The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Too many big cars

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:34 AM
Reaction score
  • never got a flu shot either
  • got covid shots because wanted to travel
  • flu or covid, yes or no, I will die anyhow, sooner or later
  • all politicians are human beings, I also get drunk sometimes
  • no wars, more money for useful things, but wars is part of human history
I think we agree on the main things (y)
About politicans.. my dad told me once about the big lads, no matter if its a king, queen, a rich guy or a big CEO.. they all have to sit on the bowl each day - if this guy will tell you something - imagine the person sitting on the bowl in a lavatory.
They all have to do the same procedure.... That helped me not to be impressed by a military officer when I had to do national service or a couple of years ago when I met the CEO from a large automobile maker in Germany.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:34 AM
Reaction score
Too many big cars
Just for the records our day car is a 3008 Peugeot...I thought that the Grenadiers were quite big until I parked beside the 3008...yes it is tall and takes up more air space but the footprint is unbelievably similar and I find it much easier to get into tight spots because I can see each corner of the car virtually...sitting high is the trick for me and I hardly use the footrest because of that as well...happy motoring

My day car at the moment is the Gren..I will soon be sleeping in it.
:cool:

Last edited:

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:34 PM
Reaction score
Guilt is a terrible thing , like driving with the handbrake on whilst worrying about speed cameras.
Just do what your conscience tells you to do, as a grown up.
And don't worry about or react to what others think. There are too many judges on this earth!

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7822449
And it is not the forests that are dying, but the plantations. It is not only the destruction of natural forests that is causing problems, but - especially in Europe - a forestry industry that has gotten completely out of hand.
That photo looks like Bambesch forest in Lux - one of my favourite places

Magical Mystery Tours

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's always more lofty goals that inspire us, but in which we can also quickly get lost.. And of course it's nice to think, plan, care globally and for all people. My life experience has shown me that it is much more effective to engage and think on a small scale. Many small building blocks make a whole.
I get personal when it comes to me, never when it comes to others. I have lived my life and will continue to do so / be able to do so (hopefully), not the lives of others. I keep my stable in order and don't judge others whose lives I have never lived. And I always try to enjoy my freedoms when they don't restrict others.

I think local and global, not national. I was born in Germany, live in Luxembourg, which has become home. One of my daughters lives in the U.S. and so I have two (so far) U.S. grandchildren. I have good friends in Germany, in Luxembourg, in Belgium, in France, the Netherlands, Austria, the U.S., etc. And probably some I don't even know yet. And therefore I can do nothing with the national crap. Who calls today: "My nation first!" is already on the way down. Simply said: Where would the Grenadier be today if they had tried to develop it exclusively on a national scale?

Yes, and as for vaccinating.... I have always chosen to be vaccinated when I can understand the reason. I have never had to be forced, nor have I considered refusing because I might have been forced to do so. My vaccination book is full because I travel all over the world. And I have seen diseases that are really disgusting and that nobody needs. Anyone who has seen a terminal thetanus disease, for example, like I have, immediately runs to get vaccinated. You won't to die like that - you really don't. Maybe the decision is easier for me because I have medical qualifications.

• all politicians are human beings, I also get drunk sometimes
Me too - preferably with friends 🙂

I like to quote the third german president Gutav Heineman: "He who points to others with his outstretched forefinger points to himself with three fingers of his hand.", and the great German comedian Heinz Erhardt (+ 1979): You mustn't believe everything you think!" ;)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
My vaccination book is full because I travel all over the world. And I have seen diseases that are really disgusting and that nobody needs. Anyone who has seen a terminal thetanus disease, for example, like I have, immediately runs to get vaccinated. You won't to die like that - you really don't. Maybe the decision is easier for me because I have medical qualifications.
Same here. You do what you can do so you don't end up like those other poor souls.
Prevention is better than cure , as sometimes there is no cure.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:34 AM
Reaction score
Same here. You do what you can do so you don't end up like those other poor souls.
For the first 3 years of my life my father was in an "iron lung" as a consequence of catching polio. He died before my 3rd birthday - I never knew my father 😢

Last edited:

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just some port - I did not say I am not vaxxed at all - I am vaxxed against some most dangerous and deadly diseases. But its my decision and it should be like so. And there is another thingie .. even if @Magical Mystery Tours has medical background.

There is a term in the Hippocratic Oath "primum non nocere" first non - maleficence
In terms of medical treatment - including vaxxes there is a risk vs benefit balance. If I do not see a benefit.. - The rate of survival on my age group was 99,997 % so why then use an untested vaxxine with just emergency approval?
I am e.g vaxxed against typhus, hepatitis, and TME tick borne encephalitis. Difficult treatment and rather deadly. So risk / benefit value is well balanced and the vaccine is proven with rare side effects.
A friend of mine got a shot of vax against swine flu - at the end she suffers from narcolepsy .. will never able to drive a car or do proper work. Was just 18 when she received it. 5 years on court trial to get compensated - at the end 150 Euros per month granted. What a poor soul.. she was requested by employer and recommended by doctor to take the shot.
So better I take the risk - then I only have to blame myself.

Back to original topic - if I decide to go with a "big" SUV, or a "small car like a Smart." at the end its my decision. - What do people think of? E.g. in Rhodes, town of Lindos - Its impossible to go even with a modern midsize to downtown - in some streets a Smart would barely fit. - They use some Vespa type 3 wheelers or similar tiny vehicles to serve the restaurants and stores located there. Gothic Quarter in Barcelona alike. But if someone likes to drive a V8, V12 combustion engine, - so what.. or a vehicle with a RR Merlin aircraft engine like someone built in UK. There is a reason why people go for bigger vehicles. Quite often its not " I want to show my wealth" but the purpose of safety, sitting in a more elevated position or so. Why feel people unsafe? Address the cause and not the symptom. If people purchase firearms to protect themselves don't ban the guns first but get the thugs locked away. Then people will reconsider keeping the guns in the locker as they are to inconvenient.. and occupy space. Offer proper alternatives such as a safe, convenient, spacey and timely ride..

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just some port - I did not say I am not vaxxed at all - I am vaxxed against some most dangerous and deadly diseases. But its my decision and it should be like so. And there is another thingie .. even if @Magical Mystery Tours has medical background.

There is a term in the Hippocratic Oath "primum non nocere" first non - maleficence
In terms of medical treatment - including vaxxes there is a risk vs benefit balance. If I do not see a benefit.. - The rate of survival on my age group was 99,997 % so why then use an untested vaxxine with just emergency approval?
I am e.g vaxxed against typhus, hepatitis, and TME tick borne encephalitis. Difficult treatment and rather deadly. So risk / benefit value is well balanced and the vaccine is proven with rare side effects.
A friend of mine got a shot of vax against swine flu - at the end she suffers from narcolepsy .. will never able to drive a car or do proper work. Was just 18 when she received it. 5 years on court trial to get compensated - at the end 150 Euros per month granted. What a poor soul.. she was requested by employer and recommended by doctor to take the shot.

Back to original topic - if I decide to go with a "big" SUV, or a "small car like a Smart." at the end its my decision. - What do people think of? E.g. in Rhodes, town of Lindos - Its impossible to go even with a modern midsize to downtown - in some streets a Smart would barely fit. - They use some Vespa type 3 wheelers or similar tiny vehicles to serve the restaurants and stores located there. Gothic Quarter in Barcelona alike. But if someone likes to drive a V8, V12 combustion engine, - so what.. or a vehicle with a RR Merlin aircraft engine like someone built in UK. There is a reason why people go for bigger vehicles. Quite often its not " I want to show my wealth" but the purpose of safety, sitting in a more elevated position or so. Why feel people unsafe? Address the cause and not the symptom. If people purchase firearms to protect themselves don't ban the guns first but get the thugs locked away. Then people will reconsider keeping the guns in the locker as they are to inconvenient.. and occupy space. Offer proper alternatives such as a safe, convenient, spacey and timely ride..
I hired a Fiat 500 to drive around Sicily and Sardinia and a Fiat Panda to do Southern Italy for the reasons you state.
Many villages and towns you can't drive a large vehicle in let alone find a park.
Also it seemed like a good, fun thing to do.
As for vaccinations, due to my personal health I am triple vaccinated and still caught COVID in Switzerland.
I had zero symptoms and was not even slightly sick.
The Swiss doctor said based on my medical history the vaccinations appeared to have made a huge difference.
Who knows.
I am alive and so that is all I care about.
Plus I had a fantastic time quarantining in Andermatt.
Radisson Blue

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:34 AM
Reaction score
Never met this covid thing meself.
I do know the chap who managed to get his Grenadier in a back lane at St Ives is a champion!
We will visit St Ives in the next few days. Do you remember which side street it was? Maybe we'll meet him too.

Magical Mystery Tours

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Well, as long as you can decide 100% for yourself, everything is fine. I lack the balance. Simply expressed, alone that I am on this world and walk, I influence - positively and negatively - this world. And freedom does not mean that I can do and let everything what I want. Freedom always means - easier or harder - a deviation. As soon as my freedom restricts the freedom of the other, it is no longer worth anything.

Briefly about vaccination (it is not the subject here, but the pattern is the same): I have decided for myself to be vaccinated. Does this have any restrictions for others? I think not. I am not a scientist and I do not have a highly equipped laboratory. So I have to consider for myself and include in my decision whether my decision has a negative influence on others. My mother - she has since passed away - last very demented and suffering from COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), would not have survived a COVID infection. So the strategy was to minimize the likelihood of infection and that included vaccination on my part or ours and deciding with my siblings to isolate them from the outside world as much as possible. That's all I'll say and write about it.

But to come back to the topic: If I drive 500 meters to the bakery with my combustion engine - no matter if SUV or small car - and park in front of the bakery with the engine running, then this may be my free decision, but it means a considerable negative influence on my environment. So my freedom is worth nothing.

Conversely, it is also not right to destroy or damage cars or to glue to a road. Those who do this can of course say that it is their own free choice, but does that make it right? It seems to be becoming the general consensus that treating symptoms solves all the world's problems. We used to say self-ironically that every German is a better chancellor, soccer coach (anyway) and judge by birth. Today, more and more actually believe that - quite unironically.

I guess the art of life is to realize that there is a very long way between paranoia and laissez-faire. I try to find the golden mean and also admit that I make mistakes. Only when I admit that I also make mistakes can I correct them.
My English is probably the best example of the fact that I am flawed and imperfect. ;)

Back
Top Bottom