The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

UK & Ireland 12 May - there are 7 for sale on Autotrader

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:14 PM
Reaction score
Yesterday 6, today 7 are being flipped. Three just shy of £100k. The surprise is some are around 1000 miles.

What is the motivation, MONEY or car not as EXPECTED?

Have to say if £30k can be made so easy you can understand the temptation.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:14 PM
Reaction score
To me 30k GBP on top is quite a reason. - So just making money. Reminds me on the initial selling of Mercedes G contracts long ago. People just did it for flipping. This something IA cant prevent.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yesterday 6, today 7 are being flipped. Three just shy of £100k. The surprise is some are around 1000 miles.

What is the motivation, MONEY or car not as EXPECTED?

Have to say if £30k can be made so easy you can understand the temptation.
would hypothesise most just speculators from the off. would be surprised if any fall into the 'not as expected' column. perhaps some people have changed circumstances and need cash rather than car.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
As mentioned before, if you have the money to but the car outright, even if you change your mind a year before delivery, its still worth buying it and flipping it. Even 3rd party dealers will give you a few K over sticker atm... easy money. Thats what we're seeing here. Simple

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thing is, how many will actually sell at that price?

Its frustrating waiting, but would I pay 30K more to have one now? No. Because the value will drop to sticker price the moment you drive away. I’ll guess that in 3 months time the ones on AT will be at sticker price..

Only a mug would pay 100k for a 60k car.

MrJAT

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think they will sell at that price and to be honest can see them going higher yet. It depends a bit on how quickly IA can ramp up production and get cars out of the door. The car looks great in the flesh and several people have said to me it looks better than on the website. It is possible that as people start seeing more and more of them on the road demand will increase to the point that extended lead times on new vehicles pushes used prices through the roof. Used HGV prices reached nearly DOUBLE what they were a year earlier recently owing to new trucks supply shortages with Manufacturers quoting lead times of well over 12 months on new HGVs and then there is the body to build on the back. This combined with a spike in demand owing to low emissions zones coming into force everywhere requiring companies to update their fleets and it is a perfect storm.

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well nearly everyone who has one now bought the car blind, maybe the did the off-road test drive, but not on the road until the last week or 2. if you got one and did not like it then sell it. Maybe Ineos should have made the first few batches of cars with refundable deposits (after signed contracts)) dependent on a real test drive. It’s great they are asking more so people should not loose out anyway but Ibet there would have been an uproar if there was a 10-20% loss.

Arkaig

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
In terms of flipping, I think Ineos should have removed the warranty on vehicles sold within the first 18 months, such warranty able to subsequently be re-instated at a "suitable price" by any new purchaser.

Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
I think it's totally fair to buy without driving and sell if it's not quite right for you. And that option shouldn't be taken away.

Some of those isted are probably straight flips, or maybe a try out. Lots of things to do with any money made, even buy a car ...

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Built on a TOYOTA LANDCRUISER chassis????? Does he know what is saying????

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:14 PM
Reaction score
In terms of flipping, I think Ineos should have removed the warranty on vehicles sold within the first 18 months, such warranty able to subsequently be re-instated at a "suitable price" by any new purchaser.
I can’t even begin to imagine the legal minefield that would create. In any case, inflated 2nd hand market prices don’t really hurt Ineos. If anything they might drive more people to buy new who we’re thinking of waiting for cheaper used vehicles.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thing is, how many will actually sell at that price?

Its frustrating waiting, but would I pay 30K more to have one now? No. Because the value will drop to sticker price the moment you drive away. I’ll guess that in 3 months time the ones on AT will be at sticker price..

Only a mug would pay 100k for a 60k car.
There are plenty of mugs around…. and with money to burn. Just returned from a do where most people there didn’t know what it was, but “wanted one”…

alvan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are plenty of mugs around…. and with money to burn. Just returned from a do where most people there didn’t know what it was, but “wanted one”…
When such proposals appear on the market, however bizarre they may be, they are a sign of strong desirability. If Ineos finally begins to deliver in controlled numbers, sufficient to make Gren real but difficult to obtain, desirability and value increase ... Obviously we are not in the presence of an F40 or a 959, in very small numbers, but enough limited on a worldwide scale to make Gren a rare pearl...

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
At the moment they won’t shift very quickly, as most of us are all to aware that the vast majority of the general public don’t even know who Ineos are let along a Grenadier.

As soon as the footballers, Wags, & YouTube influencers get their hands on them because they want one and a vehicle that no one else has is desirable, then prices will take off…..Hopefully

Ineos are the masters of their own destiny here and as the old adage goes, you only get one chance to make a first impression !!

Local time
Reaction score
This also happened with the new Defender.

Also the Suzuki Jimny. ln fact it's still happening with the Suzuki.

The only issue l can see with it is, those who can afford to buy one and immediately flip it for a profit are clogging up the order books and increasing wait times for those who genuinely want to buy one and use it.

Land Rover eventually made buyers sign an agreement not to sell their new Defender for six months after purchasing.

Before this the dealers themselves were offering £5-10,000 to buyers to "walk away" from their new Defender.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Got that wrong - there are now TEN for sale.

A couple have been sold and more come up. Seems like a good earner!

All with some miles (as high as 1800).

My question is it the money or is it a dislike of the vehicle?

Ineresting the asking price is between 20-30k over purchase price!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom