The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

So where are all the first impressions? (right here)

Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
My experience of yesterday, going off road in a very wet field was not as expected. Drove onto field in order to check all three difflocks worked. Good news was yes, they all worked. Bad news, sank up to axles in soft mud. Three hours of hard work in extracting myself. One mudguard ripped off but otherwise, all seems OK.

Same with my new Defender
Drove across a field to get to a job, yeah the Defender will be fine, with all the tech.

Erm, no. Axle deep in mud at least l had a decent tow rope so the farmer could tow me with his tractor.

Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
I thought someone mentioned here in the last day or so that they are a European compound and softer than those supplied to US and I assume Aus markets.
I'd doubt that.

I ran the older KO's on my hilux and did 115K km's on them and still had 6+mm thread left (original was 13mm)
Thereafter a set of KO2's drove them for ~75k km's but as they got a bit slippy and noisy I decided to move on (plenty of thread left for normal driving) and have Cooper STT/Max (hybrid) on my lux

Maxwell

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:24 AM
Reaction score
I have rather mixed feelings now. After the first 30 kilometres driven (got the car with about 150 km on the odo, after 10 months at the dealer and several issues fixed), the yellow engine light came on. It’s still on, although the batteries are at 95%. I also get the impression that I smell exhaust fumes within the passenger cabin. Also, the door seals come loose. The engine and drive train have strong vibrations in some speed ranges and when accelerating from 100 km/h at the latest. Now, 300 km on the odo. Hope that the issues can be fixed. Otherwise, I will return the car and ask for a refund.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:24 PM
Reaction score
I have rather mixed feelings now. After the first 30 kilometres driven (got the car with about 150 km on the odo, after 10 months at the dealer and several issues fixed), the yellow engine light came on. It’s still on, although the batteries are at 95%. I also get the impression that I smell exhaust fumes within the passenger cabin. Also, the door seals come loose. The engine and drive train have strong vibrations in some speed ranges and when accelerating from 100 km/h at the latest. Now, 300 km on the odo. Hope that the issues can be fixed. Otherwise, I will return the car and ask for a refund.
Sounds like you’ve received a lemon. Sorry you’ve had to go through all that :-(

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Ah to confirm I had fuel/burning diesel/burning oil/lubricants odours in the first week also... but gone at week two. Just in case you're wondering.

Chris P

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
1000kms in, loving it.
Minor issues:
- one of the rear parking sensors faults to detecting a very close object despite there being nothing.
- fuel gauge vs distance remaining, quarter of a tank and the red lights are on saying 70km remaining..... come on ineos 🤣
- turning to the right and the steering creaks, not sure what is catching but it only appeared about 500km in and is getting worse.
I guess I have the latest update for the media system as there has not been any incorrect warning lights or media issues.
Love the driving position, visibility to the front corners, the fact that when I check over my shoulder I'm actually looking out the back window.
Yet to get off road, hopefully this weekend!
No regrets, well maybe not ticking yes on safari windows but time will tell. Sitting back it is dark and relaxing in cabin without the top windows.

Last edited:

JOB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As posted elsewhere, our diesel Station Wagon is in for some repairs and I have kindly been loaned another Grenadier, only powered by the B58 petrol motor.

It is the first other Grenadier I have driven on the road, and the first I’ve tried with this motor. For completeness I will add I’m no stranger to the BMW I6 petrols having had both M135i and M2.

When I first fired it up the noise while on choke is quite pleasant and true to the cars philosophy feels very old school and analogue. On takeoff I noticed that this car (fitted with KO2s and alloys, we’re on Bridgestones and steelies) has noticeably lighter steering. Other than possibly less unsprung weight I can’t work out why this would be the case. Any suggestions appreciated as I think this car steers better than ours.

Comparing B58 and B57 is not like comparing chalk and cheese. The petrol has slightly better initial response but notably less “go” below 3k rpm, they even seem to sound about the same when under light load. Run the B58 out and it does give a nice sound but nothing like I have experienced in other BMW applications. I’m not complaining, as that’s not the point, but 6 cylinder engines sound so lovely I would like to hear a bit more. Overall, I can’t see any reason to have the petrol model over the diesel (for our use case) and am super pleased that both engines share amazing smoothness and great power delivery. I hope they prove reliable over the long run as these BMW motors are just superb.

Other observations and differences - no centre armrest, reverse camera or front sensors are a chore but no heated mirror glasses in 2023 is simply a safety oversight. I can’t believe they aren’t standard fit and am so glad to have opted for the power and heated mirrors.

I have enjoyed my flirt with another Grenadier but am looking forward to picking the Green Gren up next week.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:24 PM
Reaction score
Gradually, driving reports on the Grenadier are also being published in off-road trade journals. I can only talk about Germany at the moment. But I also know of comparable magazines in France.
On 25 January 2024, the German magazine 4x4 action will publish a report on a vehicle from a reader of the magazine. Allegedly, he was one of the first to optimise the vehicle individually. :rolleyes: I think I've even seen the licence plate here in the forum before.
@Stu_Barnes , should we create a separate thread under media for reports from magazines?

Attachments

• Grenadier.jpg
    Grenadier.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 36

YellowLab

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Gradually, driving reports on the Grenadier are also being published in off-road trade journals. I can only talk about Germany at the moment. But I also know of comparable magazines in France.
On 25 January 2024, the German magazine 4x4 action will publish a report on a vehicle from a reader of the magazine. Allegedly, he was one of the first to optimise the vehicle individually. :rolleyes: I think I've even seen the licence plate here in the forum before.
@Stu_Barnes , should we create a separate thread under media for reports from magazines?
Great idea to have a separate section

Back
Top Bottom