The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Viewing the infotainment screen

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
2:47 AM
Reaction score
Two viewing problems I seem to be having...

1. Ambient light level recognition. On daylight engine starts I get auto headlamps on and a dark illegible screen. It settles after less than a minute. Liveable with...
BUT starting the engine in the dark (first time last night, as it's "summertime" - OK the headlights came on but the screen was so bright I had to turn off the whole display (LONG press on the Mute button). Fortunately I didn't need the map.

2. Screen viewing angle. I have noticed that the map definition is better if I view it not from my natural driving position but with my head 8 to 12 inches (200 to 300mm) to my left (RHD vehicle). Is the screen viewing angle too central, or is it biased to the left hand side? I must be honest and say I haven't checked yet. At least one iteration of the Range Rover series had a screen with left-right-pan viewing angle adjustable. Any chance here??

In passing I mention that I do not listen to "infotainment" when driving (not with the lovely sounds the car makes!) and find it a little sad that"toons" seem to be the driving force of the system BUT (again) when I have tried to investigate the DAB/FM/AM I found it extremely non-intuitive (is that because I am 75 and not 25?). One day I hope to locate BBC Radio 4 on DAB.......

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

1. Ambient light level recognition. On daylight engine starts I get auto headlamps on and a dark illegible screen. It settles after less than a minute. Liveable with...
BUT starting the engine in the dark (first time last night, as it's "summertime" - OK the headlights came on but the screen was so bright I had to turn off the whole display (LONG press on the Mute button). Fortunately I didn't need the map.

2. Screen viewing angle. I have noticed that the map definition is better if I view it not from my natural driving position but with my head 8 to 12 inches (200 to 300mm) to my left (RHD vehicle). Is the screen viewing angle too central, or is it biased to the left hand side? I must be honest and say I haven't checked yet. At least one iteration of the Range Rover series had a screen with left-right-pan viewing angle adjustable. Any chance here??

In passing I mention that I do not listen to "infotainment" when driving (not with the lovely sounds the car makes!) and find it a little sad that"toons" seem to be the driving force of the system BUT (again) when I have tried to investigate the DAB/FM/AM I found it extremely non-intuitive (is that because I am 75 and not 25?). One day I hope to locate BBC Radio 4 on DAB.......
1. Do you get the same process when in manual headlight mode, i.e in the 'Off" position rather than 'Auto'?

Good luck with R4

AndrewW

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
1. Do you get the same process when in manual headlight mode, i.e in the 'Off" position rather than 'Auto'?

Good luck with R4
Not tried manual yet - not enough darkness… 🤔

IanG4x4

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I've just got rid of a 10year old GPS/DAB/CD player in my previous Landy and moved to this. An infotainment system which can only store 5 presets (unless I'm missing something!) and you're spot on, it is the most un-intuitive system I have ever came across and I drive different makes of cars regularly around the country. My previous system I had a bank of presets for Scotland and a bank set up for England which meant no farting-on re-scanning where-ever I happened to be. Its the biggest floor in the vehicle, (apart from teething niggles)

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:47 AM
Reaction score
The ergonomics of the centre display are frankly woeful. On a sunny day, ambient light reflections from left hand rear door window greatly diminish the clarity of the screen content.
The operating system of the infotainment screen is clunky. Changing DAB stations takes several seconds... in my Santa Fe and Subaru Impreza, it's instantaneous.
The elevation and bearing windows in the compass binnacle are frankly illegible in daylight irrespective of the brightness setting.
Has anyone else experienced these issues?🤷‍♂️

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The ergonomics of the centre display are frankly woeful. On a sunny day, ambient light reflections from left hand rear door window greatly diminish the clarity of the screen content.
The operating system of the infotainment screen is clunky. Changing DAB stations takes several seconds... in my Santa Fe and Subaru Impreza, it's instantaneous.
The elevation and bearing windows in the compass binnacle are frankly illegible in daylight irrespective of the brightness setting.
I think you will find that most of us would not call the viewing ergonomics ’ideal’. Hopefully the clunkiness of the software can be rectified. Possibly a none reflective film could be applied to the screen and the compass LCD readout can be improved in some way. For me who comes from the old Defender. I can live with a few idiosyncrasies.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:47 PM
Reaction score
. Possibly a none reflective film...
Has anyone added a “screen protector?” Our Outback has a very large screen that controls everything - not a fan btw - it looks fantastic but buttons are way easier. Finding everything through menus is frustrating, annoying and more than anything, dangerous!

That said, I added a very nice tempered glass screen protector that protects the display and does indeed reduce glare. I’m hoping for a similar product for the Gren.

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:47 PM
Reaction score
Any option to change to a light/white background during the day? My current car automatically switches between light and dark background during the day and at night. Improves readability greatly.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone added a “screen protector?” Our Outback has a very large screen that controls everything - not a fan btw - it looks fantastic but buttons are way easier. Finding everything through menus is frustrating, annoying and more than anything, dangerous!

That said, I added a very nice tempered glass screen protector that protects the display and does indeed reduce glare. I’m hoping for a similar product for the Gren.
Ah ha! great idea @Krabby (y) ... a matte finish "contact" covering used for school books might be a worthwhile experiment to reduce the reflected glare

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here I am quoting myself on a forum🫣...
Let me say from the outset that my frustration with the deficiencies of the infotainment screen arises from the fact that these deficiencies are in stark contrast to the quality of the rest of the vehicle which is, not to put too finer point on it : "bloody brilliant"! :love:. (I even 'volunteered' to make a late night trip to the airport which enabled me to explore headlights and driving lights...truly excellent!).
There's not a lot of work getting done on the several houses undergoing periodic rennovation in our small street ...the tradie talk is all about the Grenadier😂 I overheard "...It belongs to the old bloke in overalls over there on the ladder!" ...

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Here I am quoting myself on a forum🫣...
Let me say from the outset that my frustration with the deficiencies of the infotainment screen arises from the fact that these deficiencies are in stark contrast to the quality of the rest of the vehicle which is, not to put too finer point on it : "bloody brilliant"! :love:. (I even 'volunteered' to make a late night trip to the airport which enabled me to explore headlights and driving lights...truly excellent!).
There's not a lot of work getting done on the several houses undergoing periodic rennovation in our small street ...the tradie talk is all about the Grenadier😂 I overheard "...It belongs to the old bloke in overalls over there on the ladder!" ...
A bit like our own kids. We can criticise them but no one else can. 😁

Back
Top Bottom