The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Double cab / pickup gets a name ~ Quartermaster

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
5:17 PM
Reaction score
I think it won't do that well. Not because its ugly or crap but because it's not an American pickup.
It's a lightwieght compared to the modern F series.
It has a comparatively small and complex engine along with a lot of other European stuff that you guys see as restrictive or unneccesary.
It's more of a French Pastry than a Full Rack of ribs sizzling on a BBQ.
More fizzy pink wine than a 6 pack of St Arnolds Lawnmower or a bladder full of Budweiser.
And it's really expensive compared to an F-350 XL too

It will appeal to some but not to the Texas/mid-western markets (IMO)
It's new too so that doesn't inspire confidence either, it needsto earn that rugged-n-reliable factor.

I'm speccing one and am close to paying the deposit as I think it fits the European/British psyche, it certainly fits the roads and will pretty much do what I want it to do which includes replacing my existing Toyota Hilux.

You're basically right but the USA is a big country. There are plenty of "Sportsmen" here with pretensions of grandeur. How many does Ineos need to sell here anyway?

Heres the 130 pickup ... it's a bit sad but is all there.
Obviously a different class/era from the Ineos QM

This is an early 300tdi version built in 1994.

Me want.

I didn't even know they had the rounded back cab. I just assumed they were similar to the D90 of the same era. I do see the utilitarian value of the QM's squared rear cab, though. Plus it's a thing here in some circles to have a soft bed cover like a Prairie Schooner.

Local time
1:17 AM
Reaction score
You're basically right but the USA is a big country. There are plenty of "Sportsmen" here with pretensions of grandeur. How many does Ineos need to sell here anyway?

Good question, no idea.

Me want.
I didn't even know they had the rounded back cab. I just assumed they were similar to the D90 of the same era. I do see the utilitarian value of the QM's squared rear cab, though. Plus it's a thing here in some circles to have a soft bed cover like a Prairie Schooner.

All of the pickups have the same cab back, they are completely interchangable.
The D90 and the 110 came in either a van top (solid sides) or a County station wagon (with windows).
30 (ish) M8 bolts and a couple of new rubber seals and you could go from a Van to Station wagon in a few hours.
The Safari doors fitted both styles and disn't care if it was a Series a 90 or a 110.

I think a lot of us (well me really) was hoping that the Grenny was being made with the same simplicity and interchangable ethos ...

The 'soft bed' (Praire Schooner) is called a 'tilt' here and required a drop down tailgate on the back.
The cab back and/or van top is removed and a frame installed to attach the canvas.
I had one. it was impractical, noisy, cold and leaked worse than the station wagon with alpine windows and sunroof options.
For that 10 days a year when the weather was good enough, driving around with the top off and the windscreen folded down was glorious.
But that is all history now.

The new boy on the block is the Grenny.
I hope, now it's born, like a parrot without a beak, it will suck-seed. (y)

Local time
Reaction score
I think it won't do that well. Not because its ugly or crap but because it's not an American pickup.
It's a lightwieght compared to the modern F series.
It has a comparatively small and complex engine along with a lot of other European stuff that you guys see as restrictive or unneccesary.
It's more of a French Pastry than a Full Rack of ribs sizzling on a BBQ.
More fizzy pink wine than a 6 pack of St Arnolds Lawnmower or a bladder full of Budweiser.
And it's really expensive compared to an F-350 XL too

It will appeal to some but not to the Texas/mid-western markets (IMO)
It's new too so that doesn't inspire confidence either, it needsto earn that rugged-n-reliable factor.

I'm speccing one and am close to paying the deposit as I think it fits the European/British psyche, it certainly fits the roads and will pretty much do what I want it to do which includes replacing my existing Toyota Hilux.
Well said that man

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I think a lot of us (well me really) was hoping that the Grenny was being made with the same simplicity and interchangable ethos ...

I'm in your corner on that.

With a global market vehicle IA would have been faced with the dilemma of where to put the roll cage - inside like a Jeep or outside like a Defender. It seems they put the rollover protection into the body structure and we now lose the versatility and ease of repair. Funny, the C pillar on the QM must not be quite strong enough as they've fitted a roll bar from the factory

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:17 AM
Reaction score
Just picking up that lots of people think the quartermaster is ‘1 foot‘ (~300mm) longer than the wagon. It is not; the wheelbase is 300-odd mm longer, there’s an additional rear overhang for ~500mm total longer Vehicle.

surprised how many, particularly youtubers, are missing these mm😉. I do share a few people’s resigned sigh that the wagon doesnt have those 200mm interior space; would make many things easier that the ute version doesnt solve either. At least for me.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Funny, the C pillar on the QM must not be quite strong enough as they've fitted a roll bar from the factory

It's only being described as this, and if it only bolts down to the tub sides might not be much protection in a roll:
Screenshot_20230717_084438.jpg

And I think you have to delete it to get the canvas top:
Screenshot_20230717_084810.jpg
Screenshot_20230717_084830.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
I watched Goodwood live and there was a Hydrogen powered Grenadier going up the hill. Looked like it was scooting along pretty good as well. Personally, I would rather have Hydrogen powered Grenadier than an electric one. Good looking truck that Quartermaster is. You can see it at the around the -2:00:00 mark

Really interesting, thanks here is also the link on the Sky Sport feed
View: https://youtu.be/fZ-GBS0TkjE?t=1331

Local time
Reaction score
It's only being described as this, and if it only bolts down to the tub sides might not be much protection in a roll:

And I think you have to delete it to get the canvas top:

The 'roll bar' would offer significantltly more protection than if it's not there and being attached to the corners of the tub will be reasonable strong.
I do agree though that a real roll bar should nominaly be attached to the chassis, so I guess its more style over function.

I can further imagine that the cabin is of the same construction as the Grenny's rear end so as @255/85 surmised the rollover protection is encased in the C pillar/body construction.

I've specced the tilt but don't know how that attaches (to the tub) and how strong it will be, not very is my guess.
It's just a rendered CAD drawing at the moment and a seemingly very expensive option.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I watched Goodwood live and there was a Hydrogen powered Grenadier going up the hill. Looked like it was scooting along pretty good as well. Personally, I would rather have Hydrogen powered Grenadier than an electric one. Good looking truck that Quartermaster is. You can see it at the around the -2:00:00 mark

If you can wade through the existential angst, there's a few bits on the hydrogen vehicle here:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have just noticed that if you select the Tonneau cover you must select the roof platform and spare wheel carrier.
That means you will have most of the roof rack taken up by the very heavy spare wheel and won't be able to open the safari windows.
Also makes it an AUD$152K (EURO 93K USD$102K) vehicle

1690489426575.png1690489465470.png1690489950522.png1690489745575.png1690489569687.png

Local time
Reaction score
It seems as if INEOS are insisting you have a spare wheel ?
With the tonneau cover the spare won't fit in the back so 'has' to go on the roof.

Is it a legal requirement to carry a spare ?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
4 grand for a cargo cover? Gawd!
Just put a lockable canopy over it.
How much are they?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It seems as if INEOS are insisting you have a spare wheel ?
With the tonneau cover the spare won't fit in the back so 'has' to go on the roof.

Is it a legal requirement to carry a spare ?
Not in the UK, but if you carry a spare it must be legally compliant (tread depth etc) to pass an MOT if presented for an MOT, with the spare on/in the vehicle. In other words if it is not legal at the time, take it off the vehicle when going for an MOT.

Local time
Reaction score
Not in the UK, <snip>

Ays, sorry I wasn't clear there was I ... :rolleyes:
Is it a legal requirement in the EU, the US or Aus to carry a spare ?
I was wondering why, all of a sudden, this new 'requirement' has appeared.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Ays, sorry I wasn't clear there was I ... :rolleyes:
Is it a legal requirement in the EU, the US or Aus to carry a spare ?
I was wondering why, all of a sudden, this new 'requirement' has appeared.
You are not requires to carry a spare in the US. Big trend right now is rear spare tire delete on jeeps.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have just noticed that if you select the Tonneau cover you must select the roof platform and spare wheel carrier.
That means you will have most of the roof rack taken up by the very heavy spare wheel and won't be able to open the safari windows.
Also makes it an AUD$152K (EURO 93K USD$102K) vehicle

View attachment 7821456View attachment 7821457View attachment 7821460View attachment 7821459View attachment 7821458
Rather odd when Ineos display this at Goodwood:1689194761890.png

Back
Top Bottom