The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Raised Air Intake pre-filtering

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:37 PM
Reaction score
IMG_1242.jpeg

Anyone thought about fitting a snorkel sock?

Nothing yet available off the shelf, or so it seems. I had a look at an internally-fitted example however the hex(?)agonal cross section was an issue, the ones I could find anticipate a circular cross section and don’t seat properly.

Externally, there’s not enough of a projection to grab onto a ram-air style, which leaves sticking the whole top section into a sock-style filter.

This however is exceedingly messy while also looking pants.

Avoiding the cyclonic pre-filter as this issue is an occasional thing. Might consider a smaller Donaldson once an adaptor emerges. Perhaps that’s one for the 3D printers.

Welcome any thoughts…

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Very basic, but higher quality swimming pool filter socks have a dense weave but very permeable, and would fit, and be easy to cable tie on… could use 2, and quickly see if the second one had less dirt as a gauge of effectiveness?

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I realise they will be plentiful where you are atm, 😂 but then what isnt? Dirt, flies and burgers…

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a Gred with the cyclonic filter? Anyone have that setup than can share a pic?

Fidei Defensor

Contract Signed
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7833039

Nothing yet available off the shelf, or so it seems. I had a look at an internally-fitted example however the hex(?)agonal cross section was an issue, the ones I could find anticipate a circular cross section and don’t seat properly.

Externally, there’s not enough of a projection to grab onto a ram-air style, which leaves sticking the whole top section into a sock-style filter.

Avoiding the cyclonic pre-filter as this issue is an occasional thing. Might consider a smaller Donaldson once an adaptor emerges. Perhaps that’s one for the 3D printers.

Welcome any thoughts…
Youy could make your own with air conditioner foam sheets. Cut to fit the inlet, secure with black duct tape...... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XN3V218/?tag=globalgrena0b-20

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a Gred with the cyclonic filter? Anyone have that setup than can share a pic?
A cyclonic separator is offered as an Ineos option for the raised air intake. Sorry don't have pics... saw one fitted on a new delivery at the local Ineos (Brisbane) dealership a few weeks back... not "pretty" ... but "pretty" effective! (definitely function over form...in the desert who cares what it looks like!!😉)

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
A cyclonic separator is offered as an Ineos option for the raised air intake. Sorry don't have pics... saw one fitted on a new delivery at the local Ineos (Brisbane) dealership a few weeks back... not "pretty" ... but "pretty" effective! (definitely function over form...in the desert who cares what it looks like!!😉)
Ive seen photos of the one on offer, but have not yet seen one attached - I imagine the upper “tube” has to be different, right?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:37 PM
Reaction score
Surely there is something half that size which works? Are there spare ropes and tie downs in that cupboard space???
Could try fitting a mushroom style similar to the 70 series

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231119_123320_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231119_123320_Chrome.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 5

James

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ineos’ is designed for environments like mines, extreme particulates. I think that market is one they are pitching to.

globabgregors commented on that being too much for him; also that the smaller open market type might be worth fitting when there’s an adaptor avaiable. But right now he needs quick and (not) dirty….

as well as the excellent aircon foam idea, some vacuum cleaner bags come with a square of pre-filter, and ag machinery dealers may have something designed for harvesting time; very similar problems….

Local time
1:37 PM
Reaction score
Donaldson has some precleaners that are reliable and easy to get parts. Just need the adaptor elbow from the RAI to the Top Spin.
The Topspin can get noisy and vibrate.
Donaldson Topspin.pngDonaldson Precleaner.pngThe old style clear precleaner are light, cheap work well but do have induction noise. The Donadlson Top Spin that Ineos offers is off the shelf. Have to position the dust exhaust in place not to drop the dust on the glass.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
View attachment 7833039

Welcome any thoughts…
I asked Unifilter Australia to make a sock several months ago (March or April) but have not heard anything further (I have not chased them either). Unifilter did say they needed to see a car with a raised intake fitted.

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If it's "in extremis"... the local super market or pharmacy has "pads" from babies nappies which can be held in place by a "sock" fashioned from heavy denier panty hose. Before I'm bombarded with wry humour, I can vouch that such a filtration system was the basis for a Health and Safety exercise years ago when the commercial asbestos filters failed... the young "graduate" engineer on staff bought a carton of nappies etc and got to work. A day later the airborne asbestos count was the lowest it had been for a couple of weeks even before the $$$$$filters failed.
Just a thought... ;)

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Donaldson has some precleaners that are reliable and easy to get parts. Just need the adaptor elbow from the RAI to the Top Spin.
The Topspin can get noisy and vibrate.
View attachment 7833069View attachment 7833070The old style clear precleaner are light, cheap work well but do have induction noise. The Donadlson Top Spin that Ineos offers is off the shelf. Have to position the dust exhaust in place not to drop the dust on the glass.
Yes, sourcing the adaptor elbow is logical except that I fear it would be remain in purgatory with my rear door table, cargo barrier, seat covers, 6FT roof rack, additional spare wheel and so on. All of which we are admittedly getting on just fine without.

Otherwise I’m all for a top spin, had one on the Jeep and it worked a treat.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If it's "in extremis"... the local super market or pharmacy has "pads" from babies nappies which can be held in place by a "sock" fashioned from heavy denier panty hose. Before I'm bombarded with wry humour, I can vouch that such a filtration system was the basis for a Health and Safety exercise years ago when the commercial asbestos filters failed... the young "graduate" engineer on staff bought a carton of nappies etc and got to work. A day later the airborne asbestos count was the lowest it had been for a couple of weeks even before the $$$$$filters failed.
Just a thought... ;)
Nappies and panty hose. This will take some explaining. :ROFLMAO:

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I asked Unifilter Australia to make a sock several months ago (March or April) but have not heard anything further (I have not chased them either). Unifilter did say they needed to see a car with a raised intake fitted.
We put a call through to Unifilter who were helpful with our experimentation.
On the topic, if anyone is ever passing through Alice Springs the team at TJM literally couldn’t be more helpful.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ive seen photos of the one on offer, but have not yet seen one attached - I imagine the upper “tube” has to be different, right?
Yes, correct - getting this tube represents the first hurdle.
My original plan was to pop a Donaldson top spin on instead of the Ineos bucket.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom