The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering bump stop adjustment for improved turning circle?

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:38 PM
Reaction score
Someone just posted this in one of the Facebook groups.

"Update on my post about steering issues. Today I removed the stock Bilstein steering damper. I did buy a OME damper to fit but decided to try it with no damper fitted first.
I was amazed at the difference. Steering now returned to centre with no assistance and fast enough for my liking. You can now drive around town one handed. I was concerned that it may effect the stability at speed, but I found, to my pleasure that all of the wandering had gone. So my next test was a very deep pot holed and muddy farm track .I drove this slow and fast and again it felt 100% better than with the damper fitted. The steering is now 90 % of what I would expect from this car and with some small tweeks I think it can be perfect. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove and refit the damper unit .Personally I would only refit it if doing some serious off road rock climbing etc . My feelings are the car should be supplied with a bespoke RTC (return to centre) unit with adjustable damping settings . Is this an error of Magna engineers or have they simply used the wrong part in production. They certainly have had enough feedback from press and owners now to take a long hard look at this. My own feeling is that my vehicle was bordering on dangerous at highway speed and my wife was terrified to drive it. Now she likes it. By the way I am not some amature home mechanic, I have over 50 years of automotive trade experience. I have designed and built my own race cars and motorcycles from scratch. My current job is automotive product R +D"
I asked for the post to be removed on FB.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The steering in the Grenadier is fine albeit a little heavy around town. This is my view after 5000km. I actuality found my steering now comes back closer to centre as I presume the entire set up at start was quite right and needed a little setting in and loosening from daily driving. The turning circle is crap - find myself doing multi-point manoeuvres in a few U-turn situations that are quite dangerous as every other car can easily make it... the dont expect me to stop abs then forcing a small blockade!!!

Steering at 110km is quite good now and seems to hold straight line better than when the vehicle was brand new...

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:38 AM
Reaction score
I asked for the post to be removed on FB.
As I said there, I suspect that the very firm Steering damper used on the Grenadier which is at least partly responsible for the slow steering feel is likely to guard against death wobble. We saw that on a video with an early PTO vehicle and we know its a risk for any vehicle with this kind of front suspension and axle setup. It’s good to know that removing it is an option in an emergency especially for RHD vehicles where the damper is so exposed but I think probably a very bad idea for general use. INEOS likely did this for a reason.

Last edited:

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was getting very annoyed at the permanent errors on my driver display, so I've removed the driver's display. Guess what, 100pct no more warning lights. I'm no amateur home auto electrician, I've fitted new headlight bulbs and currently work at home with many electrical products. Some work all the time, 60pct of the time!

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
As I said there, I suspect that the very firm Steering damper used on the Grenadier which is at least partly responsible for the slow steering feel is likely to guard against death wobble. We saw that on a video with an early PTO vehicle and we know its a risk for any vehicle with this kind of front suspension and axle setup. It’s good to know that removing it is an option in an emergency especially for RHD vehicles where the damper is so exposed but I think probably a very bad idea for general use. INEOS likely did this for a reason.
I haven't seen the original FB post but I think we're on the same page @AnD3rew Post #8

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was getting very annoyed at the permanent errors on my driver display, so I've removed the driver's display. Guess what, 100pct no more warning lights. I'm no amateur home auto electrician, I've fitted new headlight bulbs and currently work at home with many electrical products. Some work all the time, 60pct of the time!
I commend you for your efforts!
I have been trying to repair the turn signals on my FJ40 resto project. When I turn them ON they only illuminate half of the time. The rest of the time they're off. What do you think it could be? ;)

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:38 PM
Reaction score
my question is why the steering damper in-front of the axel vs behind it? Maybe that could have been an option.

Local time
Reaction score
I certainly hope the heavy steering isn’t due to over damping to avoid death wobble in a clean sheet design with unworn linkage.
I don‘t know why there’s a panic about taking it off and going for a drive to feel the difference. Maybe you‘ll feel some unwanted vibrations with a pothole, but if you get oscillations that amplify to the point they result in death wobble in a brand new truck, please, let me know now!!! I‘m a walk-in’ away!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
my question is why the steering damper in-front of the axel vs behind it? Maybe that could have been an option.
I'm not sure how you could put the damper behind the axle?? I don't think I've seen any solid axle truck that has the steering linkages behind the axle. Or did you mean behind the tie rod, as it is already behind it

I certainly hope the heavy steering isn’t due to over damping to avoid death wobble in a clean sheet design with unworn linkage.
Red Noland Ineos in CO somehow bashed/destroyed the steering damper on one of their demos and said it drove great without one on at all

Local time
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you could put the damper behind the axle?? I don't think I've seen any solid axle truck that has the steering linkages behind the axle. Or did you mean behind the tie rod, as it is already behind it
lifted, and modded to a 3 link with custom knuckle arms for the drag link... I don't think were quite there in the market yet. :)

Yea, I assumed he intended tie rod.

Back
Top Bottom