supplier, which would be a wait.
And for what it's worth 17" plus KO2 which I have on my Series 2 are not just brilliant but it seems to balance the car aesthetically and from the images and look of the prototype, I agree with DaveB, it looks right for the vehicle.
I guess free wheeling hubs wouldn’t be much good in a vehicle with permanent four wheel drive. I’ve only seen them on vehicles with selectable 4 or 2 wheel drive, such as my old hilux

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I guess free wheeling hubs wouldn’t be much good in a vehicle with permanent four wheel drive. I’ve only seen them on vehicles with selectable 4 or 2 wheel drive, such as my old hilux
I might have the wrong idea but my take on the centre diff lock is engaging the front end, yes it is always turning but not driven until engaged...any thoughts? If it is the case then free-wheeling hubs would just stop all the unnecessary wear while not engaged...happy motoring

Disco Dave

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
I might have the wrong idea but my take on the centre diff lock is engaging the front end, yes it is always turning but not driven until engaged...any thoughts? If it is the case then free-wheeling hubs would just stop all the unnecessary wear while not engaged...happy motoring
Yep, you got it wrong. The IG is constant 4WD, the centre diff allows the front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds for cornering. The centre diff lock, when engaged, keeps both axles at the same speed.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:20 AM
Reaction score
On a permanent four wheel drive the front and rear axles are permanently engaged via the centre differential, The centre diff lock ensures the same power goes to both axles in the event of one wheel lifting off the ground . During normal road use the centre diff lock is left dis engaged so that front and back axles can turn at different speeds for cornering. Free wheeling hubs are only used on selectable four wheel drive vehicles such as Toyota pick ups and old series Landrover that have no centre differential.
hope this helps and that I haven’t got it wrong 🤔

Local time
Reaction score
Hey who wants my opinion?

I have driven around 1 million km on BFG K0 and BFG K02. The best tire. I have tried other types and went back to the BFG. I usually get over 100,000 KM before I buy new ones. Great on the highway in snow and ice and on muddy roads.

Here in Canada there is a lot of salt on the road and pickling to melt ice. This contributes to Alloy wheels seizing onto the steel rotors. Dissimilar metals can bond. Many times I have had to lay under my truck swinging a sledge hammer on the rubber trying to break the rim free. Having to change a tire in a remote setting with this problem would be impossible with out the hammer. Steel rims and steel rotors never corrode together. That's why I'm going with the steel. Alloy sure look nice. :)

Smaller rim big tire is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom