The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

"Retro off-roaders"

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score
I just got an email from Scout regarding the "new" Scout and the website it launched ( SCOUT ) and I am genuinely curious to see what it looks like. I'm not sure if the rest of the world had the American-built International Harvester Scouts and Scout IIs from the 60s & 70s, but they were very capable little trucks,. So this got me thinking about "retro" trucks, and whether or not the IG falls into that category.

The new Bronco most certainly is playing off its past and the Jeep Wrangler, well it's never not been retro since it looks so similar to the originals, and the same could be said about the real Defender too. VW owns the Scout name and are trying to take advantage of its heritage to enter the 4x4 market (although it's going to be electric :sick:). Years back Toyota's FJ Cruiser tried to be retro but with an oddly "modern" design but I suppose the 70-series LCs are much more akin to earlier LCs and FJs (not unlike the Jeep and Defender).

Thoughts? Are there other trucks that fit into this category? Like I said, it just got me thinking and since this is our virtual pub, it's a conversation I would love to have over a pint.

Last edited:

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:54 PM
Reaction score
G wagon fits into the retro catagory, as does the Jimny.

Not sure about the new defender, thoroughly modern (not in a good way) underpinnings and design

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:54 PM
Reaction score
My opinion to VW is due to experience with different vehicles (btw never ever owned a Golf / Rabbit) and company politics very bad. Won't go in details.
Vehicles - VW has some story on cheating - emissions, whores, bribing workers council.
They were VAG - the surcharge company. - Any feature was available on surcharge only in Germany.
Looking at the vehicles - unemotional - not stylish - like visting a tax office.
A Citroen 2CV has more style than any VW vehicle ever produced. okay old beetle with pretzel rear window and first bully - may have some flower power. But after 40mls the engine leaks oil latest.. My dad was once passed on high speed by a pretzel beetle. - It wasnt one- it was a Porsche styled as beetle. Engine was definitely a 6 piston..

VW and 4WD / real offroad.. only thing that somewhat worked was this one
Iltis.jpeg
And overpriced when it was offerred to the public as a civil vehicle (not Bundeswehr)
But today still working / restored military vehicles are pretty expensive.

So they want to do a IHC Scout retro electric.. Maybe.
I assume not for serious offroading.
None of the electric Pickups / So called SUV offered so far are seriously capable of proper offroading - no matter what.
Even if I am biased and perhaps oldschool.

There is rarely a powerbank sufficent to replace a couple 20l canister of diesel..
Unless an offroader can be at least 800kms w/o fast refueling or converted to overlanding to minimum 1600kms /1000mls - (with extra tank and canisters perhaps) on decent speed and serve different support systems as winch, A/C , extra heater, and and and.
Unless an E Vehicle has a Nano sized - nuke or fusion powerplant this will not work. - (So as this is currently science fiction - a working e-offroader is also currently science fiction in near / visible future.

I guess what scout will be - is something that runs as 2nd car in an suburban area and serve retro market. with this look alike.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The grenadier is what LR should have built
I thought that once; but now I'm grateful to JLR moving so far away from the Grenadier with the new Defender that it gave the room for someone else to come in (legal issues aside).

I also don't think JLR have the pure engineering staff to develop the vehicle the Grenadier is; and carries too much historical baggage to give us anything like differential locks in front and rear axles.

Then there's manufacturing plants. I'm very happy that the Grenadier is being built in a super high tech environment (there's a certain irony there given the nature of the back to basics vehicle), by a team who have many years experience building literally millions of vehicles.

Sad for JLR, perhaps, but it's all shaping up to be a real bonus for us.

And the final irony is JLR binned the volume strategy that new Defender was the cornerstone to, brought in Bolloré to sort them out, and now after just a couple of years he's quit.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@rovie Tell us about your Scout!
It's not mine. It is for sale. Year of manufacture 1979, in bordeax-offwhite. I like it very much. From my point of view, it is not comparable with the Range. Even though I love mine very much. It was the Scout that inspired the Swiss car designer Monteverdi to build a "better" Range Rover.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was poking around and came across BAIC Motors LINK - It's amazing how some Chinese manufacturers flat out rip off other designs. This is nothing new and yada, yada ... any idea what truck this is (insert sarchasm)? :rolleyes:

1668780626140.png

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was poking around and came across BAIC Motors LINK - It's amazing how some Chinese manufacturers flat out rip off other designs. This is nothing new and yada, yada ... any idea what truck this is (insert sarchasm)? :rolleyes:

View attachment 7796256
You can tell it's not a Mercedes G by the tail lights. A Chinese replica.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, I noticed that straight away too, but for any casual observer (my wife for example) totally think it's a G. I was trying to express my continued amazement at how the Chinese are so brazen and unabashed in their ripping off of things.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's not mine. It is for sale. Year of manufacture 1979, in bordeax-offwhite. I like it very much. From my point of view, it is not comparable with the Range. Even though I love mine very much. It was the Scout that inspired the Swiss car designer Monteverdi to build a "better" Range Rover.

I had also never heard of Monteverdi but their off-road story is interesting. Improving the Range Rover (and making the first years of the 4-door RR) and then making the Safari/Sahara off the Scout platform.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
I had also never heard of Monteverdi
One of the most expensive and prestigious brands of the time. It cost almost 50% more than a comparable Ferrari.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
The China-G is missing the indicators on top of the fenders. And the taillights are different, as some have already noted.

In this picture, it also looks like the hood is different.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Would love to know what V8 is in it lol

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner