The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Quatermaster cab chassis

Sam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:48 AM
Reaction score
... from the images looks like it'll come with another (third - shortest) variant of the rhino roof rack ...

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
I think the Quartermaster ute is as ugly as a hat full of backsides but the cab chassis has potential, will be fascinating to see what the aftermarket providers design for it.

Local time
8:48 PM
Reaction score
The cab chassis will be the easiest to modify. Alloy tray, spare tyre between the tray and chassis at the back and there looks to be enough room to fit an extra fuel tank behind the cab under the tray. Dump the bumper don't need that on a tray back in Australia. Using an alloy tray may give 80 to 100kg extra payload over the box.

AWo

Local time
9:48 PM
Reaction score
I can't imagine, yet, that any commercial guy would buy a Quartermaster for his business.

Why?

1. Price
2. Load capability
3. With all the experience here in this forum, if you earn money with your Pick-up would you and your business rely on the dealer (which often seem to struggle with Ineos service, too) or Ineos service to get the car going again? Fast repairs (knowing that spare parts must be requested by telephone as there is no spare part ordering system available for any dealer) are not what you're experiencing, actually (by reading here in this forum).

VW had this issue a few years ago. They lost many commercial customers because despite having an established service organization, they lacked the mindset of what it means if a commercially used car needs repair/service.

Today VW moved that to MAN/VWN as they always dealt with commercial customers and they immediately know, when the customer calls, if and why help is urgent.

Is Ineos ready for this?

There is more to it than just selling a nice car.

AWo

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can't imagine, yet, that any commercial guy would buy a Quartermaster for his business.

Why?

1. Price
2. Load capability
3. With all the experience here in this forum, if you earn money with your Pick-up would you and your business rely on the dealer (which often seem to struggle with Ineos service, too) or Ineos service to get the car going again? Fast repairs (knowing that spare parts must be requested by telephone as there is no spare part ordering system available for any dealer) are not what you're experiencing, actually (by reading here in this forum).

VW had this issue a few years ago. They lost many commercial customers because despite having an established service organization, they lacked the mindset of what it means if a commercially used car needs repair/service.

Today VW moved that to MAN/VWN as they always dealt with commercial customers and they immediately know, when the customer calls, if and why help is urgent.

Is Ineos ready for this?

There is more to it than just selling a nice car.

AWo
The largest user of cab chassis in Australia is on the many many mine sites in remote areas.
They service their own vehicles.
Most never get road registered.
Several years ago I was having a drink with a guy in Perth Western Australia who was celebrating getting an order for 700 vehicles from a major mining company.

1710351439364.png1710351620173.png

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The cab chassis will be the easiest to modify. Alloy tray, spare tyre between the tray and chassis at the back and there looks to be enough room to fit an extra fuel tank behind the cab under the tray. Dump the bumper don't need that on a tray back in Australia. Using an alloy tray may give 80 to 100kg extra payload over the box.
It has appeared on the Australian configurator but you can't play with it yet
1710353255696.png

Local time
Reaction score
Its interesting how the vehicles used in fleets or other commercial purposes vary from country to country. Its a study in trade policy, the strength of green parties and fuel-prices, the history of urban infrastructure, among other things.

While the old Defender was used on farms or for other commercial uses in the U.K. and some other countries, it was never used on farms, in mines, by constructions contractors, or by landscapers in the United States. Similarly, we never got commercial versions of the G-Wagen or Unimogs here. Heavy duty American-made pickup trucks dominate this type of work in the U.S. (Ford F-250, F-350, and similar vehicles from Ram and Chevy). For lighter commercial use, you also see the Ford F-150, Ram 1500, Chevy 1500 and Toyota Tundras being used - but these are still much larger than the Quartermaster.

In general - due both to high cost and small bed-size - the Quartermaster will not be adopted for commercial use in the U.S.

Have they stopped production of the 4.5 liter V8 diesel in the 70-series Landcruiser? If they are still making that engine, its hard to imagine that the Quartermaster would replace the 70-series truck for mining use, or other tough commercial use. The 70-series is far simpler, more durable, and has a higher payload. Most mines or commercial fleet owners won't care that it rides rough when the bed is empty.

2022_70-Series.jpg

It seems like the market for the Quartermaster will be for touring and other recreational uses. These buyers do care how the vehicle rides, and will appreciate the greater refinement of the Ineos.

Unfortunately for U.S. buyers, a chassis-cab version of the Quartermaster will not escape the dreaded "chicken tax". That loophole was closed back in the 1980s. Wikipedia has a good entry on the chicken tax, if you've got a couple of minutes and have an interest in trade relations.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Its interesting how the vehicles used in fleets or other commercial purposes vary from country to country. Its a study in trade policy, the strength of green parties and fuel-prices, the history of urban infrastructure, among other things.

While the old Defender was used on farms or for other commercial uses in the U.K. and some other countries, it was never used on farms, in mines, by constructions contractors, or by landscapers in the United States. Similarly, we never got commercial versions of the G-Wagen or Unimogs here. Heavy duty American-made pickup trucks dominate this type of work in the U.S. (Ford F-250, F-350, and similar vehicles from Ram and Chevy). For lighter commercial use, you also see the Ford F-150, Ram 1500, Chevy 1500 and Toyota Tundras being used - but these are still much larger than the Quartermaster.

In general - due both to high cost and small bed-size - the Quartermaster will not be adopted for commercial use in the U.S.

Have they stopped production of the 4.5 liter V8 diesel in the 70-series Landcruiser? If they are still making that engine, its hard to imagine that the Quartermaster would replace the 70-series truck for mining use, or other tough commercial use. The 70-series is far simpler, more durable, and has a higher payload. Most mines or commercial fleet owners won't care that it rides rough when the bed is empty.

View attachment 7848017

It seems like the market for the Quartermaster will be for touring and other recreational uses. These buyers do care how the vehicle rides, and will appreciate the greater refinement of the Ineos.

Unfortunately for U.S. buyers, a chassis-cab version of the Quartermaster will not escape the dreaded "chicken tax". That loophole was closed back in the 1980s. Wikipedia has a good entry on the chicken tax, if you've got a couple of minutes and have an interest in trade relations.

Probably two largest use dual cab chassis mine vehicles in Australia
Hilux with a 2.4 L Diesel and 70 series with a 2.8 l diesel.
Both have delivery problems
1710356179800.png
1710355974033.png1710356104705.png

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7848017

The mines don't necessarily need the V8, the 4 will be fine as the majority of mine work is restricted to low speed low load work. There are some moving over to Mahindra as they are half the price of a 70/HiLux and the durability is good.
I honestly doubt the QM will be an option for the miners in Australia.

Last edited:

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:48 PM
Reaction score
If not being registered and you are quoting on an order of 6 or 700 there is a hell of a lot of compliance gear that isn't needed...so they could be a very basic vehicle in my mind...I have a feeling I read the Toyota do something similar with electric.

8500 electric Toyota HiLuxes and LandCruisers for mining, ...

CarExpert
https://www.carexpert.com.au › Car News › Toyota
17 Jan 2023 — Diesel done: The mining industry is electrifying, with 8500 HiLux and LandCruiser-based EVs developed by SEA Electric.

Local time
Reaction score
The mines don't necessarily need the V8, sonthe 4 will be fine as the majority of mine work is restricted to low speed low load work. There are some moving over to Mahindra as they are half the price of a 70/HiLux and the durability is good.
That was really my point - that the 70-series is a better match for mining use in Australia than the QM. We don't get the 70 here, so I don't know much about the engine options. I drove a 70 with the 4.5 V8 for 5 weeks back in 2007 - but its my only experience with a 70. I'm also not familiar with your other commercial options (Mahindra, etc.) - I was just expressing doubt that the QM would find a home in the mines of Australia when there are cheaper options that have good reliability and better payload. It seems like the QM will be popular with the overland / touring crowd, many of whom will prefer it to the "old-school" 70-series.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The mines don't necessarily need the V8, sonthe 4 will be fine as the majority of mine work is restricted to low speed low load work. There are some moving over to Mahindra as they are half the price of a 70/HiLux and the durability is good.
I was told by one large mining customer that the Mahindras lasted less than 6 months (that was 3-4 years ago)
The problem is the extra ROPS fit out for the Mahindra is the same price as for the Toyota so you end up only saving around 30%

I was contacted by a senior employee of Ineos Automotive when he was at a mining conference.
He said they loved and were very interested in the Grenadier, but wanted a cab chassis version.
Hence we have one.

They still love the 70 series but availability has been very difficult and comfort is very poor.
70 series only last 2-3 years
Also said fleet buy pricing needed to be very aggressive.
They will probably pay 30-40% less than public will pay.
I can see a base Utility model for large mining fleets probably being about AUD$80,000

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That was really my point - that the 70-series is a better match for mining use in Australia than the QM. We don't get the 70 here, so I don't know much about the engine options. I drove a 70 with the 4.5 V8 for 5 weeks back in 2007 - but its my only experience with a 70. I'm also not familiar with your other commercial options (Mahindra, etc.) - I was just expressing doubt that the QM would find a home in the mines of Australia when there are cheaper options that have good reliability and better payload. It seems like the QM will be popular with the overland / touring crowd, many of whom will prefer it to the "old-school" 70-series.
Payload isn't a problem in the mines as they aren't allowed to load them up on a day to day use.
Largest load i saw on one was 3 family size pizza's in the tray at 1 am in Kalgoorlie.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was told by one large mining customer that the Mahindras lasted less than 6 months (that was 3-4 years ago)
The problem is the extra ROPS fit out for the Mahindra is the same price as for the Toyota so you end up only saving around 30%

I was contacted by a senior employee of Ineos Automotive when he was at a mining conference.
He said they loved and were very interested in the Grenadier, but wanted a cab chassis version.
Hence we have one.

They still love the 70 series but availability has been very difficult and comfort is very poor.
70 series only last 2-3 years
Also said fleet buy pricing needed to be very aggressive.
They will probably pay 30-40% less than public will pay.
I can see a base Utility model for large mining fleets probably being about AUD$80,000
Many things have changed in recent years, I know for a fact that many medium to small miners are swapping out the Prado for Scorpio and abusing the hell out of the tray back and its coming back for more. The hot shot couriers use them for mine delivery and are getting 600k + klms from them.
It's a tough sell after using Toyota's for decades but they are being pushed by the lack of supply to other brands.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Many things have changed in recent years, I know for a fact that many medium to small miners are swapping out the Prado for Scorpio and abusing the hell out of the tray back and its coming back for more. The hot shot couriers use them for mine delivery and are getting 600k + klms from them.
It's a tough sell after using Toyota's for decades but they are being pushed by the lack of supply to other brands.
I am sure back in 1958 when Thiess Constructions imported the first Toyota Landcruisers into Australia nobody wanted to use inferior Japanese product compared to the old reliable Landrovers.
They used them for the Snowy Mountain Scheme power station they were building and it says the next major customer was Mt Newman Mining in Western Australia.
The wheels turn - no pun intended.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom