The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Powering fridge external to the car

Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
Question for those wiser than I with 12V electrics.

When I camp somewhere for a few days, I'd like to be able to remove my Waeco (Dometic) 50L fridge from the vehicle, and keep it near the camp kitchen, under some shade, or under the tent awning. My car has the factory dual battery option and electrical preparation pack. My question is - what is the best way to power the fridge from the vehicle batteries (with the ignition turned off), and with all doors closed? At this stage I don't need to power caravans or anything else. Should I pull power from one of the roof outlets using the Deutsche plugs and a custom cable? Can I power it from the NATO plug without extensive modifications? Should I install a new Anderson plug to the rear of the car specifically for this purpose?

Let me know what you think.

Shorty

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Given the car fridge (relatively) low current draw, any of the roof outlets would suffice. Depending on how long you are camping between engine starts, you may require a CTek (or other) DC-DC charger as explained elsewhere, to enable you to charge said batteries via solar. I'd leave the NATO plug well alone for your (straightforward) application ... just my 2 cents worth!

Logsplitter

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:33 AM
Reaction score
Given the car fridge (relatively) low current draw, any of the roof outlets would suffice. Depending on how long you are camping between engine starts, you may require a CTek (or other) DC-DC charger as explained elsewhere, to enable you to charge said batteries via solar. I'd leave the NATO plug well alone for your (straightforward) application ... just my 2 cents worth!
Agreed the external sockets would power the fridge but as you said It would be desirable to use solar to charge the batteries. A suitcase style solar panel with inbuilt mppt controller could be connected to the jump start points under the bonnet as I do and still be able to shut the bonnet and lock the car.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
A suitcase style solar panel with inbuilt mppt controller could be connected to the jump start points under the bonnet as I do and still be able to shut the bonnet and lock the car.
And hope some lowlife doesn't pick up the suitcase and run!

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a Trialmaster, with dual batteries, but have chosen to install a third battery with DC to DC charger to power the fridge and other longer-term use and medium draw devices. The information out of INEOS and real and potential warranty issues combined with ever evolving and flaky software gives me no choice. I certainly don't want to be left stranded in the middle of nowhere and unable to start the car.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have a Trialmaster, with dual batteries, but have chosen to install a third battery with DC to DC charger to power the fridge and other longer-term use and medium draw devices. The information out of INEOS and real and potential warranty issues combined with ever evolving and flaky software gives me no choice. I certainly don't want to be left stranded in the middle of nowhere and unable to start the car.

Yep, I’m leaning that way. Slimline Lipo4 in the back to run the fridge, everything else from the Ineos set up. And a solar blanket hooked up to that via anderson plug to give ot life when parked up for a while.

Andrew Kilby

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, I’m leaning that way. Slimline Lipo4 in the back to run the fridge, everything else from the Ineos set up. And a solar blanket hooked up to that via anderson plug to give ot life when parked up for a while.
I have an Engel 40 litre and the battery fits nicely behind the fridge in what would otherwise be wasted space. Charger fits beside it also.

Top Cat

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:33 PM
Reaction score
Just got back from a week in the Flinders Ranges in 40 plus heat. Had my Engel fridge parked in the back running through a Hardkorr set up with Anderson plug straight to the battery. A solar system direct tot eh starter point under the bonnet works very well bringing in the juice.
Like Andrew, not feeling the love from Ineos and am very concerned that their hype about 2 battery system and c tek is not being supported by action when issues are reported. My Adelaide dealer is very very good and we are trying to work out why they put two normal batteries in with 15 year old technology. Looking at Redarc going in and c tek out and putting in a deep cycle.
To keep things positive, the Grenadier really did get put through some very iffy tracks and was, in my 40 years of civvy and military off roading experience, performed effortlessly!! The visibility from the r/h seat was terrific and it "felt" like it belonged in the bush. Just fix my wiring concerns please!!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
If you have a portable lithium battery box with DC-DC charger you can power a fridge, other devices (I can go up to 50A max) and inverter (mine's good for 100A draw), and charge from solar (suitacse or flex style) or via the vehicle's alternator when on the road.
I have the odd dual underseat battery arrangement and a Noco jumpstarter.

Back
Top Bottom