The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Portal Axles

Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
Carraro  is well known for their axles for tractors and earth-moving equipment , including those with portal axles. However, this brochure from Carrara indicates that they also make portal axles for on-highway use. Do you think we might, someday, see portal axles on the Grenadier? It could solve the problems (with trade offs) for those who are looking for higher ground clearance and larger tires.  

https://www.carraro.com/storage/app/uploads/public/5c7/d12/db3/OH_SpecialAxles__5c7d12db319ca005781366.pdf

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:18 AM
Reaction score
I recall it being mentioned early on that they were looking at portal axles but were focused on getting the base vehicle out first. Sorry I don’t have a reference for that.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
I think that portal axles are intended for vehicles with very specific tasks, for example the Unimog.

However, 98% of the time, overlanders and off-road vehicles do mostly not have such requirements. As nice as the possibilities of unlimited rock climbing may be, portal axes do not make any sense in view of the costs and effort for this type of application, especially not for the expected small proportion of users and opportunities.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks god we have an aftermarket. But don't expect this from a manufacturer.

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:18 PM
Reaction score
Guys, let's be honest. How many of you really need portal axes?
But for those who need them, I'm sure INEOS Automotive already has contacts with suppliers or may already be testing them in Iceland.

cheswick

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
[QUOTE username=rovie userid=8990308 postid=1332951880]Guys, let's be honest. How many of you really need portal axes?
But for those who need them, I'm sure INEOS Automotive already has contacts with suppliers or may already be testing them in Iceland.[/QUOTE]

I definitely don’t need them but I think it’s just a discussion. They are a much safer way of getting clearance but also more expensive. Having them as an option for military, search and rescue, fire, etc contracts would make the grenadier a viable candidate. 

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:18 AM
Reaction score
There's all sorts of real world benefits with portal axles, the gaining of ground clearance without the normal raising of bodywork, as mentioned above is significant; as is things like gear reduction and lower torque loadings on other elements of the drivetrain.

All in all it's a very suitable option for a working vehicle like the Grenadier. The fact that Carraro have a degree of expertise with them, makes me want to cross my fingers and hope that someone at Ineos will ask the appropriate question.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Portal axles are not made for long distance travels. Too much wear.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:18 AM
Reaction score
Yes ~ because no Unimog has ever been used as a base vehicle for travelling around the world.

Wear ~ it's just another gearset.

Speed is more an enemy than distance.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
5:18 PM
Reaction score
Portal axles are not made for long distance travels. Too much wear.
Increased maintenance surely but wear I'm not so sure (assuming that the correct oil change intervals and specification are used). I'd love to hear from someone that has used portals in the field and their experiences. The only portals I see here are on G Wagons with rubber bands for Tyres.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Yes ~ because no Unimog has ever been used as a base vehicle for travelling around the world.

'because' of what ? I don't get the causalities.

By the way:

I guess there are many more.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Sometimes hard to detect. ;-)
A smiley would have helped.

But thanks, I may have been too eager. 😇

Last edited:

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
From what I understand bigger tires give you more ground clearance but they also allow you to roll over larger things. As in roughly anything that you come across that less than half the diameter of the wheel you should just ride up on. Some thing taller than half of the diameter and you’re going to bonk on it.

So more ground clearance with smaller tires and less of the monster truck look would seem to fit in with the IG. I think the axles are fairly popular with G wagons, since I think those would look pretty silly with big rubber on them.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Some models of VW Kombi wagons had portal axles fitted as standard... made them ideal for overland travel..
Hyundai fitted a diesel Santa Fe with portal axles and massive low pressure tyres on 16" rims for an expedition to Antarctica to commemorate Shackleton's expedition https://www.hyundai.com/au/en/news/...hyundai-santa-fe-conquers-the-antarctic-drive
If only...:unsure:
Could you be so nice and search a picture of the VW Kombi wagon? As far as I know in Germany there is no vehicle of VW called „Kombi wagon“ so I guess it is a specific name for some region but probably for a car we know here under a different name.

Sillius Soddus

Production/Transit
Local time
Reaction score
Could you be so nice and search a picture of the VW Kombi wagon? As far as I know in Germany there is no vehicle of VW called „Kombi wagon“ so I guess it is a specific name for some region but probably for a car we know here under a different name.
Might be talking about the Kübelwagen. Those had portal axles if I’m not mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom