The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Radio, Satellite, and Adventure Communications

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
There are holes in the roof to allow passage of cables - I would suspect these are standard - I just added my own second grommet with a step drill bit and drilled through the plastic. Even without the electrical outlet boxes this should be doable. I bet the holes are present in the metal no matter what.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
The final look:

HF antenna

View attachment 7821352

Note I had to drill and tap a 5mm bolt into the grab handle as they spin in their brackets and the antenna would fall sideways!! I am intending the screw eventually to be a torx bolt in black to match the look.

View attachment 7821353

2/70 antenna:

View attachment 7821354
This is at least the second post to inform that the ‘grab handles’ can rotate in their mounting brackets. Hope that doesn’t catch someone out who tries to grip them when climbing up!

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Just needs a winding handle and a ratchet, then we'll have self tightening tie downs. 🤔

Local time
Reaction score
We have Baofeng handhelds, a Midland MXT575 GMRS, and a Midland CB.

Both Midlands are in my power wagon, including one of the Baofengs. I will probably replicate the same models in the IG. Both have the controls built into the handset. The CB is an all in one and can also be a handheld. The GMRS brain is under the driver seat.
View attachment 7795630
Is the bracket system in the photo commercially available?

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
A few minutes in , Ronny says he was seriously considering a Grenadier but had bought the Troopy.
He still wants one I think.

View: https://youtu.be/S9_CP4ZTKpM
Love love love 5:40 where he ridicules a certain someone for bagging the Grenadier when he hasn’t even driven it and because he didn’t get given one for free. 😂😂😂😂

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:28 AM
Reaction score
There are holes in the roof to allow passage of cables - I would suspect these are standard - I just added my own second grommet with a step drill bit and drilled through the plastic. Even without the electrical outlet boxes this should be doable. I bet the holes are present in the metal no matter what.
20230807_205301.jpg
I have a GME XRS330C which I keep in the cubby, along with the handset when not in use, otherwise it resides in one of the cup holders. The 2.1dB antenna happily sits on the roof via its magnetic mount. The cable easily slots within the ample folds of the rear passenger door double seal. I need to relocate the handset properly, probably with the extension cable. The small antenna works perfectly well for several km and is very useful for convoy or chatting with nearby trucks. I have a 6.3dB antenna on a GME folding mount but need to work out how to fit it. For the time being, the "stealth " antenna works well!

Last edited:

Burki

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
The final look:

HF antenna

View attachment 7821352

Note I had to drill and tap a 5mm bolt into the grab handle as they spin in their brackets and the antenna would fall sideways!! I am intending the screw eventually to be a torx bolt in black to match the look.

View attachment 7821353

2/70 antenna:

View attachment 7821354
H @Burki

I ran two coax cables - one each side for HF and 2/70 and an extra antenna controller wire on one side (which I ran through an additional grommet in the existing electrical cover box.

View attachment 7821331

First take out the doorstep cover (just pull out), then remove the single floor bolt (10mm) in the grey panel.

View attachment 7821310

Then remove the big torx bolt and the tie-down point:

View attachment 7821311
View attachment 7821312

Then I used some cheap trim tools (avoids scratching the plastic etc) to take off the covers and the plastic trim from the pillar and the rear roof edge:

View attachment 7821313

View attachment 7821314

I removed the grab handle (6 torx bolts), the DTP connector (allows the wires to pull out through the grommet (gromet has a cable tie on the back), and ran my coax through the existing grommet (it is a tight fit but doable):

View attachment 7821316

Put the grommet back in!!

View attachment 7821317

Run coax behind the pillar (beware airbags if fitted)
View attachment 7821318

View attachment 7821319

Hope that helps!!

Tom

I have finished my installation work so far.
What about a 20m qso from grenny to grenny?
Frequency preferably 14.313 mc or higher. In the morning the skip would be optimal.
Call sign is DF5XV.
www.classicbroadcast.de
gren_3.jpg

Burki

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
Next week I will be in Southern France, anybody on 20m qrv (14.29 mc plus minus qrm)?

Attachments

• My Grenny.pdf
    394 KB · Views: 23

Julian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Tom,

Do you mind telling me which brand and model that 2/70 antenna mount please? It looks like it would be quite suitable for my purposes as I'd like to minimise the overall vehicle height if possible. Did it come with the SO239(?) connector and cable, or was that a separate purchase?

Many thanks
Julian
GM7MTK

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @Julian

It took me a while to find the bits to my liking - the right angled SO239 connector is by Sirio

Sirio website

the mount is from

The UK 4x4 Centre (Norfolk CB shack)

Both are available on eBay:

The coax is Messi and Paoloni with their connectors for a very high quality finish which is watertight.

73 mate

Tom
M0RMY

Julian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @Julian

It took me a while to find the bits to my liking - the right angled SO239 connector is by Sirio

Sirio website

the mount is from

The UK 4x4 Centre (Norfolk CB shack)

Both are available on eBay:

The coax is Messi and Paoloni with their connectors for a very high quality finish which is watertight.

73 mate

Tom
M0RMY
Hi Tom

Many thanks for the quick reply and info, I'll go and check these out. I use Messi & Paoloni Ultraflex7 in the shack and I've never had a problem with it so I approve :)
I only got "Gordon the Grenadier", or Gordo for brevity, on Friday so only just starting to think about kitting it out. The adventure begins!

73 Julian

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Tom

Many thanks for the quick reply and info, I'll go and check these out. I use Messi & Paoloni Ultraflex7 in the shack and I've never had a problem with it so I approve :)
I only got "Gordon the Grenadier", or Gordo for brevity, on Friday so only just starting to think about kitting it out. The adventure begins!

73 Julian

This is even better @Julian

Julian

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

This is even better @Julian
Hi Tom, many thanks for this. Not had a chance to follow up any of your pointers, just been too busy. But will get on to these at the weekend

Nocrays

Production/Transit
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
Like others on this thread I use a variety of comms tools.

I used to run the Codan NGT HF rig on my defender but after a mate lost a vehicle to a spinifex fire and improvements in tech I have altered the set up to more mobile systems and a grab bag.

I will have a mobile phone, Garmin mini, PLB for emergency use. Installed I have a GmE 390 UHF.
Thinking about taking up an amateur radio licence as I have access to Dads mobile ham gear (VK6DX)

Mapping I have both elec and paper. I did a lot of remote planning in WA while I was with the Navy and still have reams of defence maps down to 10,000:1. I prefer to map out in paper first and then set waypoints to GPS mapping software. It tends to gives me better awareness of where I will be just in case things goes pear shaped.

Back
Top Bottom