The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Theft Prevention

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
That's all well and good, but the case in hand was a set of keys behind a locked front door...

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:59 PM
Reaction score
I am looking at being garage poor and car rich, a the wonders of the Denver area real estate market, and might have to park this outside for a fair number of nights. Not optimal and the major reason I might not pull the trigger for a couple of years and the kids are out of the house. Colorado is also a leader in car theft and on top of that catalytic convertor theft.

A way to secure the car more would be welcome. The thief might take a dump in your car? What do you think they are going to do when they are done joy riding?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
This was discussed earlier in the year when I asked about what sort of key and lock system IA were using.

Thankfully they have opted for the safer option, which is a traditional keyed ignition and a key fob to open the door. The keyless entry and ignition systems would need a minimum of a faraday bag for your keys whilst you are at home and out and about.

Leaving your keys by the front door is plain suicide if you want to hang on to your vehicle. Not because of the thug who breaks in, but the one who is going to push a fishing rod with a large magnet attached to it through your letter box (if you have one), and then stealing your car with the keys.

If you are scared or don’t want the trouble then leave your keys on plain view well away from the front door so if someone does break in for your vehicle then they take the keys and go. Don’t make it easy by leaving them on that hook by the front door or the bowl on the unit in the hall.

certainly in the UK you don’t have to actually have insurance for your vehicles. As long as you put around £2 million in a seprate bank and get paperwork to prove that it is there solely to cover accidents and claims your are fine. Its a little more complicated than that but in essence that is all there is to it. The actual amount differs if you are a company or private citizen.

I was going to do it and then realised I was 1.95 million short 😂

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
'secure from all known ways of theft'....call me a cynic but highly unlikely!

prefer the anti-theft device of Q, but though car doesn't get stolen the damage is unlikely to buff out;

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
I am looking at being garage poor and car rich, a the wonders of the Denver area real estate market, and might have to park this outside for a fair number of nights. Not optimal and the major reason I might not pull the trigger for a couple of years and the kids are out of the house. Colorado is also a leader in car theft and on top of that catalytic convertor theft.

A way to secure the car more would be welcome. The thief might take a dump in your car? What do you think they are going to do when they are done joy riding?
I just got a quote yesterday for a new shed to park my Grenadier in.
1663788321673.png

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
That's not a shed - it's a palace!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
3:59 AM
Reaction score
I'm currently building four garages for rent. Just 3x5,5 meters from the smallest to 3x7,50 meters for the largest. Only suitable to park a car and/or motorbike/s. Have done this to put my money into something useful which raises my pension a bit and to escape the inflation.

If anybody want's to hire one, three are still available (but have already be asked for ...). :cool:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's not a shed - it's a palace!
My holiday house is on a block 60 metres long by 20 metres wide and this is going right at the back of the block. 16 metres wide by 12 metres deep. We are selling our main house at the end of this year and moving permanently to our holiday house. It is only 50 metres to the salt water so I need somewhere to park the vehicle away from the salt spray.

crimson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We have a small 3 bedroom house on the block at the moment and we might have to live in the shed while we renovate or replace it.
Sounds like such an exciting next chapter to the adventure we embark on in life. Hopefully you have space for the boat 😜 and a ramp to launch from.

We're also seeking a change, having bought a place in Cairns, we'll be moving from Sydney in December. Excited about the adventures ahead, and giving these opportunities to the family. Another purchase on the list of grown boys toys is a SeaDoo Explorer Jetski to go behind the Grenadiar. Camping and exploring taken to the water. Now to explore and find all those hidden spots in FNQ 😊

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sounds like such an exciting next chapter to the adventure we embark on in life. Hopefully you have space for the boat 😜 and a ramp to launch from.

We're also seeking a change, having bought a place in Cairns, we'll be moving from Sydney in December. Excited about the adventures ahead, and giving these opportunities to the family. Another purchase on the list of grown boys toys is a SeaDoo Explorer Jetski to go behind the Grenadiar. Camping and exploring taken to the water. Now to explore and find all those hidden spots in FNQ 😊
Funny, we left Sydney in1987 because it was too crowded and expensive. There was nowhere that we could afford to live that we would actually want to live. Or even stop at a red light in.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
You guys in Oz get the 79 series land cruisers still. I have to say I would have one of those in a heartbeat.

Same as South Africa, my sister lives in Cape Town and every time I go over I look at them and drool.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You guys in Oz get the 79 series land cruisers still. I have to say I would have one of those in a heartbeat.

Same as South Africa, my sister lives in Cape Town and every time I go over I look at them and drool.

Indeed. Wonder if you ordered both today which one would arrive first?

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I think it would be the IG tbh. I have heard the lead in time on them is about 18 months. Could be miles out and I think that was for a troopy though. Not sure if they take longer

Local time
Reaction score

No love for the Denver boot ? or do they just get cut up now with portable saws ?

I've been thinking of enclosing our carport because of similar theft concerns and to generally keep it out of sight.

If you can prevent the vehicle from being towed (removed on a deck truck) that would be best. So outside parking might be ok if you could block the IG in (with another car).

Not gonna help with cat theft tho. Around here, they cruise around with a tow rope, stop and attach it to the target's exhaust system and drive away fast. Rip off the works and haul it away to sort out latter.

For immobilization, the optional aux switches might be useful. I read on a Ford pick up forum where some owners had wired up the aux switches so a certain order or sequence was needed to start the vehicle.

But for simplicity one might wire in switch (aux or hidden) into the circuit for fuel pump, ignition, gear selector interlock etc.

On edit. One issue with a regular residential garage might be the height of the Grenadier. Anything on the roof and it prob won't fit under a 7' door (very common where I live and prob true elsewhere)

Last edited:

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Just look up “Ghost Immobiliser“ if you are interested in using the buttons already fitted to your vehicle to activate an immobiliser .

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just look up “Ghost Immobiliser“ if you are interested in using the buttons already fitted to your vehicle to activate an immobiliser .
Tks. That looks interesting. I'd be torn between the KISS fuel manual shut off with very little to go wrong apart from human area and starving the engine of fuel yourself accidentally and then having the ball ache of priming/bleeding a diesel engine versus something electronic and another thing to fail at the most inopportune moment!

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Tks. That looks interesting. I'd be torn between the KISS fuel manual shut off with very little to go wrong apart from human area and starving the engine of fuel yourself accidentally and then having the ball ache of priming/bleeding a diesel engine versus something electronic and another thing to fail at the most inopportune moment!
I will be honest and say go for a well hidden mechanical switch or valve.

Those ghost immobilisers can go wrong. If they do you are knackered whereas you know exactly where the switch is and can bypass it if needed. Imagine chasing an electronic gremlin round your vehicles system miles from no where or even in a garage tbh.

Back
Top Bottom