The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Under Seat Radio Mount?

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:58 PM
Reaction score
I have ordered a Trialmaster with non-heated seats and plan to install the ‘body’ of a small UHF Radio (with built-in speaker) under the front passenger seat. The bracket for the radio is approximately 4.5 x 3.0 inches (about 11.5 x 7.5 cm). Can anyone give me an idea of what the structure is like under the seat for the purpose of attaching this bracket, or would I be better off to fix it to the seat rails?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
It is night here, but I have some "old pictures" that could help:
20230303_154002.jpg20230303_154036.jpg
But the space under the seat is at least 21 cm wide by 33 cm deep and 11 cm high.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:58 PM
Reaction score
I wouldn’t put it under the seat as it goes against the philosophy of having nothing electrically vulnerable down there. I put mine under the glovebox behind the plastic trim like John Canny did in his YouTube videos and its excellent there.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
7:58 PM
Reaction score
I wouldn’t put it under the seat as it goes against the philosophy of having nothing electrically vulnerable down there. I put mine under the glovebox behind the plastic trim like John Canny did in his YouTube videos and its excellent there.
OK, but did you see the orange electrical connector and all those wires in the under-seat photo that Jean Mercier kindly provided earlier in this thread? (I would hope to mount my radio high up under the seat, with speaker firing down, well above any ‘high water’ level).

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:58 PM
Reaction score
OK, but did you see the orange electrical connector and all those wires in the under-seat photo that Jean Mercier kindly provided earlier in this thread? (I would hope to mount my radio high up under the seat, with speaker firing down, well above any ‘high water’ level).
Yes there is a seat belt sensor which is high up and if you specify heated seats there is wiring high up for that, but I believe wading mode disables those. I prefer the units with the speaker in the microphone and the box hidden high under the dash somewhere with an RJ plug for the handset.

Back
Top Bottom