The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Solid side panels v windows

Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
Hi,
on my 5 seat SW have opted for windows instead of the solid welded rear side panels as thought the rear loading bay may be a little dark and also to make the cabin as bright as possible - however on second thoughts am a little unsure as there’s potential for leaks and breakages over time - but as an option I had been informed I could amend up to contract signature - now seemingly I can’t make such a significant amendment which I sort off get being part of the vehicles integrity as opposed to a bolt on options - however wasn’t made clear at the time..
Interested to know in general view on panels v glass ?

Should I revert to solid panels but means going to back of the queue☹️

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I'd stick with Windows. It'll be easier changing from Windows to panels than vice versa.

Local time
6:01 AM
Reaction score
I dithered quite a lot and in the end went with the panels not the windows as I think I (just) prefer the look. Toss of a coin really!

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I'd stick with Windows. It'll be easier changing from Windows to panels than vice versa.
I second windows - when you drive an Econovan or other 'carrier' vehicle with solid sides, it seems to be excessively dark back there and visibility minimised slightly! You can always film out a window if you want total sun black out. If these leak, well it wouldnt be any different to the other fixed windows in the car and its always very rare that fixed windows leak these days.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:01 PM
Reaction score
Hi,
on my 5 seat SW have opted for windows instead of the solid welded rear side panels as thought the rear loading bay may be a little dark and also to make the cabin as bright as possible - however on second thoughts am a little unsure as there’s potential for leaks and breakages over time - but as an option I had been informed I could amend up to contract signature - now seemingly I can’t make such a significant amendment which I sort off get being part of the vehicles integrity as opposed to a bolt on options - however wasn’t made clear at the time..
Interested to know in general view on panels v glass ?

Should I revert to solid panels but means going to back of the queue☹️
Panels, to improve the security of the loadspace for international overlanding... can then use the recessed areas inside for storage purposes (eg StarLink, electrical panel etc).

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:01 PM
Reaction score
Panels, to improve the security of the loadspace for international overlanding... can then use the recessed areas inside for storage purposes (eg StarLink, electrical panel etc).
I've been looking at metal Molle panels (for efficient vertical storage for light weight gear...) which, through the window, resemble a physical security device.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:01 PM
Reaction score
I've been looking at metal Molle panels (for efficient vertical storage for light weight gear...) which, through the window, resemble a physical security device.
Yes, I’ll do that on the rear windows - it’s a good solution!

Paul Cooper

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I went with windows and privacy glass.
Reason being I am hoping there will be an aftermarket solution to replace for gullwing openable windows.
I was disappointed they were taken off the early IA options as would have gone for them from day 1.

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I went with windows and privacy glass.
Reason being I am hoping there will be an aftermarket solution to replace for gullwing openable windows.
I was disappointed they were taken off the early IA options as would have gone for them from day 1.
I went with glass also for the exact same reasoning

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
6:01 AM
Reaction score
My other half asked me last night why I had gone for the windows, I explained that the gullwing doors had disappeared from the option list but I fully expected that the aftermarket will very quickly develop so really nice ones, glass and slid versions and they will almost certainly be based on the original window opening and not involve anything more than window removal.

If anyone is worrying about the OEM windows leaking, I would find something else to worry about as the chances of that fixed window leaking is almost zero. There is more chance of the windscreen leaking tbh

BD1

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:01 AM
Reaction score
Are there pictures of these gullwing windows?

I don't remember seeing them.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
normal_IMG_20210930_130402.jpg

Paul Cooper

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Must have been a really good reason because car manufacturers love accessories to pump the price up
I suspect it was security.
All gulling windows i have seen / fitted use Southco locks.
Issue being there are limited key numbers and easy to break into.

Back
Top Bottom