The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Which Car Should Go?

Farglebah

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
4:41 AM
Reaction score
This is a bit tangential to the “What’s everyone driving…?” thread so I started another to ask for some well considered and balanced advice? I have a two car garage currently occupied by a 2010 120,000km auto diesel Skoda Superb wagon and a 2007 44,000km manual RX8. Which one should go to make space for the Grenadier? As mine could arrive any time in the next 1 - 36 months, I need to confront this dilemma.

It seemed easy at first - keep the RX8 and I’ll have a smile on my face whichever key I pick up. But there are a few, less obvious considerations:

The Skoda is ridiculously practical, spacious, economical, very easy to drive and has been taking car park damage cheerfully for years. It’s the everyday driver. My older daughter can only drive an auto. My 15 year-old has expressed interest in learning manual but there’s a power to weight limitation on provisional drivers so she wouldn’t be able to drive the RX8 when she’s licensed anyway. I get some sort of vague anxiety about either of them driving the Grenadier. I get even more anxiety imagining it in a car park (maybe I can mount pool noodles to the utility strips…). Do these mean keep the Skoda?

I would appreciate any advice forum members might have.🤔

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Whichever of the 2 can take the most abuse and neglect at the lowest cost to you.
Take it from me , most kids aren't interested in cars other than a means to escape parents.
And do not ever lend them new expensive cars.

Xrford

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
If you make the decision with your head you let go the rx8; if you make it with your heart you let go the skoda. Assuming you put on all the km for each vehicle the empirical data already tells you which vehicle has been used more and thus which one you should keep.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Whichever of the 2 can take the most abuse and neglect at the lowest cost to you.
Take it from me , most kids aren't interested in cars other than a means to escape parents.
And do not ever lend them new expensive cars.
Ouch….sounds like some painful experience in those words.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I would ask this question.

Ignoring the needs of your children (who could be well serviced by purchasing a good second hand corolla), which of the two would you regret selling the most in 3 years time. I’m guessing the mazda so keep that.

The alternative would be to put the skoda in the driveway or on the street for daily driver use / kids use and keep all three.

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is a bit tangential to the “What’s everyone driving…?” thread so I started another to ask for some well considered and balanced advice? I have a two car garage currently occupied by a 2010 120,000km auto diesel Skoda Superb wagon and a 2007 44,000km manual RX8. Which one should go to make space for the Grenadier? As mine could arrive any time in the next 1 - 36 months, I need to confront this dilemma.

It seemed easy at first - keep the RX8 and I’ll have a smile on my face whichever key I pick up. But there are a few, less obvious considerations:

The Skoda is ridiculously practical, spacious, economical, very easy to drive and has been taking car park damage cheerfully for years. It’s the everyday driver. My older daughter can only drive an auto. My 15 year-old has expressed interest in learning manual but there’s a power to weight limitation on provisional drivers so she wouldn’t be able to drive the RX8 when she’s licensed anyway. I get some sort of vague anxiety about either of them driving the Grenadier. I get even more anxiety imagining it in a car park (maybe I can mount pool noodles to the utility strips…). Do these mean keep the Skoda?

I would appreciate any advice forum members might have.🤔
If it was me - not a hard decision - goodbye you Superb car (either out of me life or out on the street)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Ouch….sounds like some painful experience in those words.
All my boys are responsible drivers , couple of minor dings caused by others.
But what I do know is that if they aren't paying for maintenance, rego , insurance - it just gets driven.
Unless the child has paid for and owns the car , it is dad and mum's responsibility, because it's their car. "Otherwise he/she has to drive me places"
- to be fair we live in the bush , nowhere near a bus service...

Farglebah

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All my boys are responsible drivers , couple of minor dings caused by others.
But what I do know is that if they aren't paying for maintenance, rego , insurance - it just gets driven.
Unless the child has paid for and owns the car , it is dad and mum's responsibility, because it's their car. "Otherwise he/she has to drive me places"
- to be fair we live in the bush , nowhere near a bus service...
Yep I’m very much a first car, buying It and keeping it on the road, is a rite of passage. Older girl rarely drives because we are very well served by public transport. But, younger goes to school about 16km away and gets driven when trombone, and 10kg school bag are just a little much for the train. I’ll be happy to provide a car for her to drive herself to band at 6:00am.😊

Farglebah

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If it was me - not a hard decision - goodbye you Superb car (either out of me life or out on the street)
This street idea has thrown me a curve ball…We are in a fairly dense area so getting a space can be tricky but maybe doable. 🤔

Farglebah

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you make the decision with your head you let go the rx8; if you make it with your heart you let go the skoda. Assuming you put on all the km for each vehicle the empirical data already tells you which vehicle has been used more and thus which one you should keep.
I think this is the crux of my dilemma. Grenadier is a mix of head and heart for me. Head sealed it with the realisation that the 4wd used car market in Australia and the early orderer pricing means there’s almost no financial risk.

Farglebah

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you able to build a carport off the street?... ;)
Garage actually is a bit of a euphemism. It really is a carport just off the street. That’s probably going to cost me at insurance time for the Grenadier.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:41 PM
Reaction score
I would keep the Superb. It's an absolutely boring car, I know. But it gets the job done, has a proven engine, no hassles with spares, and less drama with scratches and dents.

For the kids, the RX8 might be too sporty and it's a special car with a character that probably won't sit well with kids.

Back
Top Bottom