The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Transfer Box Lever

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:39 AM
Reaction score
yeah. The old G wagens have High-Neutral-Low but i suspect that's because of the 40 year old design of the transfer case

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:39 PM
Reaction score
Presumably there is a neutral position between witch should not be used

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:39 AM
Reaction score
Yes. Maybe I will ahve to start carrying my keys in my left hand pocket instead of my right.
Then I will have to get them out with my left hand and voila
I haven’t taken my keys out of my pocket near the 200 series for over 10 years. Auto sensing and Auto start is actually pretty handy and I’ll miss that. Actually having to use a key again will be weird, and until I’m used to it again, probably a pain in the ….

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I haven’t taken my keys out of my pocket near the 200 series for over 10 years. Auto sensing and Auto start is actually pretty handy and I’ll miss that. Actually having to use a key again will be weird, and until I’m used to it again, probably a pain in the ….
My wife has a mini and when she goes to the beach she puts the key in a lock box as she has for many years with many cars.
Until I showed her that provided the key is within 1.5-2 metres of the drivers seat you can open the door and start the car .
Happily drive forever with the key in the lock box.
Conversely in my car you need to physically put the key in the ignition and turn it
It is so annoying, time consuming and tiring to put my key in the ignition and turn it but I have learnt to live with it.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
ha. I turned off the keyless entry on the D4, I can just about manage to push the button and open the door.

thieves in these parts scan for your keys while in your house (if not in a faraday type blocker) gain access to your car in seconds and drive off! All the while your car thinks the keys are in it.

scrotes!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
ha. I turned off the keyless entry on the D4, I can just about manage to push the button and open the door.

thieves in these parts scan for your keys while in your house (if not in a faraday type blocker) gain access to your car in seconds and drive off! All the while your car thinks the keys are in it.

scrotes!
Insurance companies in Australia report that 70% of all car thefts are done using the vehicles own keys.
Second highest is when the thieves scan the keys through the closed door hanging on a hook or on a cupboard and then capture the code.

RoadBuilder

Reservation Holder
Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
After all the comments on changing from high to low and engaging these on the move in the old Defender I thought I would do some research
Some snips taken from the old Defender 90 manual and posted in 2005
It would appear lots of options are physically possible in the old Defender but not necessarily recommended
I noticed the Defender transfer lever has Neutral position between L & H so you are never going directly between the two.
It also mentions speed limits and depressing the clutch pedal.
Hard to do in the Grenadier
I am pretty sure I recall our Austrian friend changing from low to high while doing about 60kmh (estimated) in Budapest???

1680113790784.png
1680113820686.png
1680113848447.png

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
After all the comments on changing from high to low and engaging these on the move in the old Defender I thought I would do some research
Some snips taken from the old Defender 90 manual and posted in 2005
It would appear lots of options are physically possible in the old Defender but not necessarily recommended
I noticed the Defender transfer lever has Neutral position between L & H so you are never going directly between the two.
It also mentions speed limits and depressing the clutch pedal.
Hard to do in the Grenadier
I am pretty sure I recall our Austrian friend changing from low to high while doing about 60kmh (estimated) in Budapest???

View attachment 7807248
View attachment 7807249
View attachment 7807250
Dave for me it’s never been a requirement to go from high to low or low to high on the move. In the numerous 4wds I’ve had that’s never been required and always been done static (or almost).

The previous argument has been the capacity to engage the centre diff lock (in high range) whilst driving. Every 4wd I’ve had has this capacity (Toyota up to around 100km/hr), whether via a stick or push button, and not to have that capability would be a major flaw.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:39 PM
Reaction score
Dave for me it’s never been a requirement to go from high to low or low to high on the move. In the numerous 4wds I’ve had that’s never been required and always been done static (or almost).
High to low is difficult to achieve simply because of the gearing; but low to high is reasonable when towing, especially when you've stopped on an uphill and need to start off again.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

The previous argument has been the capacity to engage the centre diff lock (in high range) whilst driving. Every 4wd I’ve had has this capacity (Toyota up to around 100km/hr), whether via a stick or push button, and not to have that capability would be a major flaw.
Yes I remember you made that clear much earlier.
I could be wrong on part/all of the following as I am not a diff expert
I believe this is possible on a Torsen style centre diff as used in lots of vehicles and in our popular dual cab utes that are 2WD on road and locked 4WD off road. They don't usually have 4WD unlocked so need to be able to be locked on the move.
I was surprised to learn that while it is possible to lock and unlock the centre diff in a Defender old series at any speed LR certainly don't recommend doing it unless you are pointing all wheels straight ahead and none of them are slipping.
I sure wouldn't be prepared to take that chance particularly when they state it will cause damage, not may cause damage.

Back
Top Bottom