The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Americas Washing the Grenadier

MTNDOG

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:53 AM
Reaction score
Every car forum I’ve been apart of has a similar thread about ‘How do you wash your car?’ New Defender, Alfa 4C, if you want to see some really some in depth dissertations backed up by some post doctorate double-blinded thesis research head over to the Porsche forums.

With that being said, I’ve gone down the rabbit hole of car detailing and washing. Pressure washer with foam gun attachment. Separate rinse bucket for my microfiber scrub brush, and an electric blower to dry the car off followed by a quick spritz with a quick detail spray. Sounds like overkill but it’s actually pretty efficient and I enjoy it. My wife is normally so excited about her clean car she’s celebrate by driving through the biggest puddle she can find within 24 hours….
I just guarantee that it will rain or we will get a dust storm off the Palouse in 24 hours.

Lord Ripon USA

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
5:53 AM
Reaction score
Wshing your car is a survival tactic in Michigan.
I work in the industry. I have installed innumerable surface prepping systems, and paint booths.

10 years, no rust through, should be no problem at all if they made any effort to get the panels to drain. That means if the drain holes aren’t plugged by wax during manufacturing.

Sitting on a damp stone driveway with salt spray on the bottom of your car, is as close to an accelerated corrosion chamber as I can think of.
I can’t think of a practical way to address this unless you go to a car wash.

i’m certainly not going to put the vehicle up on ramps, lay on my back in February, and attempt to power wash the underside of a brand new car.

Our roads are sprayed with a brine mixture during every winter event.
Driving 80mph blows salt into every nook and cranny of the vehicle.
Automated car washes spray wash the bottom of the car to remove the salt due to the brine.
They work even when it’s below freezing, because the rinse water is heated.

I can’t imagine a vehicle that can’t be popped into neutral and rolled by the conveyor through a car wash. It would be no different than free rolling down a hill. Or running out of gas and attempting to coast along the side of the road.

Jack123

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I enjoy washing my cars. I still wash my children's cars. Few occasion I used car wash maybe because it got too cold outside. Otherwise, I wash them every time. :)

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
I enjoy washing my cars. I still wash my children's cars. Few occasion I used car wash maybe because it got too cold outside. Otherwise, I wash them every time. :)
I would never use a car wash in the UK. The thought of the recycled water worries me with suspected solids carry over. Spent all my working life in the water and waste water industry so only me washes my vehicles.

Jack123

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I would never use a car wash in the UK. The thought of the recycled water worries me with suspected solids carry over. Spent all my working life in the water and waste water industry so only me washes my vehicles.

That's exactly one of the main reasons why I don't go to car wash. I also don't like that they keep using the same rags from car to car...

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:53 AM
Reaction score
I bought one of these steps on Timu (careful or you'll end up buying a lot more stuff than you need or bargained for) and it works a treat for getting easily up to roof level for washing. Mine's a nice yellow one. In fact I bought two, really handy.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
The only person who washes my cars is me, I wouldn’t entertain any car wash site (in the UK). A car detailer yes, but not even a hand car wash…when was the last time they rinsed the mitt ?? Scratches aplenty me thinks.

Like Andiamo, I am also a bit of an amateur car detailer and will spend a few hours cleaning my vehicles. I find it quite relaxing and satisfying.

I use a jet wash with a foam gun on the whole car including the underneath and wheel arches. Keeps that dreaded salt away.

For you guys who live in the areas where salt/brine solution is used why don’t you treat the underside of your vehicles.

Something like Lanoguard is perfect for covering everything and isn’t a think sticky gloopy mess that hides rust. It’s pretty easy to apply with a hand spray and takes about an hour, apply a new coat every 12 months !!

Jack123

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
The only person who washes my cars is me, I wouldn’t entertain any car wash site (in the UK). A car detailer yes, but not even a hand car wash…when was the last time they rinsed the mitt ?? Scratches aplenty me thinks.

Like Andiamo, I am also a bit of an amateur car detailer and will spend a few hours cleaning my vehicles. I find it quite relaxing and satisfying.

I use a jet wash with a foam gun on the whole car including the underneath and wheel arches. Keeps that dreaded salt away.

For you guys who live in the areas where salt/brine solution is used why don’t you treat the underside of your vehicles.

Something like Lanoguard is perfect for covering everything and isn’t a think sticky gloopy mess that hides rust. It’s pretty easy to apply with a hand spray and takes about an hour, apply a new coat every 12 months !!

Right on Shaky! I'm with you. I find it's like therapy for me - both physical and mental... :)

4x4Brick #1561

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
4:53 AM
Reaction score
It's spring time in Texas and there is oak and pine pollen everywhere. And on my dark Sela Green the light green pollen really stands out. Couldn't stand it so I threw caution to the wind and went through a local Mr. Carwash automatic wash. No issues. Lined up the wheels in the tire tray, shifted to neutral, watched all the side, top, and windshield brushes go by as I was pulled along. A lot of water was still dripping down the windshield even after the dry. But I have a snorkel and a full length roof rack so lots of things to hold water. Did a quick run around and didn't see any scratches or issues.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I use an app called EverWash at a local car wash that’s called pro clean I think. It’s under 30 bucks a month for as many washes as you want. I don’t have my grenadier yet, but my car is the oldest so it is third man out of our two car garage. That way I can get a quick wash and do it more often. It’s a touchless one and it does an OK job. It does have the undercarriage cleaning, and an acceptable blow dry at the end.

Back
Top Bottom