The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Winch or not ?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:40 PM
Reaction score
the rope supplied is 15m, the drum is narrower than most due to the custom build and to make it fit between the front chassis rails. there is a possibility that if you can locate a stronger rope of a smaller diameter then it could be longer.
I asked Red Winches this question and this was their reply.
IMG_4904.jpeg

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
8:40 AM
Reaction score
It just needs to be wound on carefully @Fidei Defensor. If one is not prepared to guide the last section of line it would be better to stop at the marked location.

I was concerned about the performance under load, a major reason to install the winch shackle (which ensures both the winch line eye and the soft shackle are kept at the desired diameter).

If you zoom in you might spot that I have a spool around the shank of the winch shackle, which has a similar effect as a fixed eye.
If you compare it to @grenadierboy ’s example (maybe is without a spool?) you can picture the effect just having a bare shank.

I don’t anticipate any issue with NOT using a spool, but our use case anticipates operating a long way from replacement components (and medical assistance), so our setup is designed to maximise the longevity of shackles/line and the safety of winching operations. Normal users can rather easily just pick up new soft shackles when the ones they use show wear/are damaged.

If one isn’t planning to use a shackle in this way it may be worth sleeving the exposed section of winch line, simply to protect it from the elements etc.

I think you are 100% in using a spool. Without it, you are bending the line more than "permitted" (for safety/breaking considerations). I will likely buy a spool and "stopper" (Factor 55 have an excellent - but - range here in the US

Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
I've had a front-mounted fixed winch simultaneously on 6 of my cars. Most probably all of them have been used more on other tasks than plain recovery tasks but of course also on those. I have even started my car with winch 3 times due to starter motor problems! Service for them needed depending on use only every 4-15 years.

My IG will have a factory mounted winch. And a snatch block will help in awkward situations.

Here 1992 Disco 1 200Tdi winches New Defender 2022 stuck in snow ...

IMG_3639.JPG

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
As I was reading through the older posts, there's mention that part of the high cost of the factory winch is the addition of a heavier duty spring-set up front. Is there somewhere where I can read up on this from Ineos themselves?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As I was reading through the older posts, there's mention that part of the high cost of the factory winch is the addition of a heavier duty spring-set up front. Is there somewhere where I can read up on this from Ineos themselves?
I don’t believe there is anything official from INEOS, however somewhere here there is a thread where people have reported the springs that have been supplied with their vehicles and there are clearly different springs for different specifications. INEOS people have verbally confirmed this with me and others

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Disregard. I found what I was looking for. I got the Saber shackle, and a spool from Factor55. All good!

Last edited:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@globalgregors I just started reading this thread again after losing track of it for a while. Any recommendations on an eye spool? I see a Factor55 one on a quick Google search.

I've just ordered the Saber shackle from Qikazz (4x4andcamping.com) which was the only site that looked like they were vendors to the USA.

I'll be looking to get 2 of the Red Winches - 8T or 12T (?) - Snatch rings or something similar if I can't get the RW ones in the US.
The Factor55 spool was the only one I could find in stock that fit within the Saber shackle jaw.

12T kit is the go for a vehicle of this size, particularly if it’s going to be loaded and/or sunk to its diffs.

8T you could get away with if the vehicle is unloaded and/or you’re prepared to dig everything clear before attempting the recovery. eg use 8T carefully if it’s all that’s to hand but if you’re shopping maybe best get the 12T.

Just my view, perhaps confirm with the vendor.

cjsmith

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I have now watched some youtube videos showing how to operate a Tirfor or a Hilift Jack. Oh my god.

In an emergency situation, lost in nowhere, this is really an option. But itakes time. As far as I have seen, you can usually forget about the afternoon and you really have to be fit. Ok, why not.

Another thing is weight. A good Tirfor (say 3200Kg) and a cable quickly sums up 50 or 65 Kg, depending on the brand and the length of the cable. The cable has to be made of steel due to the functioning principle of the Tirfor, so it is quite heavy. A short steel-cable would however work if you extend it with a plastic rope and only use the steel part for winching. This saves some kilograms.

Maybe it's better to transport 65 Kg for 10% of the time than 45 Kg for 100% of the time. But you have to secure this load whilst driving, it can become a dangerous missile.

There was another idea: The removable winch. Works front and aft. Does anybody know what it weighs?
Another idea: a 3 ton Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller with synthetic rope. I carry one in the back of my truck at all times. Have used it to pull down trees as well. Probably weighs about 25 pounds. Cast iron strong.

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
Another idea: a 3 ton Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller with synthetic rope. I carry one in the back of my truck at all times. Have used it to pull down trees as well. Probably weighs about 25 pounds. Cast iron strong.
Looks good! I can see it as not only a rear recovert kit but, as you said, for pullinmg trees upright after a hurricane! (I had to use my D90 winch and multiple snatch blocks to get at some inaccessible mango trees in our Florida garden last year!

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m a fool. I still carry a Jackall and about 25lbs of chain attachments. I can do a lot with it, just slowly.

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t believe there is anything official from INEOS, however somewhere here there is a thread where people have reported the springs that have been supplied with their vehicles and there are clearly different springs for different specifications. INEOS people have verbally confirmed this with me and others
Oh awesome, great info!

Back
Top Bottom