The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Trackers & Dashcams

AndyF

Production/Transit
Local time
2:52 PM
Reaction score
Called into my local Halfords today who fitted front and rear dashcam to my LR4, (Nextbase 522GW)they can take it out and re-fit in my Grenadier when it hopefully arrives next month, they are confident they can fit the rear dashcam to the back door, feed cable to front dashcam via the existing cable route but are going to check with their central tech team as not done one so far at Chorley branch, will update

Skiprat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
Called into my local Halfords today who fitted front and rear dashcam to my LR4, (Nextbase 522GW)they can take it out and re-fit in my Grenadier when it hopefully arrives next month, they are confident they can fit the rear dashcam to the back door, feed cable to front dashcam via the existing cable route but are going to check with their central tech team as not done one so far at Chorley branch, will update
Hi Andy
I’m currently in the process of trying to fit my rear camera to my Grenadier (Nextbase 622GW). I had RS Connect to fit the cameras at the dealership before I took delivery of the car, but they said that they couldn’t fit the rear one as the cable isn’t long enough. This is true, and I did make them aware beforehand as another poster on this subject had a more resourceful fitter by the looks of it. Anyway, I decided that I would get the job done myself, and I can confirm that the 6m cable (I assume yours will be the same length) is too short. (By about 1.5m)
I routed the cable across the top of the front windscreen, down the A pillar and along the RHS floor, zip-tied to the loom that runs front to back, over the rear wheel arch and into the void in the rear right corner - then it needs to be fed through the concertina grommet into the rear right door. That’s where I am at the moment, so I’m looking at these forums for the trick to thread the wire through. I have purchased another rear camera cable from Nextbase (about £30) and I intend to cut it to suitable length and solder a jack socket to be able to join it to the existing cable. Looks like a 2.5mm 4 pole - I’m waiting for the jack socket to be delivered and I’ll continue with the job.
Cheers

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:52 PM
Reaction score
Hi Andy
I’m currently in the process of trying to fit my rear camera to my Grenadier (Nextbase 622GW). I had RS Connect to fit the cameras at the dealership before I took delivery of the car, but they said that they couldn’t fit the rear one as the cable isn’t long enough. This is true, and I did make them aware beforehand as another poster on this subject had a more resourceful fitter by the looks of it. Anyway, I decided that I would get the job done myself, and I can confirm that the 6m cable (I assume yours will be the same length) is too short. (By about 1.5m)
I routed the cable across the top of the front windscreen, down the A pillar and along the RHS floor, zip-tied to the loom that runs front to back, over the rear wheel arch and into the void in the rear right corner - then it needs to be fed through the concertina grommet into the rear right door. That’s where I am at the moment, so I’m looking at these forums for the trick to thread the wire through. I have purchased another rear camera cable from Nextbase (about £30) and I intend to cut it to suitable length and solder a jack socket to be able to join it to the existing cable. Looks like a 2.5mm 4 pole - I’m waiting for the jack socket to be delivered and I’ll continue with the job.
Cheers
Rather than cutting the cable and compromising its integrity. Could you not simply coil it and secure it behind the plastic paneling?

Skiprat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:52 AM
Reaction score
Rather than cutting the cable and compromising its integrity. Could you not simply coil it and secure it behind the plastic paneling?
I believe the cable that Nextbase supply is limited to 6m in order to prevent a drop in performance, as it's not a shielded cable - and they don't supply a short extension to reach the back of larger vehicles. So my plan was to get it as short as is practically possible (with a bit of wiggle room) so as not to affect the signal transmission too much. (should be able to effect a decent few solder joints in the jack socket, and if not I'll splice and solder the cables together directly - I used to work in the electronics industry and if there's one thing I can't stand it's sub standard cable joints!! - you see an awful lot of that under the bonnet in cars where accessories have been added)
Update:
Just spent all day finishing off the installation. FWIW the Nextbase cable IS screened - my attempt at using a 2.5mm 4 pole jack plug to connect the extra lead to the existing one didn’t work- I reckon the contacts on the jack plug that I purchased might be in a slightly different position when it is plugged into the socket. Kept getting a message that the “rear camera was not connected“
-Ended up cutting the jack socket off from the cable that runs from the front camera to the rear, and the jack plug from the extra cable that I bought to use as an extension and spliced & soldered them together, making sure that the screening continuity was maintained.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom