The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Press Review - what do you want to see…?

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:06 PM
Reaction score

Solmanic

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would like to see some articles confirming that the W463 G-Wagen is still the better option.... until such time as I have sold mine. 😉

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score

Bushguide

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah a bit bloody rude if they didn’t run it past you first.

Unless it lands you a big fish I suppose.
THats right. After some quick phone calls to the journalist complaining, there have been some alterations made to the article now we are told.

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:06 AM
Reaction score
I can’t wait to see a real unprejudiced comparison between the Grenadier and the new Defender. I was all over the Grenadier since its inception and ordered one early, then ordered a Defender since the lead time for the Grenadier seemed to be ever lengthening. Defender came through first. I still like the looks of the Grenadier and off road it seemed fine to drive but having seen and sat in the production model I’m starting to have doubts. Cramped rear leg room, split rear doors were a bit awkward and, for sure, it’s deliberately utilitarian. But I find the aircraft-style instruments a bit gimmicky. The Defender is, frankly, luxurious and I’m thinking “what’s wrong with a bit of luxury?” As for the figures, on almost every off-road measure - approach/departure angles, wade depth etc, the Defender beats the Grenadier and, with the Grenadier price rises, its looking like there won’t be much between them on price. I didn’t like the new Defender on first sight. Now? I love it. But will the reviews be truly unbiased? I very much doubt it.

beanohallett

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
With deliveries in the UK not far off, any opinions on when IM will let the automotive press get their hands on production models..?

Assuming that this time is close, what area of performance would you be most interested in?

For me, it’s Road manners, 60% motorway and 38% B roads and 2% landfill sites. In particular, Road roar, cabin boom / noise at 75mph, body roll in the twistys and general ambiance.

From what I’ve already seen, it’s going to be very capable off road..
Good point I plan undertaking all my off roading at the moment on the M25 - the surface on it is "Quite Challenging Indeed" but as you say cabin noise on and off road and body roll / stability.

Local time
Reaction score
You probably should watch Sir Jim and Sir Lewis Hamilton in the car with Lewis Driving and if that isn't enough order a Porsche also, Oh! maybe an M Series BMW... happy motoring
I share Ever_Pragmatic and bigleonski's interest in wanting to know how the Grenadier handles on-road. And I don't think it makes sense to tell someone who wants to know how it drives on-road to "buy a Porsche". That notion is based on a false dichotomy - that there are two types of vehicles in the world: ones that are good off-road but crap on the highway, and sports cars. If you are okay spending $70-80,000 for an off-road vehicle that is terrible on-road, well, that's you. I think most people spending that kind of money expect the Grenadier to be "relatively good" on the road. What does "relatively good" mean? To me - at a minimum - it means better acceleration and handling than a 3.6 liter Jeep Wrangler (which is a relevant comparison given that both are solid axle-vehicles).

I don't expect the Grenadier to handle as precisely as an SUV with independent front suspension, but I also won't tolerate spending this kind of money for one that wanders all over the highway, and that bump-steers. I'm not suggesting that the Grenadier will wander on the highway - rather, I'm saying that a person is justified in wanting to know whether it does or does not.

I don't expect the Grenadier to accelerate like a sport SUV - because I'm not buying a sport SUV - but I also won't spend my money on a vehicle that can't perform on the roads that I drive with - what to me - is adequate power. I'm not suggesting the Grenadier lacks adequate power - rather, I'm saying that a person is justified in wanting to know whether it does or does not.

Please folks - stop telling us to "Buy a Porsche" if we want to know how it drives on road - just accept that not everyone shares your low expectations 😁

stick.jpg

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can’t wait to see a real unprejudiced comparison between the Grenadier and the new Defender. I was all over the Grenadier since its inception and ordered one early, then ordered a Defender since the lead time for the Grenadier seemed to be ever lengthening. Defender came through first. I still like the looks of the Grenadier and off road it seemed fine to drive but having seen and sat in the production model I’m starting to have doubts. Cramped rear leg room, split rear doors were a bit awkward and, for sure, it’s deliberately utilitarian. But I find the aircraft-style instruments a bit gimmicky. The Defender is, frankly, luxurious and I’m thinking “what’s wrong with a bit of luxury?” As for the figures, on almost every off-road measure - approach/departure angles, wade depth etc, the Defender beats the Grenadier and, with the Grenadier price rises, its looking like there won’t be much between them on price. I didn’t like the new Defender on first sight. Now? I love it. But will the reviews be truly unbiased? I very much doubt it.
I don't think it has to be a competition of which one is the best.
It should be which one is the best for you.

Spjnr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
There's also a big difference between an "offroad capable" vehicle, and an "offroad vehicle".

The Defender is the former, it has great electronic wizardry to get places most cars won't, but it's not designed to be used offroad day in, day out.

The Grenadier has been designed for this. Simple, robust design that can take a bit of abuse in the wet and slop, without succumbing to an early demise.

Don't read too much into approach and departure angles etc, both vehicles are more than adequate in this regard. What matters is how the vehicle fares when you find these limits and push past them.

I use offroad vehicles everyday in this regard. Towing in mud, through woods etc. In fact I've just got home from performing a snatch recovery on one of our tippers!

I wouldn't own a new Defender.

Local time
Reaction score
I don't think it has to be a competition of which one is the best.
It should be which one is the best for you.
Absolutely right. There was a time that I would drive from Boulder, Colorado to Indian Creek, Utah every weekend in the Spring, because that is the window for climbing in Indian Creek, which has some of the best desert climbing in the world. This is a 7-hour drive one way. Once there, you might drive down some dirt roads, but no actual off-road driving required. If you had to choose between the Defender and the Grenadier, the Defender would be the better option. If most of your driving is on muddy tracks or rocky trails, then hands down, the Grenadier is the better option. Most people have some mix of conditions and uses, and that's where the conversations becomes more nuanced. Everyone has a different intended end use.

Some pics of desert climbing - this is called "Ancient Art" (5 pitches, 5.11B in the Yosemite rating system)

AA_14.JPG
AA_15.JPG
AA_16.JPG

Last edited:

joejet

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All I want to know is how it drives on the road, I know it has to be better then my TD5 defender but can I drive at 80mph and still talk, will it warm up quicker. I will miss the heated windscreen and would love to know what it is like compared to a g waggon (maybe older g-waggon in the same price range) I dont want the new defender, there is not much else.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Forum Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I share Ever_Pragmatic and bigleonski's interest in wanting to know how the Grenadier handles on-road. And I don't think it makes sense to tell someone who wants to know how it drives on-road to "buy a Porsche". That notion is based on a false dichotomy - that there are two types of vehicles in the world: ones that are good off-road but crap on the highway, and sports cars. If you are okay spending $70-80,000 for an off-road vehicle that is terrible on-road, well, that's you. I think most people spending that kind of money expect the Grenadier to be "relatively good" on the road. What does "relatively good" mean? To me - at a minimum - it means better acceleration and handling than a 3.6 liter Jeep Wrangler (which is a relevant comparison given that both are solid axle-vehicles).

I don't expect the Grenadier to handle as precisely as an SUV with independent front suspension, but I also won't tolerate spending this kind of money for one that wanders all over the highway, and that bump-steers. I'm not suggesting that the Grenadier will wander on the highway - rather, I'm saying that a person is justified in wanting to know whether it does or does not.

I don't expect the Grenadier to accelerate like a sport SUV - because I'm not buying a sport SUV - but I also won't spend my money on a vehicle that can't perform on the roads that I drive with - what to me - is adequate power. I'm not suggesting the Grenadier lacks adequate power - rather, I'm saying that a person is justified in wanting to know whether it does or does not.

Please folks - stop telling us to "Buy a Porsche" if we want to know how it drives on road - just accept that not everyone shares your low expectations 😁

View attachment 7801613
as It stands, the roads where I live are now so pot holed and damaged I’ll be making the Gren my daily ride. My 530d Xd picks up every bump and uk roads are Generally awful. As you say, if the gren is a quiet, stable driving platform at 80mph, we’ll be both happy..

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Absolutely right. There was a time that I would drive from Boulder, Colorado to Indian Creek, Utah every weekend in the Spring, because that is the window for climbing in Indian Creek, which has some of the best desert climbing in the world. This is a 7-hour drive one way. Once there, you might drive down some dirt roads, but no actual off-road driving required. If you had to choose between the Defender and the Grenadier, the Defender would be the better option. If most of your driving is on muddy tracks or rocky trails, then hands down, the Grenadier is the better option. Most people have some mix of conditions and uses, and that's where the conversations becomes more nuanced. Everyone has a different intended end use.

Some pics of desert climbing - this is called "Ancient Art" (5 pitches, 5.11B in the Yosemite rating system)

View attachment 7801630
View attachment 7801631
View attachment 7801632
Like those climbing shots 👍

To

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A Grenadier and a New Defender cannot be compared. The latter looks like a modern dinosaur. The Grenadier is chic, rugged, rural, lovable, no frills. A car built just like the guys and women who will drive it. That's exactly how the Old Defender was. And I miss it. The New Defender is an insult to my eye, both conceptually and design-wise. That's why I bought the true new Defender. And it's called the Grenadier.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
8:06 PM
Reaction score
There's also a big difference between an "offroad capable" vehicle, and an "offroad vehicle".

The Defender is the former, it has great electronic wizardry to get places most cars won't, but it's not designed to be used offroad day in, day out.

The Grenadier has been designed for this. Simple, robust design that can take a bit of abuse in the wet and slop, without succumbing to an early demise.

Don't read too much into approach and departure angles etc, both vehicles are more than adequate in this regard. What matters is how the vehicle fares when you find these limits and push past them.

I use offroad vehicles everyday in this regard. Towing in mud, through woods etc. In fact I've just got home from performing a snatch recovery on one of our tippers!

I wouldn't own a new Defender.
if anything needs a photo then its a snatch recovery of a tippet in the woods. Don't hold out on us @Spjnr

Back
Top Bottom