The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Steering bump stop adjustment for improved turning circle?

Too many trucks

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
12:07 PM
Reaction score
As title suggests, anyone wound the bump stops in a bit to get a much better turning circle like we all did with the proper Defender? Maybe the question should be can you wind the stops in?

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The only issue is will the CV / double cardan joints take it?

thale10

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
Someone just posted this in one of the Facebook groups.

"Update on my post about steering issues. Today I removed the stock Bilstein steering damper. I did buy a OME damper to fit but decided to try it with no damper fitted first.
I was amazed at the difference. Steering now returned to centre with no assistance and fast enough for my liking. You can now drive around town one handed. I was concerned that it may effect the stability at speed, but I found, to my pleasure that all of the wandering had gone. So my next test was a very deep pot holed and muddy farm track .I drove this slow and fast and again it felt 100% better than with the damper fitted. The steering is now 90 % of what I would expect from this car and with some small tweeks I think it can be perfect. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove and refit the damper unit .Personally I would only refit it if doing some serious off road rock climbing etc . My feelings are the car should be supplied with a bespoke RTC (return to centre) unit with adjustable damping settings . Is this an error of Magna engineers or have they simply used the wrong part in production. They certainly have had enough feedback from press and owners now to take a long hard look at this. My own feeling is that my vehicle was bordering on dangerous at highway speed and my wife was terrified to drive it. Now she likes it. By the way I am not some amature home mechanic, I have over 50 years of automotive trade experience. I have designed and built my own race cars and motorcycles from scratch. My current job is automotive product R +D"

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yet another rumour. Is the guy who posted this on Facebook an engineer that works for Ineos?

I would imagine a modification like this will certainly invalidate your warranty. God forbid you have an accident with it removed.....the trouble is with Forums and Facebook, no one knows who is posting.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:07 PM
Reaction score

"Update on my post about steering issues. Today I removed the stock Bilstein steering damper. I did buy a OME damper to fit but decided to try it with no damper fitted first.
I was amazed at the difference. Steering now returned to centre with no assistance and fast enough for my liking. You can now drive around town one handed. I was concerned that it may effect the stability at speed, but I found, to my pleasure that all of the wandering had gone. So my next test was a very deep pot holed and muddy farm track .I drove this slow and fast and again it felt 100% better than with the damper fitted. The steering is now 90 % of what I would expect from this car and with some small tweeks I think it can be perfect. It takes less than 5 minutes to remove and refit the damper unit .Personally I would only refit it if doing some serious off road rock climbing etc . My feelings are the car should be supplied with a bespoke RTC (return to centre) unit with adjustable damping settings . Is this an error of Magna engineers or have they simply used the wrong part in production. They certainly have had enough feedback from press and owners now to take a long hard look at this. My own feeling is that my vehicle was bordering on dangerous at highway speed and my wife was terrified to drive it. Now she likes it. By the way I am not some amature home mechanic, I have over 50 years of automotive trade experience. I have designed and built my own race cars and motorcycles from scratch. My current job is automotive product R +D"
Well what we can rely on is that Ineos/Magna didn't commit to the engineering R&D and production cost if the damper wasn't necessary. Ineos inadvertently published a video at one point that showed a PTO vehicle with some serious wheel shimmy (a.k.a death wobble). Any live axle Jeep owner would know of this phenomena.
It gets discussed in this video at 16:00.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Well what we can rely on is that Ineos/Magna didn't commit to the engineering R&D and production cost if neos inadvertently published a video at one point that showed a PTO vehicle with some serious wheel shimmy (a.k.a death wobble). Any live axle Jeep owner would know of this phenomena.
It gets discussed in this video at 16:00.
That old chestnut has been roasted to charcoal ;)

Grey Wolf

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yet another rumour. Is the guy who posted this on Facebook an engineer that works for Ineos?

I would imagine a modification like this will certainly invalidate your warranty. God forbid you have an accident with it removed.....the trouble is with Forums and Facebook, no one knows who is posting.
It's amazing at the number of experts there are on the internet. I suspect the people who really know what they are doing don't have the spare time to waste on Facebook . Remember a little knowledge can be dangerous 🤔

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score

Hi thale10, Here's a link to a prior post in regards to the Road Master Return To Center Damper. Road Master said they will support the Grenadier as soon as someone calls and takes their Grenadier to them in Washington State. I have contact phone numbers on who to call and speak with there in case you would like to speak to my contact there. DaBull

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That old chestnut has been roasted to charcoal ;)
Yep. Just throwing this in to highlight that the damper serves purposes beyond which the FB guy may have considered and tested. If Ineos/Magna think it's necessary then who am I to argue.
I've never seen an Engineer with FBQual in their title.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Yep. Just throwing this in to highlight that the damper serves purposes beyond which the FB guy may have considered and tested. If Ineos/Magna think it's necessary then who am I to argue.
I've never seen an Engineer with FBQual in their title.
But if you state "By the way I am not some amature home mechanic" that's as good , isn't it?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score

I really can't take the post with any legitimacy given that he feels that the vehicle was "bordering on dangerous". I also have a very hard time believing that the "fix" for these so called "issues" is to simply remove a steering damper that Magna and Ineos developed and felt necessary to include.

For what it's worth, I was in a MY23.5 (US demo vehicle) this past weekend, with city style/parking lot/parking garage driving, and the driver had no problems driving around one handed, nor any issue negotiating the parking garage, nor parking in a spot (with a vehicle on either side) in more than one maneuver.

thale10

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
I really can't take the post with any legitimacy given that he feels that the vehicle was "bordering on dangerous". I also have a very hard time believing that the "fix" for these so called "issues" is to simply remove a steering damper that Magna and Ineos developed and felt necessary to include.

For what it's worth, I was in a MY23.5 (US demo vehicle) this past weekend, with city style/parking lot/parking garage driving, and the driver had no problems driving around one handed, nor any issue negotiating the parking garage, nor parking in a spot (with a vehicle on either side) in more than one maneuver.
Just passing on what I read.

Have you driven the vehicle yourself in these situations? I can tell you that the steering is different and takes getting used to. Can you do it with one hand? With practice for sure but I just drove 4 hours in the mountains and it would be slightly dangerous doing it with one hand. If this can be safely improved I wouldn't hesitate. If it can't I am fine with it as is.

thale10

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Hi thale10, Here's a link to a prior post in regards to the Road Master Return To Center Damper. Road Master said they will support the Grenadier as soon as someone calls and takes their Grenadier to them in Washington State. I have contact phone numbers on who to call and speak with there in case you would like to speak to my contact there. DaBull
Yes, I am following this thread.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score
Have you driven the vehicle yourself in these situations? I can tell you that the steering is different and takes getting used to. Can you do it with one hand? With practice for sure but I just drove 4 hours in the mountains and it would be slightly dangerous doing it with one hand. If this can be safely improved I wouldn't hesitate. If it can't I am fine with it as is.
I have, and, as with most vehicles, it definitely takes a bit of getting used to. That "getting used to period" probably depends on what you have previously driven or commonly drive.

My current daily driver is a Sprinter 4x4 (granted it's a 144", so only about 19.5ft long), my last was a double cab Tundra, and before that a 4Runner. My better half had a double cab long bed Tacoma for the past 3 years, which was recently replaced by a Forester Wilderness. Sprinkled in over the past decade is plenty of time driving a F450/550 based ambulances with a 120"CA and a plethora of Freightliner M2 and International MV/DuraStar chassis'd ambulances; suffice to say I'm very comfortable driving large vehicles in both tight parking lot spaces and on the highway at or above posted speed limits for 12+ hours a day.

Honestly the largest change for either of us was switching to her Forester. It's an odd feeling not having to pull beyond the neighbor's driveway to back in to ours, and we've both been driving large vehicles for long enough that we look like buffoons parking it usually.

Back
Top Bottom