The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tracker / SOS functionality

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:33 AM
Reaction score
We have had a small number of cases where a person has crashed off the highway at night, is stuck in their car, hidden by the vegetation, with hundreds of cars going past and nobody finds them for days.
Sometimes when they are found they are dead.
I remember one of a woman and there wee signs she had been eating and drinking what she could reach before she died
jeez. that's a helluva way to go. rip

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
Just to provide some context.... there are cattle stations (ranches) in outback Australia almost the size of Belgium... one of our extended family was employed for several years on one such property where the highway front gate to the homestead was a mere 80km (50miles)! Each Monday morning the mother bundled her 4 kids into the family Cessna 172 for the 2 hr flight to school... she'd then collect them on Friday afternoon.... 5G has even less range than 4G.... HF is the preferred method of comms in many of these places. UHF CB radio is barely feasible..
Just the environment for a Grenadier!

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:33 PM
Reaction score
I hid an apple air tag in my wife's car so I could see where she was when travelling on solated roads.
She received a message from Apple saying it appears you are being tracked, are you aware of this?

If you add your wife to your friends list and/or family icloud subscription she won’t get the notifications. Then again there’d be no need for the tag as she’d show in Find My. Or maybe you were kidding to start off with and I should shut up and be less of a geek.

Local time
Reaction score
More info about the SOS
"
Regarding the question about the SOS system, I may have confused Mark slightly "All new vehicles made after 2018 for EU and UK markets must have an auto SOS system fitted by law, this can't be turned off and will bring up a warning light on the dash on all vehicles. "NO" SOS system can't be deactivated or turned off, however the connected features within this system could be, like live maps, traffic and other data applications" This was in relation to all new vehicles not the Grenadier. The Grenadier has no data applications at all.

Kind regards

Tom"

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just an addendum that may be of interest to those that don't want the system. It seems Toyota are having to recall a batch of vehicles because their pre-delivery service did not activate the function.
Screenshot_20230113_103845.jpg

Pipm4000

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
These all seem very expensive, I hope my insurance doesn’t require one. I understand if the vehicle is parked on street in a town but my home is like Fort Knox.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In the UK, two trackers have been recommended to me:
The first one also has VHF tracking as well as GSM (harder for criminals to block) but the Vodafone includes the first year subscription.
I was going to say the VHF micro delay trackers are a good idea. GSM as back up. There should be a 100Amp pin that stabs in to a thieves back and does them in... what was that movie?

Local time
2:33 PM
Reaction score
I see your point also I am not sharing the whole idea.
Of course new technologies do not reduce the ways of control they will expand them. But in many ways they bring more reliability and safety in our life which we do not want to give up.
This forum is an example as well.
The most important thing is that you are able to switch out everything when you want to.
I am a fan of automatic calls after an accident. This safes life for sure. But I want to have the possibility and allowance to switch it off when I want to do so.
Agree with you, It's great to have access to new technologies that can make our lives safer and more reliable, but at the same time, we also want to have control over how we use them.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
11:33 AM
Reaction score
But I want to have the possibility and allowance to switch it off when I want to do so.
That's the point.

Freedom of Choice! (y)

Phud

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have just had a Scorpion tracker fitted in the UK, all seems to have gone well, apart from the passenger airbag light is out of kilter, it looks like the tracker has confused a few items, TPMS was out but that has sorted itself. Called agent and we spoke about it, I'm happy the sytem has been thrown by the tracker, just need to get the airbag warning cleared. Latest software load, no other bing or bongs.

Airbag system is indicating a fault, however when I toggle it off or on via infotainment system the light is the wrong way, so toggle off, light on center console says on, toggle off light says on.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have just had a Scorpion tracker fitted in the UK, all seems to have gone well, apart from the passenger airbag light is out of kilter, it looks like the tracker has confused a few items, TPMS was out but that has sorted itself. Called agent and we spoke about it, I'm happy the sytem has been thrown by the tracker, just need to get the airbag warning cleared. Latest software load, no other bing or bongs.

Airbag system is indicating a fault, however when I toggle it off or on via infotainment system the light is the wrong way, so toggle off, light on center console says on, toggle off light says on.
Is your tracker connected to CAN-BUS? Or entirely independet?

Phud

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Is your tracker connected to CAN-BUS? Or entirely independet?
Independent. my thoughts are the new RF from the tracker has upset the system.

I have spoken with fitter and Compass, who both highlight that if there is a low voltage incident, these warnings will appear, so battery diconnected warnings appear.

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Independent. my thoughts are the new RF from the tracker has upset the system
Looks like so. Just made contact with a company that makes trackers that are connected to canbus. Not yet anything there that is certified / tested to work with IG.

Back
Top Bottom