The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Windows Gullwing

Manuel4x4

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:07 AM
Reaction score
Hi there. What experience do you have or do we know about windows. They seem to me that they can be useful but how they behave in terms of.
Theft security.
Water tightness.
Noises
Durability.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:07 AM
Reaction score
They look interesting to me as well Manuel, I'm sure there will be extra wind noise for sure, but I don't think this is going to be the quietest vehicle anyway so you may not notice.
As for water tightness if the make it so that there is some adjustability in the design then I think we should be ok.
And sealing should not be a problem provided they design the drains to work properly and not have a tiny plastic fitting that breaks in the passenger footwell, yes I'm talking about you Land Rover.

Manuel4x4

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.I hope I can see how it looks at the Grenadier before ordering it.The ones I have seen in land rover defender do not convince me much as they age.

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
So I have seen Gullwings in G wagons (made by Frontrunner). The prior gen G wagons (1979 - 2018) have a very simple window design with the glass fitting into a rubber panel which lends itself to the gullwing also being a good simple design. I doesn't add any more noise..in whats an already very noisy vehicle due to the boxy shape.

However, when I look at the Grenadiers 3rd row windows, they look like a more modern sealed window design. So the gull wing panel looks like it mounts similarly with a sealed design, The opening of the gull wing should be a tad smaller with a door seal like design. No reason to think it wont be water proof. If anything the replaceable seal should make it serviceable.

As you can see from the images below, the designs are roughly similar but the window mounting styles being different lends itself to a slightly different gull wing design

Elson

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
10:07 AM
Reaction score
That's a cool picture of the roof accessory in that first pictire Paachi, need to get myself back on the configurator as I didn't see it in the original options!

Manuel4x4

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Hello, I think that the image with the window and the roof rack corresponds to a Mercedes G, He has put it as an example of how the window could be in the Ineos.
Greetings.

Elson

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Manuel4x4 said:
Hello, I think that the image with the window and the roof rack corresponds to a Mercedes G, He has put it as an example of how the window could be in the Ineos.
Greetings.

So it does! That'll teach me to look closer and get less excited before I've had my coffee, haha

Paachi

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Haha. Also how a close facsimile the G and Gren are

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Manuel4x4 said:
Hi there. What experience do you have or do we know about windows. They seem to me that they can be useful but how they behave in terms of.
Theft security.
Water tightness.
Noises
Durability.

The main designer comes from the world of Boats, so I reckon he knows how to make stuff at least watertight! And if they are waterproof, they are likely also other types of "proof" but of course the proof will be in the pudding. Both the Gull Wing windows and the sunroofs remind me more of yacht/marine-style hatches than they do of traditional automotive work so that is promising!

Local time
Reaction score
I installed this type of window in my 100 series a few years back and found them to be very useful.
if your vehicle has wheel carriers or a trailer attached for example it makes access quick and easy.
They allow many options for storage in the rear of a vehicle.
if this was a factory fitted offer at point of purchase I would choose it.

Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
Any update on the availability of gullwing access on the rear windows? I recall they were available on the Australian configurator but they disappeared some months back? Any intel on why? Thanks

Local time
Reaction score
I have Gullwing windows on both Defenders and they are awesome. Both for side access to the trunk of the car and when equipped with a storage system/cabinet for things like kitchen utensils. That's what I have. One side of the car has an open window, the other has the kitchen. I'm rooting for Explore-Glazing !!!

Attachments

• 363062061_10230778500227310_4895146640830431278_n.jpg
    363062061_10230778500227310_4895146640830431278_n.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:07 PM
Reaction score
Na obou Defenderech mám okna Gullwing a jsou úžasná. A to jak pro boční přístup do kufru auta, tak při vybavení úložným systémem/skříňkou na věci, jako jsou kuchyňské náčiní. To je to, co mám. Na jedné straně auta je volné okno, na druhé je kuchyň. Fandím Explore-Glazing !!!
What???

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:07 AM
Reaction score
Google translate:

I have Gullwing windows on both Defenders and they are amazing. Both for side access to the trunk of the car and when equipped with a storage system/cabinet for things such as kitchen utensils. This is what I have. There is a free window on one side of the car, and the kitchen on the other. I'm a fan of Explore-Glazing !!!

Back
Top Bottom