The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wheels and Tires

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score

17" ALLOY WHEEL WITH BRIDGESTONE ALL TERRAIN TYRE (265/70R17 XL 116S)

17" STEEL WHEEL WITH BFGOODRICH ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2 TYRE (LT265/70R17 121/118S)

17" STEEL WHEEL WITH BRIDGESTONE ALL TERRAIN TYRE (265/70R17 XL 116S)

18" ALLOY WHEEL WITH BRIDGESTONE ALL TERRAIN TYRE (255/70R18 XL 116S)

18" STEEL WHEEL WITH BFGOODRICH ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2 TYRE (LT255/70R18 117/114S)

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
RE: Steel Wheels, what are the trade offs between the 17” vs. 18” steel wheels?

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
Ovrland said:
RE: Steel Wheels, what are the trade offs between the 17” vs. 18” steel wheels?
Larger wheels allow for stiffer suspension  (& harsher ride) as the sidewall flexes less.. For a serious offroader , you don't want that.And 18' tyres aren't readily available if you travel remotely and find you run out of spares.As will oil choices , you'll discover lots of opinions! All depends upon usage , terrain, country etc .

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
3:59 PM
Reaction score
As stated above, 17s offer much better selection of tyres, better handling offroad, and less sidewall damage potential. Also, steel wheels are heavy, so surely the bigger the wheel the more weight! 

Red pepper

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:59 AM
Reaction score
Actually it could be really interesting to see the weight comparison of the all wheels /tires options 

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
Reaction score
Just looking at the configurator today and there was a glitch in the matrix.

Ok so its not much but its the first time I've seen one with the front wheels off. Also if you select the winch option you can clearly see that as well.

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
Markets differ geographically, and there are regional preferences that can have to do with culture, climate, local terrain, and local laws about lift-height, etc. I'm a little concerned that folks in design at Ineos are too influenced by the European market, and don't seem fully aware of market-preferences here in North America. I'm really hoping that the Grenadier finds a market-niche here in North America, but I worry that the tire-size will limit its appeal in its likely market-niche. My take on the North American market:

(1) Sport off-roading / lifestyle vehicles: Jeep Wrangler and Ford Bronco stand out in this category. Upper trims in these models come standard with 33-inch tires, and both offer a premium off-road trim with 35-inch tires from the factory. If you order the 35-inch tires, you get some important features: (a) appropriate gearing from the factory for the tire size (this is costly in the after-market, time-consuming, and may void your warranty), (b) guaranteed fitment with no-rubbing, (c) a full-size spare. The Grenadier is at a big disadvantage competing in this space - essentially offering only a 31 (almost 32) inch tire (265/70/R17, or 255/70/R18). Serious off-roaders (or people who like the look of big tires) will likely gravitate to Jeep or Ford, unless they are looking to spend a lot of money blazing a new trail with an after-market lift and larger tires on the Grenadier (a brand new vehicle with which the after-market has no experience). The Toyota 4-Runner is also in the sport off-roading / lifestyle niche, but it is much more of a "lifestyle" vehicle, or "all-arounder" than the Wrangler and Bronco, with better on-road comfort (better handling, less road-noise, more comfortable for long road-trip, etc.) but less able to compete in technical off-roading, especially rock crawling. A down-side to vehicles in this niche is their low payload, and low towing capacity - which is where the Grenadier has these vehicles thoroughly trounced.

(2) The Daily Driver / All-Wheel Drive Vehicle: this is a huge category, with a huge range of capability and price: Toyota Rav 4, Subaru Forester, offerings from BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Landrover, Range Rover, etc. Folks who want an affordable all-wheel drive fall into one end of this category, and folks who want performance and/or luxury all-wheel drive fall into the other end. The Grenadier doesn't fit any where in this category, except for those who want its cool appearance, and are willing to give up on-road handling (car-like driving), in exchange for a vehicle that looks different than their neighbor's X5 or LR4. I think the Grenadier will run into the same problem as the Landcruiser 200-series in the U.S. - most people won't understand its advantages (durability, reliability, solid construction, etc.), and will instead see its shortcomings when compared to similarly priced sportier SUVs.

(3) The Work Vehicle: we don't really have mid-size work vehicles in the U.S. - especially not SUVs. Work vehicles in the U.S. tend to be full-size pickups (F150 / 1500), or more likely, heavy-duty pickups (F250 / 2500, F350 / 3500). These are big trucks with little in common with the Grenadier. The Ford Ranger is a mid-size pickup, and has better payload and towing numbers than most other mid-size pickups (sort of a mid-size work vehicle). Some folk will definitely cross-shop the Grenadier with mid-size pickups, but I don't really see the Grenadier in the "work" niche in the U.S.

(4) Overlanding / lifestyle vehicle: this is where the Grenadier best fits. Strong and durable construction, excellent payload and towing for its size (probably class-leading in both categories for a mid-size SUV), and a true four-wheel drive system (two-speed transfer case, locking diffs). Anyone who truly wants a mid-size overland vehicle will recognize the Grenadier as the best option, I'm just not sure how big that market is. We've got the Wrangler and Bronco crossing over into the light-duty end of this market, and big trucks from Ram and Ford on the heavy-duty end of the market.

That was really long-winded, and this is a thread on wheels & tires, so I'll boil it down to this: I'm a little concerned that the limited tire-sizes from the factory will limit the appeal of the Grenadier, and I really want this vehicle to succeed!

MarksGrenadier

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
I think if they just change the configurator a little and separate the tire choice from the rims it will open up many more combinations matching the way you want to set up your vehicle for its intended use.  Furthermore I agree with weekend warrior that in the US market a 35" tire and wheel options would be great.  There have been a few pictures floating around on FB lately with one setup that way and it looks good.  I assume they fit properly without rubbing.  Seems to me that more options here open the vehicle up to more buyers and its very easy to slap on the right combo at the factory.  

The other option is to buy the cheapest stock wheels that don't add cost and then buy an aftermarket set of tires and rims, then its customized the way you want it.  Is this a standard bolt pattern / offset rim?

Local time
Reaction score
I agree that they don't understand the North American market, nor have they fully fleshed out, who their target market is...With the (very regrettable) decision, not to bring the Diesel version to North America, it would seem to me, that they're content with targeting the 'Soccer Mom' set, i.e those folks that have the $$$ to purchase highly capable  off-road ready vehicles, like the Mercedes G-Wagon and the 'new' LR Defender, but are content with driving them to the outlet mall and the odd ski hill!

Local time
10:59 AM
Reaction score
The BMW diesel offered is not USA emissions compliant or BMW has not gone through the process of getting it compliant with USA regulations. 

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'll be ordering the 17" alloys with the Bridgestone  'dueler' A/T. The reasons are mainly weight and tyre availability and trying to reduce the unsprung mass.
What I haven't been able to determine is whether the rim of the "spare" will be steel even if one opts for alloy....

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Denis-

have you been able to find out the weights of the respective 17" steel & alloy wheels?

cheers

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the exact spec for the grenadier wheel is? I think I read somewhere that they have a 6x130 PCD, but it would be useful to know what width and offset the standard wheels are (my guess is they're 17"x 8" and 18"x 8").

It looks like 6x130 is the same fitment as Mercedes Sprinter vans and VW transporter/Caravelle vans and not much else in the UK, so it's unlikely there'll be much choice in aftermarket wheels to begin with.

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The choice of 6x130 PCD puzzles me, it is what it is but it really restricts the choice of aftermarket wheels.  Is there something I am missing?

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
One easy addition Ineos could add to the list of options would be white painted steel wheels alongside the current black rims. Anyone speccing a contrast white roof would probably appreciate this option as it'll give it the authentic 'County Station Wagon' look. To illustrate, here's a config just begging for white rims:

G-Man

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Shopkeep said:
The choice of 6x130 PCD puzzles me, it is what it is but it really restricts the choice of aftermarket wheels.  Is there something I am missing?

Looks like Black Rhino offer quite a few 'Light Truck' rims at 17"/18" diameter with a 6x130 bolt pattern. Unlikely to be stocked in Europe though (yet).

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I would also value an option to have steel wheels painted to match the body color (especially with the lighter color choices).

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ovrland said:
I would also value an option to have steel wheels painted to match the body color (especially with the lighter color choices).

Easy DIY  fix! A spray coat of etch primer followed by 3 coats of high temp epoxy gloss the colour of your choice. (pressure pack cans are ideal! I've done this a couple of times. The spray epoxy provides an especially tough coating when allowed to cure for several days in warm weather (25+ deg C).  Suspending the wheel on a wire attached to a circular disc through the centre of the wheel with tyres masked with newspaper and masking tape. Remove the rim weights marking their position on the tyre before masking it. Spinning the wheel on the wire while spraying yields an excellent even coverage!?? (learned this from a now retired professional restorer of vintage cars!)

Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
It would have been very useful for the stock tires to have been 33" for Australia. Many tracks in Australia are beaten up by 35" tires and 33" would be a minimum to "survive". It would also mean that upgrading to something bigger (like 35) would be legal and more likely to fit the car's set up.

stickshifter

Reservation Holder
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=Robbedoes userid=9001358 postid=1332765503]It would have been very useful for the stock tires to have been 33" for Australia. Many tracks in Australia are beaten up by 35" tires and 33" would be a minimum to "survive". It would also mean that upgrading to something bigger (like 35) would be legal and more likely to fit the car's set up.[/QUOTE]

Preach.

Back
Top Bottom