The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Raised Air Intake pre-filtering

Bobby Mac

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:37 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a Gred with the cyclonic filter? Anyone have that setup than can share a pic?
I have one on mine - probably the one DenisM saw - they are not pretty but form over function as they say, and I had to paint out the white logos/brand advertising which improved it a little. The upper section of the air intake pipe is changed so that it adapts from a ‘squareish’ section to round to accommodate the filter.
I had a glass bowl Donaldson on my old Defender which did a great job. It amazed me the amount of crap it collected.
One thing I would question with the Grenny is, if it is only a raised air intake and not a snorkel (not fully sealed in it’s entirety), then what’s to stop dust entering those unsealed areas? Anyone who’s been outback will know that dust will find it’s way into areas that water can’t‼️

Attachments

• IMG_6300.jpeg
    IMG_6300.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6299.jpeg
    IMG_6299.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 36

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:37 AM
Reaction score
I wonder if you could just buy a cloth vacuum sock for a bin-style vac an air it straight over the inlet... 3x cable ties and you would be set! Or similar!! It would look pretty av but for those dusty laden runs.
1700434567847.png

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It’s funny how snorkel socks seem to be all the rage at the moment. I’ve never used them and haven’t had issues with dust getting into the airbox past the filter. Just cleaned out the filter every second day and replace regularly.

I’d love some real world experience comparison of how dirty the filters are between a socked and unsocked snorkel on an identical trip. I mean every bit of protection is a good thing, but I’ve never thought it a mandatory purchase.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you are cleaning the filter every second day, a sock is not needed. But I was tail-end Charlie through the Simpson Desert and the Donaldson filter, fitted to the Patrol, was a must have. It really helped keep the air filter clean.

Local time
Reaction score
It’s funny how snorkel socks seem to be all the rage at the moment. I’ve never used them and haven’t had issues with dust getting into the airbox past the filter. Just cleaned out the filter every second day and replace regularly.

I’d love some real world experience comparison of how dirty the filters are between a socked and unsocked snorkel on an identical trip. I mean every bit of protection is a good thing, but I’ve never thought it a mandatory purchase.
Years ago before all the electronic engines came along I went to buy these socks from a workshop in Alice Springs for my Patrol. He refused to sell and didn't stock them because he had seen damaged engines. Mainly diesel overfueling and overheating because of excessive air intake restriction. Probably not so much a problem now because the computer controlled engine will reduce fuel with excessive air intake restriction. We see this happening at work with the old mechanical graders that will push large amounts of black smoke and overheat with blocked air filters while the new electronic graders will derate the engine. The biggest issue now is oil filled air filters drawing the oil onto the MAF sensors and causing faults.

Local time
Reaction score
If you are cleaning the filter every second day, a sock is not needed. But I was tail-end Charlie through the Simpson Desert and the Donaldson filter, fitted to the Patrol, was a must have. It really helped keep the air filter clean.
Be careful cleaning air filters. Most people use excessive air pressure that can cause damage to the filter media that cannot be seen. An air filter works the best with some dust load because the larger pores in the filter media become blocked. The media does not have a uniform pore size unless it is a high quality very expensive type similar to Hepa filters. Excessive cleaning of the filter can lead to the filter to become less efficient and lets dust through. Most earthmoving machines have a secondary smaller safety air filter inside the larger main air filter something that no 4x4 has so cleaning the outer filters is very common but is only done 3 or 4 times prior to the filter being scrapped.
The very fine dust is also a health hazard, it can lead to silicosis so keep the kids away when cleaning air filters.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Be careful cleaning air filters. Most people use excessive air pressure that can cause damage to the filter media that cannot be seen. An air filter works the best with some dust load because the larger pores in the filter media become blocked. The media does not have a uniform pore size unless it is a high quality very expensive type similar to Hepa filters. Excessive cleaning of the filter can lead to the filter to become less efficient and lets dust through. Most earthmoving machines have a secondary smaller safety air filter inside the larger main air filter something that no 4x4 has so cleaning the outer filters is very common but is only done 3 or 4 times prior to the filter being scrapped.
The very fine dust is also a health hazard, it can lead to silicosis so keep the kids away when cleaning air filters.
wise words!(y)

Last edited:

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:37 PM
Reaction score

In north africa i have seen many locals using two layers of nylon stockings to hold off sand in stormy conditions.

Back
Top Bottom