The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Redder is better - those towhook recovery points and A lettering throughout

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:42 AM
Reaction score
Just mask off and get a red rattle can and spray them, you will probably have to touch up every now and again but not a big deal. I wouldn’t use raptor, particularly if you use soft shackles as it might wreck your recovery gear, too much friction.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I wouldn’t use raptor, particularly if you use soft shackles as it might wreck your recovery gear, too much friction.
I doubt they are radiused for soft shackles, but I could be wrong.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
They are definitely thinner than ideal, but I think I would still prefer the soft shackle.
Absolutely ; soft gear is the safe way forward. Until we get the final iteration we are guessing, I guess!

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:42 PM
Reaction score
I have a LOT to learn about safe recovery (and I'm watching YouTube videos sporadically to that end) but I think using soft shackles with a "V" attachment using both hard points would probably be safest in most situations. Paired with a heavy screw-down shackle attached to a turnbuckle to double the pulling power might be the ticket. I have a couple of huge tow straps I bought for my work vehicle, but need to get a recovery kit. Thinking I'll probably just walk into 4WheelParts and hand them my credit card, when the time comes and get the best ARB or whatever self-recovery kit.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a LOT to learn about safe recovery (and I'm watching YouTube videos sporadically to that end) but I think using soft shackles with a "V" attachment using both hard points would probably be safest in most situations. Paired with a heavy screw-down shackle attached to a turnbuckle to double the pulling power might be the ticket. I have a couple of huge tow straps I bought for my work vehicle, but need to get a recovery kit. Thinking I'll probably just walk into 4WheelParts and hand them my credit card, when the time comes and get the best ARB or whatever self-recovery kit.
Check out Saber or Factor55. I really like ARB but (depending on your budget/needs) I think these are better options.

If it helps, there’s really 8 basic scenarios to learn/practice - 6 self-recovery and 2 assisted:
  1. Shovel & boards (eg Maxtrax)
  2. Jack-assisted (high lift or exhaust jack)
  3. Single line pull (no mechanical advantage)
  4. Double line pull (2:1)
  5. Redirect single/double line pull (eg when the anchoring point is insufficient/not in front of the vehicle)
  6. Spanish burton (4:1)
and
  1. Traction pull (single line straight tow or (better) crossed dual lines to both recovery points on both vehicles)
  2. Kinetic pull (ideally as you mention with a bridle)
For whatever reason jack-assisted recoveries and traction pulls, although very common (in my experience at least), seem under-represented on YouTube. Perhaps because jacking is most often in ramp-over type strandings with long wheel base vehicles, not short wheel base rock hopping etc. Anyway, might be handy for the IG.

Where would things most often go pear-shaped in Arizona/where you plan on going? Desert/Soft sand? Could be of course one only needs what one needs…

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Check out Saber or Factor55. I really like ARB but (depending on your budget/needs) I think these are better options.

If it helps, there’s really 8 basic scenarios to learn/practice - 6 self-recovery and 2 assisted:
  1. Shovel & boards (eg Maxtrax)
  2. Jack-assisted (high lift or exhaust jack)
  3. Single line pull (no mechanical advantage)
  4. Double line pull (2:1)
  5. Redirect single/double line pull (eg when the anchoring point is insufficient/not in front of the vehicle)
  6. Spanish burton (4:1)
and
  1. Traction pull (single line straight tow or (better) crossed dual lines to both recovery points on both vehicles)
  2. Kinetic pull (ideally as you mention with a bridle)
For whatever reason jack-assisted recoveries and traction pulls, although very common (in my experience at least), seem under-represented on YouTube. Perhaps because jacking is most often in ramp-over type strandings with long wheel base vehicles, not short wheel base rock hopping etc. Anyway, might be handy for the IG.

Where would things most often go pear-shaped in Arizona/where you plan on going? Desert/Soft sand? Could be of course one only needs what one needs…
I grew up in the Florida panhandle, so I'm very wary of sand, because it's so soft there. Here in Arizona, our monsoon season can cause some what appears to be good ground to traverse, but the surface is only a few inches think, with mud the consistency of chocolate pudding (AKA pig *feces* mud) feet thick, which just sucks you down to the axles in a couple of seconds. It can be extremely challenging. I once had a coworker get stuck in his 4x4 pickup, and then a second 4x4 recovery truck got stuck, then a Hummer H1 (Military version) and finally, the Army National Guard gents attached to us got a 8X8 HEMTT out to pull out the Hummer and got it stuck. Buried to the frame. Had to leave everything there a week until it dried out enough for a local rancher to bring out his tracked bulldozer and get everything out.

But, the areas I've driven (working as a Border Patrol Agent) have been sandy washes, some small rock crawling on mountain trails and occasional mud and a little snow.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:42 PM
Reaction score
I once had a coworker get stuck in his 4x4 pickup, and then a second 4x4 recovery truck got stuck, then a Hummer H1 (Military version) and finally, the Army National Guard gents attached to us got a 8X8 HEMTT out to pull out the Hummer and got it stuck. Buried to the frame. Had to leave everything there a week until it dried out enough for a local rancher to bring out his tracked bulldozer and get everything out.

Please tell me you have photos. 🙏

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I grew up in the Florida panhandle, so I'm very wary of sand, because it's so soft there. Here in Arizona, our monsoon season can cause some what appears to be good ground to traverse, but the surface is only a few inches think, with mud the consistency of chocolate pudding (AKA pig *feces* mud) feet thick, which just sucks you down to the axles in a couple of seconds. It can be extremely challenging. I once had a coworker get stuck in his 4x4 pickup, and then a second 4x4 recovery truck got stuck, then a Hummer H1 (Military version) and finally, the Army National Guard gents attached to us got a 8X8 HEMTT out to pull out the Hummer and got it stuck. Buried to the frame. Had to leave everything there a week until it dried out enough for a local rancher to bring out his tracked bulldozer and get everything out.

But, the areas I've driven (working as a Border Patrol Agent) have been sandy washes, some small rock crawling on mountain trails and occasional mud and a little snow.
Wow. Yep, some surfaces are simply unpassable - huge expanses in northern Oz are either inundated or oily muck through the tropical wet season. These are stay home/close the road conditions.

In the case of sand the other technique one might suggest having in your quiver not previously mentioned would be the use of a sand anchor/spare wheel as a winch point of last resort. This one for beaches and sandy deserts (eg deep sand, no trees).

Do you guys typically patrol as single vehicles or in convoy? Difficult work.

I think the closest analogue we’d have is our Regional Force Surviellance units in Northern Australia. This is a reserve force ~70% indigineous personnel operating largely on Native Title lands equipped with MB W461 ADF G-Wagons. They keep an eye out for irregular arrivals by boat In our case.

Last edited:

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Wow. Yep, some surfaces are simply unpassable - huge expanses in northern Oz are either inundated or oily muck through the tropical wet season. These are stay home/close the road conditions.

In the case of sand the other technique one might suggest having in your quiver not previously mentioned would be the use of a sand anchor/spare wheel as a winch point of last resort. This one for beaches and sandy deserts (eg deep sand, no trees).

Do you guys typically patrol as single vehicles or in convoy? Difficult work.

I think the closest analogue we’d have is our Regional Force Surviellance units in Northern Australia. This is a reserve force ~70% indigineous personnel operating largely on Native Title lands equipped with MB W461 ADF G-Wagons. They keep an eye out for irregular arrivals by boat In our case.
Well, I've just retired (5 days as a free man) but generally, our patrols are one man one vehicle. Maybe another agent will come help if you're getting ready to interdict a group. Lots more come if it's thought to be drug smugglers.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well, I've just retired (5 days as a free man) but generally, our patrols are one man one vehicle. Maybe another agent will come help if you're getting ready to interdict a group. Lots more come if it's thought to be drug smugglers.
Congrats! Well, speed on Ineos availability in the US, get you out on trails for recreation rather than work.

Back
Top Bottom