The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

The Utility Belt

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:26 PM
Reaction score
I was directly involved in a discussion about these rails at the doors (I guess it was 2019 or 2020, I do not know exactly) with Ineos.

My statement was: "If someone would consider that as useful, I would have seen it once in the 15 years I'm active in the 4x4 community on some occasion, at fairs, while traveling or any other event. Someone would have mounted such rails, which are so common and well known and which you often find (but not on side doors). If anyone would have seen any sense in that. But I have never seen a single car with rails on the doors.

When you go camping with a car of that size the front doors are the ones which are opened and closed many times to get stuff out and in the car. It makes no sense to attach something there, while stationary. While driving it is not legal to attach things there on public roads in many countries. While on tracks or doing serious offroading I consider the rails just as collectors of dirt, branches (which lead to scratches), etc.
In case you're standing inclined on a slope having load attached to the doors, that will make them not managable. If you ever needed to open a side door (especially these heavy and ultra-robust doors of the IG) while standing inclined on a slope, you know how heavy and difficult it will become to open the door or to hold it open while you crawl out (Attention: getting hit or squeezed by such a heavy door can end up in a very bad experience). If you put additional weight on it, lets say a 6 kg fluid container...have fun opening the door and trying that it not crashes back into into the car (or you)."

I would be interested if anybody who considers these rails as useful has mounted such rails on his 4x4s in the past? If not, why are these rails are so welcome now? It doesn't take much of a genius to develop such an idea on my own. Especialy for people who tend to modify an optimze their 4x4. However, I never came across this, not while camping not while driving a trophy.

These rails just make the production more complex and expensive, while the usefullnes is in question. If it would have been clear to everyone what these are for, we wouldn't see some discussions about these rails here. I think it will end up like many other camping stuff. You go into the shop, buy this and that, all that fancy stuff but over time, with increasing experience, you filter out what is essential, what is practical and what was just a waste of time and money.

These rails are the pure idea of someone who like the car to look like a All-Time-Ready-Trophy car without any experience in camping, as this person prefers to sleep in his own hotel. However, my thoughts on this, of course, had no weight, as I'm not the sponsor of the Grenadier and the guy seems to be right, as these rails seem to attract a lot of people.

Actually I read the German Camel Trophy book by Nick Dimbleby, Andreas Berger and Volker Lapp which covers the complete Camel Trophy history very deep in detail. All the cars and their equipment are shown and discussed. No door rails... I know Volker personally, I'll ask him what he thinks about the rails.

AWo
Totally agree regarding the rails and door mounting. For Australian conditions they are all but useless. 500klms of corrugations will render them unusable if anything other than a bracket was mounted on them.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:26 PM
Reaction score
I didn't order them, because I had no clue what to use them for.
Yesterday I went to the agent to see my car for real and, guess what, I got them anyway... for free...
and suddenly I have to figure out what use them for.
I think I will stick some spare fittings on them for "the looks".
+ 1
I am sure we will find some real problems that can be solved with help of the mighty rails!

Reactions: PBD

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
+ 1
I am sure we will find some real problems that can be solved with help of the mighty rails!
Speaking to an owner and he said the rails are a PIA to clean, I'm hoping that they aren't available with my vehicle when it finally arrives

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Speaking to an owner and he said the rails are a PIA to clean, I'm hoping that they aren't available with my vehicle when it finally arrives
And that was the reason why I didn't order them. But now they are here and it seems stupid to let them change against the closed sides.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
12:26 AM
Reaction score
Aren't covers available? And just use the rails you need/want to , when you want to?
I don't see it as an issue, though I wouldn't want salty dirt/mud caked in there. Not being euro is a bonus for me.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Aren't covers available? And just use the rails you need/want to , when you want to?
I don't see it as an issue, though I wouldn't want salty dirt/mud caked in there. Not being euro is a bonus for me.
Apparently the covers aren't available so all IG's are delivered with rails. Want them or not.

muxmax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Media Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Incorrect.

@joseph.graham reports in a WA thread that his IG just got delivered without them (he forgot to add them to his FM spec)
According to my info from IA, there had been an issue which resulted in all vehicles being built with the utility rails but that has been resolved a few months ago.

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Aftermarket rubber inserts are available that leave you with a neat hemispherical profile.
i might add them just for door bumpers, if im not using the rails.

i’m kind of keen to see what uses evolve over time for them. I agree there’s not a lot immediately obvious that is sensible. But, like the ability to remove a defender roof and fold the windscreen forwards, or use the proper PTO (not electricity, true threshing power!), almost no-one ever did it, but it was nice that it was possible. Part of the joy in the bones of the thing.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
Because I find it uncomfortable to sit while wearing, I will be utilizing the IG utility belt to its fullest.

IMG_0614.jpeg

Joey

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
Incorrect.

@joseph.graham reports in a WA thread that his IG just got delivered without them (he forgot to add them to his FM spec)
@Sam

Your 100% right mate. I was the first resolved case...the infills are great on the doors (I don't want anything on my doors) but the rear is just an empty track. It looks like I can slide a airline rail into the slot and screw in? Can anyone confirm? TIA.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Classier than screw bolting the vise to a stump.

Rab

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:26 PM
Reaction score
I would just carry a couple of spare chains, need a bit more room about the saw than that for hand filing. IMHO of course.

Back
Top Bottom