The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel What to do after running out of diesel?

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:31 AM
Reaction score
Let's assume the engine has stopped. Tank is dry. Not a drop of diesel left inside. (Although the fuel gauge told you something else.) Had happen to me before. Thanks i always carry a spare canister with me.
What is the correct procedure on the Grenadier after running out of diesel?
1) looking stupid
2) refuelling with your good old spare canister
3) and then? Do i have to vent the engine somehow?

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
Its not a good Idea to run out as it can damage the fuel pump. However if you do the system should re-prime itself, just turn the ignition on to get the pump going wait maybe 20 seconds and then start..

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
You are right! I is not a good idea indeed. From my previous experience I would even go so far to say it is not an idea at all. It just happened without prior envisioning. ;) Thanks for your answer. Will try to avoid it anyhow.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:31 AM
Reaction score
Its not a good Idea to run out as it can damage the fuel pump. However if you do the system should re-prime itself, just turn the ignition on to get the pump going wait maybe 20 seconds and then start..
I had a sales rep a few years ago that complained to everyone in an email that he hated the new diesel company car he had been given.
On a drive from Adelaide to Whyalla he ran out of fuel.
It is a total distance of 384 kms each way, so on a full tank he should have easily made it there and back
He should have a range of about 950 kms from a tank.

Roadside assistance didn't have any diesel to give him so that put it on a flatbed and took it back to Adelaide.
Apparently it wouldn't self prime for some reason.
He complained that if it was petrol roadside assistance would have given him enough fuel to get to the nearest station and then he could have just filled up.

Before I could contact him he started getting replies to his email from other employees asking him why he hadn't filled up before leaving on his trip.
No comment from me required.................until his next review.

1696888844178.png1696888872013.png

Local time
Reaction score
However if you do the system should re-prime itself, just turn the ignition on to get the pump going wait maybe 20 seconds and then start..
Are you sure about this? I only have experience on Land Rovers but none of the common rail diesels are that easy ... according to my experiece only the older 200Tdi and 300Tdi are.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have a couple of common rail tractors, I have run out of diesel in one of them, and with the other I have had fuel starvation/ filter issues, in both cases they re-prime themselves effectively. I think most systems have two pumps, a low pressure lift pump to get the fuel out of the tank and a high pressure system which feeds the common rail.
I could be wrong about this so maybe someone else knows better.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Are you sure about this? I only have experience on Land Rovers but none of the common rail diesels are that easy ... according to my experiece only the older 200Tdi and 300Tdi are.
I have run out of diesel in my Td5 a couple of times. Fortunately, no issues restarting. That said I am of the view, where possible, don’t go below a quarter tank.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Correct. Just fill the tank with what you have from diesel, put the ignition on, wait a bit and start. He should start after a few times without any problem. Then, drive to the nearest gasstation and fill up that thank completely. And try to avoid this in the future!

Back
Top Bottom