The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

where to put the radio?

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:31 AM
Reaction score
Pretty sure no DIN slots anywhere and the panels are not modular as they appear to be. So far I haven’t seen anyone post an installation. I will be looking for a spot behind the dash to locate a remote unit and put a jack for a remote microphone with integrated speaker somewhere to plug it in. Will be looking for a grommet in the firewall to pass an aerial cable through to the front and mount on the roo bar.

Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
My son has an Isuzu Dmax and has just had a GME XRS 370 put in it. The installer mounted the unit behind the glovebox and the only thing you see is the all in one handset / speaker near the center console. The aerial is mounted on a mount that slips out of the engine bay between the bonnet and wing near the window screen.
Don't know if this is possible on the Grenadier but may be worth consideration if you don't have a bullbar. Why put the aerial on the roof and make it higher besides the UHF aerial is pretty substantial for the roof.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:31 PM
Reaction score
No vehicle to work with yet here in the U.S., but I am imagining a Garmin MXT275 (15 watt) UHF (GMRS) transceiver set up as follows:
1. Radio Body (which includes its own speaker) mounted under passenger seat
2. Power from cigarette lighter (power point) to matching plug included with radio.
3. Speaker/Microphone (yes, a second speaker) placed somewhere convenient to driver’s seat.
4. Antenna (of the ‘no ground plane required’ type?) attached to rain gutter or rooftop grab bars.
5. Antenna cable routing: No idea yet!

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
My Jimny has really limited Space. I had to put the radio inside the gloves box. Wish to find a better place in the Grenadier.
PXL_20230507_132618697.jpg
I wonder how cables for the electric ports on the roof are wired through the roof.
Has anyone a closeup of those?

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not radio savvy, but have 2 baofeng handhelds (I haven't really figured out how to program and operate them yet). But I've been looking at the Midland website a few times recently. They're always offering a bundle deal on basically everything you need in one box on their mobile radios. I'm just not certain if I need one or which one.

I've already decided on a WeBoost cell booster - probably their Overland package. I have used a lesser model for a few years in my work truck and it helped in areas with reduced or what one would otherwise perceive as no cell coverage.

Very interested in those who have their Grens already and what you come up with.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'm not radio savvy, but have 2 baofeng handhelds (I haven't really figured out how to program and operate them yet). But I've been looking at the Midland website a few times recently. They're always offering a bundle deal on basically everything you need in one box on their mobile radios. I'm just not certain if I need one or which one.

I've already decided on a WeBoost cell booster - probably their Overland package. I have used a lesser model for a few years in my work truck and it helped in areas with reduced or what one would otherwise perceive as no cell coverage.

Very interested in those who have their Grens already and what you come up with.
If you do need a mobile GMRS (UHF) Radio, the Midland MXT275 is about as close to a ‘plug and play’ installation as I can think of.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My son has an Isuzu Dmax and has just had a GME XRS 370 put in it. The installer mounted the unit behind the glovebox and the only thing you see is the all in one handset / speaker near the center console. The aerial is mounted on a mount that slips out of the engine bay between the bonnet and wing near the window screen.
Don't know if this is possible on the Grenadier but may be worth consideration if you don't have a bullbar. Why put the aerial on the roof and make it higher besides the UHF aerial is pretty substantial for the roof.
Same model as I have and will fit

Wayneos

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My Jimny has really limited Space. I had to put the radio inside the gloves box. Wish to find a better place in the Grenadier.
View attachment 7816639
I wonder how cables for the electric ports on the roof are wired through the roof.
Has anyone a closeup of those?
By all accounts you couldn’t put that radio in the Grenadier glovebox anyway!

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
By all accounts you couldn’t put that radio in the Grenadier glovebox anyway!
Plenty of room under the seat as well. Personally depending on room mine will be in behind the switch panel

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Plenty of room under the seat as well. Personally depending on room mine will be in behind the switch panel
Is there any ventilation behind the switch panel?

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
are there photos of what's behind the switch panel somewhere floating around?
There have been some photos of the front panel removed, but there is another metal panel with switches set into it behind from memory

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:31 PM
Reaction score
IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2318.jpg

Radios tucked behind the seats in a 2-seater. IC7000 and a FTM400. Front mounted on a LIDO L-Max mount

Back
Top Bottom