The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Tracker / SOS functionality

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
I don't whist to be tracked at all thank you .
I take it you don’t carry a mobile phone. Even one that is apparently switched off. Sadly, being incognito is no longer possible without great effort and sacrifice.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
I know what you mean.
I actually wear a foil hat now whenever I am disposing of a body
I put my mobiles in a special bag and leave my air tags at home.
Whenever possible I steal a car
I do check-in on Facebook though so all my friends know I am having fun

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
@emax exactly - I was discussing this in my company with boss, team, etc. - fleet monitoring, security. etc. So I challenged the risks of this and was called paranoid etc.
Remember the pandemic situation. Monitoring the people who met Mondays to walk against mandatory vaccination - so using cell phone data, stopping buses with participants etc.
Its shall be my decision when I want to be visible and when not. - Imagine in the future compulsory Mode S transponder like system in any car and if the government considers you go to an unwanted gathering - get your car disabled and social credit reduced. Like in China - getting your covid app on red because you attempted to travel to an unwanted protest action.
As we now get step by step more information about sideeffects.. the protesters on covid 19 vaccination were probably correct.

However the more important factor is proven: A government uses any crisis as a chance to gather more power and implement more restrictions and monitoring capabilities.
As a result of past 24 month anything that I predicted to my teammates and boss has came true . covid apps - tracking of persons etc.

So I assume techniques to stealth vehicles and persons is something that is required. If I want to be visible i should be able to make this and I should be allowed to be unseen and untracked when I want it, I am aware that I will be seen in public area and perhaps tracked by cameras - but I do like to be forced to tell actively where I am. So my mobile phone is either at home or stays in a shielded cover - if I not want to be tracked. And I want to expose my location only to those who I want. That doesn't include the government and its "services"
I hid an apple air tag in my wife's car so I could see where she was when travelling on solated roads.
She received a message from Apple saying it appears you are being tracked, are you aware of this?

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:58 AM
Reaction score
@DaveB yes that is a classic apple function - because the airtags were misused for stalking. And this feature shall not be misused.
This also means - putting an Airtag in an IG as an anti theft device - is useless. A thief if possessing an Iphone would be notified.
So if tracker is in the vehicle it should be something not easy detected to be detected.
The device should also be equipped with an acknowledge function. Means I send my position do you read it. This means if a system is irresponsive because of jamming the device
(Position - whatever) The tracking device should go in an emergency mode sending data and perhaps bring the vehicle safe to halt and disabling it.
I however prefer when parking in public with such a vehicle - a steering wheel lock or something else. In modern times thieves go for the key. / Transponder. . Glad IG has a classic starter key - nothing that can be read out remotely in a simple manner.

Local time
Reaction score
Hi all this for your info from customer services

"I am just emailing with a follow up to your previous questions about the Grenadier. I have now gotten more clarity on your inquiries, I hope this will be of help

The SOS function is permanently activated and cant be turned off, it runs off its own independent battery. All new vehicles made for EU and UK markets must have this feature. It uses a GPS system to provide an accurate location for emergency services. There is no subscription fee for this.

The interior light panel can't be dimmed but the main infotainment system can be

The Exterior lights can be switched off completely including the daytime running lights, excluding brake and reverse lights when engaged."

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all this for your info from customer services

"I am just emailing with a follow up to your previous questions about the Grenadier. I have now gotten more clarity on your inquiries, I hope this will be of help

The SOS function is permanently activated and cant be turned off, it runs off its own independent battery. All new vehicles made for EU and UK markets must have this feature. It uses a GPS system to provide an accurate location for emergency services. There is no subscription fee for this.

The interior light panel can't be dimmed but the main infotainment system can be

The Exterior lights can be switched off completely including the daytime running lights, excluding brake and reverse lights when engaged."
Good news!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
Do you think the SOS feature will be for the UK/Euro-spec trucks? Or for what get sent to Australia and the US amongst others?

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:58 AM
Reaction score
Do you think the SOS feature will be for the UK/Euro-spec trucks? Or for what get sent to Australia and the US amongst others?
It will go to everyone. It will be a water down version of onstar

Local time
Reaction score
Im worried the nav system won't work if there is no phone signal also the SOS system won't work without a phone signal.
Can get separate GPS but not bothered about the SOS

Local time
Reaction score
More fron Ineos
"The SOS system runs off of GPS and an imbedded sim so it is able to call out in an emergency. This is same as all other vehicles on the market today. All new vehicles made after 2018 for EU and UK markets must have an auto SOS system fitted by law, this can't be turned off and will bring up a warning light on the dash on all vehicles. The SOS system can't be deactivated or turned off, however the connected features within this system could be, like live maps, traffic and other data applications."

What other Data apps? so the vehicle IS transmitting live data about more than your location why???

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
a buck gets 10 it can be tirned off 😉

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
If it doesn't affect driveability it's being removed and I'll deal with the warning light on the dash!

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@crabby - if you know where it is - need perhaps a sidecutter, a resistor to replace antenna. could be done rather "invisible" to stealth a vehicle. (permanently or temporary)

Most important in some countries - 11th commandment. "Don't get caught"

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We have had a small number of cases where a person has crashed off the highway at night, is stuck in their car, hidden by the vegetation, with hundreds of cars going past and nobody finds them for days.
Sometimes when they are found they are dead.
I remember one of a woman and there wee signs she had been eating and drinking what she could reach before she died

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Case in Scotland, a few years ago:

"A seriously injured woman may have lain undiscovered next to her dead boyfriend in their car for up to three days in central Scotland, after police failed to respond to a report of a motorway crash."

Back
Top Bottom