The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Snow Chains

Barttraeger

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
I used to use snow chains on my defender in deep snow in Bosnian winters in the mountains. Any one have any thoughts on the best chains for the Grenadier or even if they are superfluous? RUD look professional but at 800 euros a pair they aren’t cheap. I have 265 / 70 / 17 BFG Goodrich tyres.

I will be in deep snow in Finland in March.

Lollo050968

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score

pewag Schneeketten 12363 brenta-c 4x4 XMR 81V​

~190€/pair at amazon

Was my choice for several VW Touareg and other 4x4….. But I could not remember if Imhave ever used except long turns downhill for better braking😉
Uphill with 4x4 plus low gear/Diff lock never needed

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
1698774894657.png
From the ineos manual if it helps .

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
never bought snow chains happy to be educated :)

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’m driving to the Alps for skiing this year, I was going to get a set as I think they can be mandatory on some roads. Unfortunately most manufacturers stop one size below my 33” tyres… Its quite an expensive thing to carry that I might not need.

Tinki

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m driving to the Alps for skiing this year, I was going to get a set as I think they can be mandatory on some roads. Unfortunately most manufacturers stop one size below my 33” tyres… Its quite an expensive thing to carry that I might not need.
I find most safety things are like condoms . Better have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it .

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have a look at eBay…. Quite a lot people sell chains, they never had used, because of car change. I bought the last three pairs for less than the half price.
I have but again the 33” thing has come back to bite me.

Local time
Reaction score
Certainly useful in snow/ice conditions!

Make sure the chain link size is sufficient. I would say minimum 4 mm and preferably D-link. Additional links on tread increse traction and reduce wear. Also the material need to be strong.

But I find those rubber tensioners pretty childish for any off-road conditions. I would choose proper chain tensioner system. Like here:

IMG_3588.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

I have sold Mafri chains from Italy (like the ones on the picture) but unfortunately they no longer make 4x4 sizes.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:39 PM
Reaction score
They sell them here in US, worth a shot. Try Iceland which is the snow 4x4 mecca.

Local time
1:39 PM
Reaction score
I loved the deal we had in the US with Les Swabs you bought a pair of snow chains, if you didn't use them you could return them end of the season and get the money back.

Local time
Reaction score
No rules in the alps oblige for snow chains if you mount mud tires on but you will want to have them as it is a heavy car and on long downhills you could potentially struggle.
Out of curiosity what precise size of 33" did you mount and did you need a lift or any other adjustment?

Local time
Reaction score
@Tom D

Are you planning on running chains with your 33s? Have you fully cycled the suspension with the 33s to check on clearance? Rubbing on the inner fender with just the tire won't do much (if any) damage, but do the same thing with a set of chains on (depending on the chains) and you could really tear-up the inner fender. Might also want to look at other possible rubbing areas, because - depending on the chains - you could be running the equivalent of a 34-inch tire. But chains could do some damage that a 34-inch rubber tire would not.

If possible, please post back regardless of what you find. It would be great to know either that you can, or cannot, safely run chains on a 33-inch tire. Thanks!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No rules in the alps oblige for snow chains if you mount mud tires
will be beyond just muds next year in French alps - will need the 3 peaks mountain snowflake symbol marking. i.e my K02's will be ok but my KM3's will not.

you're prob in the know but incase anyone else reading who isn't.

not certain rest of the alps but Switz doesn't appear to have rules on tyres but a buck gets 10 if you cause an accident and don't have 'appropriate' tyres then you're on a slippery slope. no doubt Swiss forumites have a better view.

FlyingTexan

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
I used to use snow chains on my defender in deep snow in Bosnian winters in the mountains. Any one have any thoughts on the best chains for the Grenadier or even if they are superfluous? RUD look professional but at 800 euros a pair they aren’t cheap. I have 265 / 70 / 17 BFG Goodrich tyres.

I will be in deep snow in Finland in March.
Nokian tires?

Back
Top Bottom